PDA

View Full Version : the best fifty bucks I ever spent

Brown Dog
1st October 2008, 12:22 PM

Yesterday after a brief altercation involving me, my pushy and a van pulling out from a driveway. It was the opinion of 2 ambulance officers a couple of cops and numerous ER docs....that I, more than likely owe my life to the mangled lump of foam and plastic pictured above.

So apart from a banged up shoulder, a few scrapes and a 7 hour stint in Emergency to confirm that the old brain bucket is still full of sawdust and working as normal Im no worse off.......definitely the best $50 bucks I ever spent :2tsup:

cheers
BD:U

Stevenp
1st October 2008, 03:09 PM
Good to see you are still here to write about it BD! I see a lot of kids around my way that think its cool to have it hanging on the handlebars :no:

Calm
1st October 2008, 03:21 PM
I think i would take it back. Looks as if it had a weak spot in it.:D:D

No seriously very luck and good message to the kids - if they will listen.:2tsup::2tsup:

Brown Dog
1st October 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys

I think i would take it back. Looks as if it had a weak spot in it.:D:D

I wonder if sudden impact with pavement is covered by the warranty :D:D

No seriously very luck and good message to the kids - if they will listen.:2tsup::2tsup:i think i will be hanging on to it so i can get that message across to my kids........... when we get around having them :)

witch1
1st October 2008, 06:37 PM
brown dog,
good onya for going for a decent helmet, we used to say "if you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet"
a good helmet is worth every cent you pay for it, a cheap helmet---- you are only fooling yourself.
witch 1

Carry Pine
1st October 2008, 08:00 PM
Brown dog,

Can I be mercenary and ask how the bike ended up?

Of course we are concerned for you.

Carry Pine

ian
1st October 2008, 08:52 PM
looks like a very decent wack to the head

but I was convinced of the benefits already

hope there are no lingering twitches

ian

Buzza
1st October 2008, 10:59 PM
I wish I could make 4/5ths of the kids that go down my street see this picture. That's how many never wear them, even though the fine os $160.00. I always take note, especially now with school hols on here, and a group of kids ride bikes past, just many do not have "Skid Lids" on. :rolleyes:

Brown Dog
1st October 2008, 11:06 PM
Brown dog,

Can I be mercenary and ask how the bike ended up?

Didn't really get a chance before being carted off to hospital to have a good look....but it appeared to have suffered no damage what so ever. I should find out tomorrow if i get a chance to go round and pick it up.

I think i managed to save the bike by using my head and shoulder to bring me to a complete stop :rolleyes::D

good onya for going for a decent helmetthanks witch......i think i might just go buy another one just like it :wink:,

hope there are no lingering twitchesthanks ian....me too.:(...though i am feeling pretty sore and sorry at the moment

Gra
1st October 2008, 11:10 PM
hope there are no lingering twitches

Only when he sees a white van (Or a LN catalogue, but that's a different story:D)

TomH
1st October 2008, 11:14 PM
Good to hear you are ok, and the helmet did it's job.

I broke my collarbone earlier this year falling off my bike. Landed on my head and shoulder, the impact breaking my collarbone which required surgery. My helmet was cracked in the process. I remember thinking when I was lying on the ground collecting my thoughts how well the impact was cushioned by my helmet. I also am amazed by the people who ride with the helmet on the front handlebars. If I had not been wearing mine, I would be a vegetable in a brain injury unit or requiring full time care by my wife and 10 month old son. It's bloody irresponsible to not wear a helmet - far more dangerous than most of the tasks we do in our sheds on the weekend.

Good luck with the recovery. Now you get to go out and buy a new bike!!

Cheers,

Tom

Brown Dog
1st October 2008, 11:17 PM
Only when he sees a white van

not so much a twitch....more of a stain in the pant region :o

Brown Dog
1st October 2008, 11:27 PM
cheers Tom....sorry to hear you suffered a similar fate (or worse as the case may be...i managed to keep all my bones intact....luckily) hope it has healed well

While i was waiting for the ambulance...lying under the front of a van with bits of my helmet spread out around me, several riders stopped to see if they could help...only one i noticed was wearing a skid lid....:no: i hope the scene of carnage made'em think

ss_11000
1st October 2008, 11:58 PM
wow, glad to hear your alright. :2tsup:

i always wear my helmet (in the rare moments i do go for a ride) and this is a great reminder as to why i wear it.

Brown Dog
2nd October 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks Stirlo :D

Got my bike back today...not one scratch :cool:...the bloke whose van i hit was very relieved to see me up and about though.

fenderbelly
19th October 2008, 09:45 AM
i was out the front of my place yesterday and a young couple probably late 20s early 30s came riding along not wearing helmets but what was worse the guy had what looked like a 2 year old in a seat on the back of his bike with not even a hat on.
Asking for trouble.

Cheers Fred

I_wanna_Shed
19th October 2008, 01:43 PM
Good to hear you are alright Brown Dog. I just don't understand people who ride bikes without a helmet, or wear one but do not have it done up :no:

Putting my helmet on when I go for a ride is the same as doing up the seatbelt when I hop in a car - its a habit.

Hopefully some of the kids see your helmet and have second thoughts....

Brown Dog
19th October 2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks I wanna... still a bit sore, apparently Ive buggered the AC joint in my shoulder

Having grown up as part of a generation that weren't required by law to don a skid lid.... and if you wanted to wear one the only choice you had was the extremely yellow and dorky "stack hat" (guaranteed to un-impress any young females within eye shot and attract ridicule from all your mates :D )...I do some what understand the reluctance....though these days there is little excuse. Until i destroyed my previous hat, once I had it on didn't notice it was there.

Even now (until recently anyway :wink:) SWMBO chuckled every time I put my helmet on....though, I think seeing me carted away in a neck brace she may have changed her tune . And will now make sure I never go for a ride with out one :D

cheers
BD:2tsup: