PDA

View Full Version : Competition

Shedhand
29th September 2008, 08:10 PM
What about a competition for making something out of old fence palings. I made some planters once and they looked OK. I can see a pile from my window and thinkin what a waste. Any interest and ideas?

RufflyRustic
29th September 2008, 08:36 PM
interesting.... :think:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2008, 08:44 PM
:? You must have different fence palings in your corner of the world.

Here, once they're removed they're called splinters. Or pulp, if you're looking at the end that pointed at the ground.

BobL
29th September 2008, 09:08 PM
How about one involving used brass plumbing bits?

Shedhand
29th September 2008, 09:11 PM
:? You must have different fence palings in your corner of the world.

Here, once they're removed they're called splinters. Or pulp, if you're looking at the end that pointed at the ground. Just weathered tas oak. They look ok sanded and finished with a glossy clear finish.

Shedhand
29th September 2008, 09:12 PM
How about one involving used brass plumbing bits?Or west australian dunderheads...:D

BobL
29th September 2008, 09:27 PM
Or west australian dunderheads...:D

OK then how about NEW brass plumbing bits then?:D

One job where I used old pickets and got serious brownie points with SWMBO was to make an old looking picket fence.

We live small inner city block and one side of our house the dining room windows are 750 mm from a 2 m high super6 asbestos fence. Although it is painted green it still looks like a super6 asbestos fence. SWMBO said I want something artistic to break up the super6 - so she buys a cheap wrought iron frame mirror which I hang so now we have a green super6 asbestos fence with a mirror on it. SWMBO said - it looks wrong - fix it. 24 hours later I'm driving in a neighborhood where it is council pick up day and laying right there on the verge are 3 dozen 2 m long pickets, half peeling, rusty nails hanging out of them etc

While SWMBO was out I knocked up a treated crapiata frame and nailed the old pickets to them, distressing them a little further with a belt sander with a 40 grit belt and mount the whole shebang in front of the window and remount the mirror . The 3 dozen pickets are just enough to cover the window view when looking from the inside. SWMBO thinks this is great and all is goot!

Cheers

STAR
29th September 2008, 09:54 PM
The only old fence pickets I have got around here is Ringlock picket fencing.:rolleyes:

AUSSIE
29th September 2008, 09:58 PM
Leave him alone.Tassy 2 heads and all that:D

Juffy
30th September 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm in, I've got a pile of jarrah palings sitting around waiting to be planed down...do I get bonus points for using the posts/rails as well? :)

Ozkaban
30th September 2008, 03:00 PM
I was actually hacking up an old hardwood fence post (red coloured hardwood) for firewood and was thinking I should do something useful with it... it's a decent chunk of timber too. one of two of them would make something pretty nice. Would make a fun competition.

I get quite a few of them (though few are red) - the local fencing guy drops off old fences when he's finished a job. Keeps the house warm and saves his tipping fees...

Cheers,
Dave

Shedhand
30th September 2008, 08:42 PM
a comp may be developing. :)

Shedhand
30th September 2008, 08:46 PM
I'm in, do I get bonus points for using the posts/rails as well :)no extra points but they can be used so long as they're from an old wooden fence.

Shedhand
30th September 2008, 08:47 PM
Leave him alone.Tassy 2 heads and all that:DHow very droll (and original...NOT) do you mean I have to think of a second reason for a comp? :cool::D

Allan at Wallan
30th September 2008, 08:53 PM
What about a competition for making something out of old fence palings. I made some planters once and they looked OK. I can see a pile from my window and thinkin what a waste. Any interest and ideas?

I made a bowl out of fence palings - the "woodies" couldn't picket.:D

Allan

Shedhand
30th September 2008, 08:54 PM
OK then how about NEW brass plumbing bits then?:D

One old picket fence and one side of our house is painted green it still looks artistic to a neighborhood where it is laying right there on the verge while I knocked up SWMBO!

CheersYou're just jealous I'm gonna reach 4000 posts before you....:q:q

funkychicken
30th September 2008, 08:56 PM
See there is an endless number of challenge options so just selecting one is ... I dunno. And palings are a bad choice, f'rinstance Juffy has Jarrah palings, I can get Brushbox, Ironbark, Blue Gum, Blackbutt or Bloodwood palings from work so we'd have an advantage over those who could only get treated pine ones. Palings also vary in size alot.

And the timing is wrong too. We're right in the middle of a challenge right now

Ozkaban
1st October 2008, 08:37 AM
See there is an endless number of challenge options so just selecting one is ... I dunno. And palings are a bad choice, f'rinstance Juffy has Jarrah palings, I can get Brushbox, Ironbark, Blue Gum, Blackbutt or Bloodwood palings from work so we'd have an advantage over those who could only get treated pine ones. Palings also vary in size alot.

And the timing is wrong too. We're right in the middle of a challenge right now

absolutely - let's wait for the pallet challenge to sort itself out for a bit. Fun thinking about it though!

cheers,
Dave

tea lady
1st October 2008, 10:29 AM
And you're only allowed ONE fence. No limit on how long the fence is.:D

Could be a challenge for the "big things" department.:cool:

Cliff Rogers
1st October 2008, 11:00 AM
I made a bloody great big bonfire out of ours on the weekend... they were rotten & took a bit to get them alight.

Shedhand
1st October 2008, 08:08 PM
I didn't mean another comp this minute. I asked what about...? and thoughts. That's all.:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2008, 08:12 PM
I didn't mean another comp this minute. I asked what about...? and thoughts. That's all.:)

That was your first mistake. :D

funkychicken
1st October 2008, 08:33 PM

That's actually how the Box Challenge was started:rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
1st October 2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe a project than incorporates a specific type of item, eg for want of anything else, a box that incorporates a brass plumbing fitting???:?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon3.gifEureka!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon3.gif

How 'bout we all make pallets!? :D

Ozkaban
2nd October 2008, 09:06 AM
Ok, so the comp seems to be:

"who can make the best box incorporating brass plumbing fittings out of recycled fence palings after the pallet comp is done"

have I got that right? :roll:

cheers,
Dave

NGX
2nd October 2008, 07:42 PM
This is a good read really, very funny and rewarding just reading, No work..lol ;) so far the box, brass thing turns me on to make some thing! Mmm so far so good.. :D

RufflyRustic
2nd October 2008, 09:01 PM
goodness, I'd better 'fess up then :Bthat I have a fantastic brass plumbing/gas part that has been just begging for a box for a couple of years now :whistling2:

Sawdust Maker
2nd October 2008, 09:49 PM
I've made firewood out of fence pailings - does that count :D

Shedhand
2nd October 2008, 10:05 PM
you're all insane....:oo::oo::oo::oo::oo::oo: let me outta this loony bin...:doh:

Woodlee
2nd October 2008, 10:27 PM
Cant enter this one , we don't have wooden fences up here .Star pickets or cyclone wire only .Too many termites.

I got an old Jarrah Planter box on the verandah , I been thinking of knocking it down into palings and making some thing with it.

Kev.