PDA

View Full Version : Chest of drawers as a starter

Chriller
30th September 2008, 03:30 PM
Hi all. I have 3 cupboards which I'm thinking of restoring (see pictures). I'm a novice and just wanted a few thoughts on which one I should start on :? - see pictures.

I'm thinking that with a bit of advice I should start on picture 1A (white cupboards) and then work my way up to picture 3A (inlaid mother of pearl in handles). Not sure what I want to do with them afterwards but would like to build their value and life as a result of the restorations.

Love to hear your ideas .
ta
Chris

munruben
30th September 2008, 04:51 PM
That should keep you out of mischief for a while..Lets see some pictures of WIP.

astrid
30th September 2008, 08:36 PM
There a lot of difference in the value of the white cupboard and the other two.
The white one will give you loads of practice stripping and refinishing that will either make you give up or get a passion for restoring.
Send it to a dipper that uses metholine chloride not caustic and take it from there

The other two are good peices.
have you allready stripped them?
get all the paint off, being careful not to scratch against the grain.
hand sand the mouldings with 240 grit and use a random orbital sander with 240 paper on the top and sides
Be gentle and dont rip away with it.......

On the other hand, forget them for the moment

Look, these are good peices and not really for a beginer.
If i were you, I would get an old kauri pine chest of drawer to practice on.
you can practice stripping, sanding and refinishing on an old but not very valuable piece,
get the feel for the job and not cause too much damage.

I really dont think you should do these without some experience
Theres too many mistakes to be made.
I have no idea of your skill level and a real beginer can make some innocent but truely awful stuff ups.
These pieces in good original condition sell for $3000 plus
best not mess with them untill you've had a bit of practice

Chriller
1st October 2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks Astrid, sounds like good advice. I probably won't get to start this for another 6 months and may decide to sell the 2nd and 3rd pieces as they are anyway.
cheers
Chris

hap97
1st October 2008, 06:36 PM
The white kitchen dresser will come up a charm.
I like this type of furniture as it is satisfying to see what lays beneath.
Check out the examples in my album. Click on my name Hap97, and go to the album link on the RHS.
hap97

Chriller
1st October 2008, 10:48 PM
Nice work and great photos of before and after. I can't wait to start on mine now !

Chriller
21st February 2009, 10:10 PM
I've sold the two chest of drawers today to Adrian at Paddington (antiques shop). Sad to see them go but too big a job for me - best to cut my losses.

Meanwhile I've stripped, filled and sanded the white kitchen cupboard (I'll get photos up soon). My dilemma is now what - I believe I've got two options;
- restore to original with the outside brass hinges etc.. Won't suit my house, probably wouldn't sell well, but might be OK as a gift to someone with a colonial house.
- modernise with hidden hinges etc. to use as a side cupboard in rumpus/loungeroom.

I'm leaning towards the last option, replace the glass with flat frosted glass, have an internal light, replace base with feet, but what colour ?

Any bright ideas ?
ta
Chris

seriph1
21st February 2009, 10:13 PM
hope you got at least a grand

hap97
22nd February 2009, 06:06 PM
A few suggestions...

Hinges: Keep the original, as they will probably fit better. If they are painted strip back to original. Make up a caustic soda bath (2 litres in a 4 litre plastic bucket with lid. KEEP SAFE.) Tie hinges onto a wire and soak. After a few hours the paint will lift off. Wash thoroughly in water. Clean with steel wool. What is the finish? If brass good. If steel, maybe plated. Use a gold colour spray to imitate brass (can look too clean!)
Purchase new hinges. They appear to be Traditional Hardware items.
Page C13 - Item 3799NP
http://www.tradco.com.au/wwwthc/

Handles: Buy new handles to suit. They appear to be replacements in the photo.
Locks: Buy new roller catches.
Glass: The original glass is probably un-replaceable, so has a retro character. Try covering the inside of the glass to get an even effect. Maybe a white curtain or even white acrylic on the inside.
Finish: What is the base timber?
Put up a photo.

Hilton

Chriller
22nd February 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks Hilton just the sort of detailed thoughts I need. Have a look at the attached photos;
- there are 2 types of handles, both steel/chrome but painted
- the hinges are metal as well
I'm thinking of looking at brass replacements - I hear there is a place in Woolloongba here in Brisbane that sells all this stuff. But I'll try your method and see what they look like first.

You can see the glass here - it might clean up well, as there isn't anything wrong with it really, if I'm going to keep the original look now.

It looks as though someone has hit the whole cupboard with a spray gun at one stage - I could see a layer of greenish paint under the pale yellow that was on top. How would I go about cleaning the residue paint off the inside timber - stripper again and light sand (what a pain) ? You can see the overspray in the cutlery draw.

I've got a photo of the whole cupboard, partly stripped. Is there a paint colour that was typical of this style and do know what decade it might be from ?

Thanks again, Chris

hap97
23rd February 2009, 05:12 PM
A few more suggestions...

Handles:

If they are painted, and ALL metal, put them in the caustic bath as well. Once clean they can be rejuvenated. If they are all the same they can be put back. If they are different, then maybe use new ones.

Stripping Paint: Method of stripping I use...

Paint on stripper and leave until paint softens.
Strip off using a paint scrapper.
Apply another coat of stripper.
If more paint is to be stripped then use a paint scraper.
If majority of paint has been removed then use coarse steel wool to remove residue. (This seems to be the case on the photo of the drawer)
Finally wash the surface with metho and steel wool. (This should remove all the paint on pine, but if oak then some paint remains in the grain.)

Cleaning timber surface:

What sort of sander do you have?
If you need to buy a sander, consider purchasing a 125mm random orbital sander. (It will do the majority of sanding tasks.)
Sand all exterior surfaces with 80 or 120 grit.
Fill all holes and gaps with wood stop. (If new handles are used the screw pitch could be different!)

Finish:

Appears to be pine. Is it?
A clear finish will look attractive.
If the cabinet is to be painted, then do it in enamel, undercoat and top coat.
What finish do you intend to use?

Interior:

Do not be too concerned with the oversray inside.
However, the random orbital sander will remove enough to make it look better.
Stripping should be unnecessary.

Period:

Possibly post war (1940's)
Are the drawer joints dovetails or rebates?

Hilton

chippy 71
23rd February 2009, 11:44 PM
[quote=Chriller;901928]Thanks Hilton just the sort of detailed thoughts I need. Have a look at the attached photos;
- there are 2 types of handles, both steel/chrome but painted
- the hinges are metal as well
I'm thinking of looking at brass replacements - I hear there is a place in Woolloongba here in Brisbane that sells all this stuff. But I'll try your method and see what they look like first.

Chris,

If I have it right, the place you are thinking of in Logan Rd.? has moved to Webster Rd. Stafford. Their phone number transfers you to their new address or it did a month or so ago. As you are travelling out of town they are on the left just after you cross the creek, but before Wolverhampton St..
Can't remember their name, was it Good and Chattels or something similar?:roll:

Colin.