PDA

View Full Version : What do cyclists pick up?

Carry Pine
1st October 2008, 08:13 PM
No I'm not talking about girls or rashes from the saddle....

If you see something on the road or beside the road, do you stop and pick it up? You won't stop for 20c but if it was a note? $2?
Look what I found today. Carried it in my hand for the last 15ks of the ride.

30cm long, no real brand and it is a 15/16th. Now what will that fit? Bugger all I guess but I couldn't just leave it there!

What do you/ have you picked up?

Carry Pine

Buzza
1st October 2008, 11:01 PM
I was thinking of making a bike trailer, cos' I ride so slow, I see all sorts of stuff worth taking home. I must get back into the saddle again soon, so I can find something. :)

ss_11000
2nd October 2008, 12:08 AM
kangaroo bone :D

i'm serious, i was out at my mates place at congewai and we went for a ride, on the side of the road was a kanga skeleton. so i picked up a bone, we went back to his place, i got a handsaw and sawed it open to see if it was thick enough to make a pen out of...as it turned out, it wasnt :(...but i had fun cuttting it up lol :D

Carry Pine
2nd October 2008, 09:05 AM
Peter Cundall at the recent Garden Show at Homebush referred to 2 ladies who supply fertilizer which is made out of road kill.
Maybe there's a spotter's market there for cyclists.

Graham

Ron Dunn
2nd October 2008, 01:35 PM
Gravel rash.

Gra
2nd October 2008, 02:18 PM
Gravel rash.

My front guard...:D:D

corbs
2nd October 2008, 08:24 PM
Unless I can get it without stopping it stays where it is:;. If I saw some antler or good bit of bone I might think about it but a two hour MTB ride hurts enough without adding to the load:doh:.

Carry Pine
2nd October 2008, 10:59 PM
Unless I can get it without stopping it stays where it is:;. If I saw some antler or good bit of bone I might think about it but a two hour MTB ride hurts enough without adding to the load:doh:.

But what would you stop for? What's your price? We can all be 'bought'.

Graham

corbs
3rd October 2008, 03:31 PM
Ok then... would stop for a nice bit of antler (there is deer in some of the areas I ride) but as I don't road ride anymore there isn't a heap to see on the side of a trail:doh:. Will admit you can see some wierd things on the side of the road though.

ficfac
18th January 2009, 01:27 AM
scored a pair of sunnies not long back:2tsup:

Mulgabill
18th January 2009, 10:52 AM
Hand Saw, various spanners and screwdrivers, cash and even a wallet complete with credit cards & license that turned out to be from a stolen vehicle.

Timber stacker
18th January 2009, 11:05 AM
in the past two years I've rode nealy 9000km and in this time I've found:
two mobile phones (one had been wet by the rain the night before)
$50 note
$20 note
2 $10 notes
12" blue neon (still worked on a 9v battery)
rear bike light

glenn k
18th January 2009, 11:15 AM
I found a 1/2 " drive with one off those star shape ~8mm thingies on the end. Kept for years then ground as a nail punch. Then I had to buy another one as I needed it:((

cadeuceus
18th January 2009, 12:08 PM
In terms of bike transport - i find all sorts of wooden furniture that has been thrown out and take it back to work on the bike. I make small things and recycled timber suits perfectly. Things like slat based beds often give lots of 70 x 19 or 90 x 19 slats that can be used for all sorts of things.

not on a bike but....I was once the only passenger in a bus. After going around a corner, the driver suddenly stopped the bus and got out. After a few minutes (of me wondering if i should get out and walk...) he returned triumphantly holding a $2 coin that he had spotted in the gutter before the corner.

ficfac
18th January 2009, 12:48 PM
ha ha every cent counts eh!

Allan at Wallan
18th January 2009, 08:06 PM
I don't pick anything up because I am usually
too much like the bicycle ... "two tyred".:D

Allan.

Master Splinter
18th January 2009, 08:42 PM
Lets see - a removalist's blanket (that was hard to stow on the rack!), odd coinage, phillips head screwdriver, lead wheel weights and anything that looks weird/interesting.

I always wonder how some things that I see end up on the road - like a broken rotor assembly from a turbocharger, or the bottom bearing housing from a crankshaft,or the centre out of a universal joint...they are all things you think a driver would notice if they just fell out!!

prozac
20th January 2009, 11:31 PM
I still have a screwdriver I picked up on the side of the road in London when I first arrived there in 1974!

sfrew
21st January 2009, 12:19 AM
Well some time back I found what I thought was a tow bar for a VW so I took it back in my work van and knocked off .Now I thought if I tied a rope across the two ends I could carry it home on my motor bike.All went well for the first hundred metres when the the rope fell off my shoulder the bar fell down locking my arms to my side and I swerved off the road into a pole.Did I feel silly yes I did do I pick up stuff No I dont .

rotten_66
21st January 2009, 10:56 AM
Found a brand new tow ball except for the road scratches, no nut on the bottom which is probably why it was on the road!

Best find was a Swiss Army knife, standard size when look at the red side, but nearly 5 cm/2 inch thick with so many weird and wonderful attachments/pullouts like pliers, scissors, small saw, file, three different knife blades, and some things I still have no idea what they do, but figure that the Spanish inquisition would have found them handy.

Only real problem with it is you can't put it in your pants pocket, it is so heavy tends to pull them down as you walk.

Carry Pine
21st January 2009, 01:09 PM
Only real problem with it is you can't put it in your pants pocket, it is so heavy tends to pull them down as you walk.

That's the problem with riding the bike. You lose lots of weight. You need to wear belts in work pants that you needed to squeeze into before.

Graham

rotten_66
21st January 2009, 01:24 PM
That's the problem with riding the bike. You lose lots of weight. You need to wear belts in work pants that you needed to squeeze into before.

Graham

Wish I had that problem Graham!!!!!!

Carry Pine
21st January 2009, 10:12 PM
I received my divine inspiration when these guys were talking about carbon seatposts and drink holders that only weigh a few grams. I can't believe I said it but I said that i could make my bike 10 kilos lighter!
It was a joke but I realised I probably didn't need to be 105kg trying to pedal uphill and killing myself doing it.
I think the guy who lives next door hit the nail on the head when he told me he rode every day and can now eat whatever he likes. He has a short build and has always been a bit podgy but now he has slimmed down.
I'm 90kg now and enjoying not having to push that 15kg around.

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
22nd January 2009, 08:28 AM
I received my divine inspiration when these guys were talking about carbon seatposts and drink holders that only weigh a few grams. I can't believe I said it but I said that i could make my bike 10 kilos lighter!
It was a joke but I realised I probably didn't need to be 105kg trying to pedal uphill and killing myself doing it.
I think the guy who lives next door hit the nail on the head when he told me he rode every day and can now eat whatever he likes. He has a short build and has always been a bit podgy but now he has slimmed down.
I'm 90kg now and enjoying not having to push that 15kg around.

Graham

Great going there Graham! I'm a similiar weight to your original and am beginning to ride again (after many, many years off) to lose the baggage.

I'm aiming for the Sydney to Wollongong bike ride later on in the year.... we'll see how optimistic I am being closer to the date :-

Carry Pine
22nd January 2009, 12:07 PM
I.W.A.S.
A young bloke like you at 105kg? I guess you are a retired front row forward so I better not say too much.
I'm thinking about the Sydney to W. ride with a few friends too. Something to aim at.
You know a good ride from here is Bowral to Picton (old road) finishing with a bok beer at George 1V and catch the train back. No good to you though unless you did a loop to meet up at the end.

Graham

artme
22nd January 2009, 07:00 PM
Don't know about cyclists but I've seen enough stuphph lying on or beside the roads to build a house.

echnidna
22nd January 2009, 08:20 PM
I'm surprised that none of you bikies have picked up good looking women. :rolleyes:

Carry Pine
23rd January 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm surprised that none of you bikies have picked up good looking women. :rolleyes:

See first post , Bob. I left out 2 types of 'picking up'. Any thoughts on the other one?

Graham

Buzza
23rd January 2009, 11:38 PM
I only ever picked up one woman, and that was back in 1962, still got her today. :)

Carry Pine
31st August 2009, 08:47 PM
Does this find rate?

Should I have picked it up?

1200mm Stanley level. Good condition but spots of cement which could be removed. Still has bubbles in correct places.

Well I picked it up. Wasn't a bad 'roo bar' resting on the hoods.

Call me a scavenger. I agree.

CP

I_wanna_Shed
1st September 2009, 09:13 PM
Does this find rate?

Should I have picked it up?

1200mm Stanley level. Good condition but spots of cement which could be removed. Still has bubbles in correct places.

Well I picked it up. Wasn't a bad 'roo bar' resting on the hoods.

Call me a scavenger. I agree.

CP

If you keep coming back with finds like that you will need to build something like this!

Carry Pine
2nd September 2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Nathan,

Thats probably you on a training ride getting ready for a challenge over Razorback!

Graham

wheelinround
3rd September 2009, 06:27 PM
depends on how many you have on your bike first

http://www.flixxy.com/chinese-bicycle-acrobatics.htm

looseless
9th September 2009, 11:04 PM
Hey blokes,

Wanna good pick up?

Check out the rural block thread. Pick up the Cubbie club plan.

ITS CUBBIE-RIFFIC.:doh:

Carry Pine
12th September 2009, 04:50 PM
At it again, picking up:

Right hand (only) bikies glove. Brand RIVET. Size must be medium or small cause i can't get my hand into it. Free to Forumites if you want it!

50 metres down the road there was a red-bellied black just about to cross the road. I wasn't thinking about snakes when i went into the bush to retrieve the glove.

Graham

burraboy
16th September 2009, 08:20 AM
I have a collection of shackles. Sometimes you find the bolt, sometimes the U shaped bit. Sometimes you can actually find a part that will fit something else and make a whole shackle!

Carry Pine
20th September 2009, 09:41 PM
Makes you wonder if those shackles were holding anything important before they fell off.

Graham

Carry Pine
7th February 2010, 04:35 PM
How about a $5 note at the top of a hill?

Halfway down I would not have bothered.

Would you have picked it up?

Graham

Foo
7th February 2010, 06:21 PM
Yup sure would!:D That's 4ltrs of cola for rum and cola.:drink2:

Carry Pine
2nd May 2010, 08:18 PM
I got a glimpse of it while riding. Couldn't be! Stopped went back and picked it up.
It was a 250mm makita saw blade in a packet.
Now i was thinking that I could offer it to someone on the Forum but i had a look and it was as blunt as bu%$^ery. Tungsten tips had been worn away and no kerf left.
Well I needed to satisfy my curiosity.

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
2nd May 2010, 08:42 PM
I got a glimpse of it while riding. Couldn't be! Stopped went back and picked it up.
It was a 250mm makita saw blade in a packet.
Now i was thinking that I could offer it to someone on the Forum but i had a look and it was as blunt as bu%$^ery. Tungsten tips had been worn away and no kerf left.
Well I needed to satisfy my curiosity.

Graham

Bugger Graham! Nearly a way to cross woodwork with cycling. I'm keeping an eye out around here - council rubbish collection round here at the moment. Everyone seems to find the scores ahead of me though (my neighbour has picked up wide western red cedar boards, someone 'throwing out' a Tassie Oak kitchen, and of those old metal pedal cars that are worth a mint if restored correctly!).

Nathan.

notenoughtoys
2nd May 2010, 09:14 PM
this morning at my teenage daughters soccer, I was amazed to watch a guy on a bike. As is the custom at most soccer fields, at the back of one of the goalpost was parked a wheelie bin used to store the nets etc in the shed along with a small step ladder, hammer and pegs etc to set up the nets. The game was in progree when this guy came along on his bike and spotted this perfectly good ladder someone had seemingly discarded in the bin. You would have thought the fact that the bin was sitting right beside the goalpost, goalie in situ and hammer and pegs placed neatly beside should have told the guy they weren't rubbish, but we all watched in amazement as he spent 10 minutes trying to work out how best to juggle his new found treasures on the bike before deciding it would be easier to walk the bike and carry his goods. Unfortunately for him by this time 2 dads had wondered over to tell him that he was actually helping himself to the clubs equipment and there was two teams of parents standing watching him. I still wonder if he was really that stupid or just thought it was worth a try.Bob

Carry Pine
3rd May 2010, 10:06 PM
Bloody bikers again! Running red lights and now stealing ladders.

I carried a 1200mm level for 20+km. He should have been able to 'do' the ladder for a short trip.

Graham

Papa
21st July 2010, 12:38 PM
I stop and pick up pennies.

Best find was a cell phone, she bought the wife and I lunch.

Week ago Sunday I picked up a traffic warning. 51mph in a 40 zone.

wheelinround
22nd July 2010, 10:00 AM
I stop and pick up pennies.

Best find was a cell phone, she bought the wife and I lunch.

Week ago Sunday I picked up a traffic warning. 51mph in a 40 zone.

Thats a good deal so how much did you get for the wife :p:2tsup:

Papa
26th July 2010, 12:58 PM
Thats a good deal so how much did you get for the wife :p:2tsup:

She ain't worth a nickle! But I have too much invested to throw her out!

She's not a bad sort so I just put up with her!

Also she is the only one with a job now.:D:D:D

wheelinround
27th July 2010, 09:17 AM
She ain't worth a nickle! But I have too much invested to throw her out!

She's not a bad sort so I just put up with her!

Also she is the only one with a job now.:D:D:D

:p Lets hope she doesn't read your posts :;

munruben
27th July 2010, 09:49 AM
Interesting to note this thread was started back in October 2008.

Spanner69
27th July 2010, 05:19 PM
maybe an old thread but it is still deinitly relevent.

I have found :

copious amounts of coinage
mobile phones
various tools - best one was one I could not take - it was a cement mixer that had fallen off a ute. Damn I could not take that one and by the time I got home and jumped into the car it was gawn!
I have found various article of clothing - some of which I have kept and others I kept.... all cloth ends up as rags in my shed. I have various catergories of 'kept'.
I have also found a lap top but that was in some seriously damanged condition which did not even warrent a slow down.

Carry Pine
27th July 2010, 09:51 PM
On the weekend I spotted a hand saw (went back for a closer look and it wasn't a Disston) but i was riding with SWMBO and we were going to lunch- probably not a good look to walk in with a saw. So I left it. It was gone the next day. (Probably needed sharpening anyway.)

Graham

danielhobby
27th July 2010, 10:43 PM
i got a darche superdome swag with $150 sleeping bag and a 50 mm foam mattress and $10 in gold coins on the side of the road on the way to corryong from wodonga last year,musthave fallen out of a ute i'd say,poor bastards.

Papa
28th July 2010, 07:50 AM
:p Lets hope she doesn't read your posts :;

Before she got old fat and ugly she was a bit uppity about what I said,
but now she knows she can't do any better so she just keeps her
mouth shut.

(you all know I am lying like a dog)

This was a couple years ago at the airshow. She isn't real hot about
posting her pictures on the net, but she said this one was ok.
BTW, she is 6'3"

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5650/bigfootey6.jpg

This is the avatar she uses on several sites.

http://img448.imageshack.us/img448/3585/kimberlexx3ho.jpg