PDA

View Full Version : Hard Rubbish Collection

thefixer
2nd October 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not normally one who scabs stuff from hard rubbish collections:oo:, but as I was driving through an area the other day there was, on one nature strip, two lengths of timber that were calling out to me so I stopped and picked them up:cool:. They had been stained and lacquered so it was a little hard to tell what they were until I got them them home and put the saw through them. Lucky me. 1 metre long x 170 mm wide x 70 mm thick, very old, very dry rock hard jarrah:2tsup: Geez this stuff was hard. I spent more time at the grinder than I did at the lathe:(
Anyway these are the pics of the first piece to come out out it.
Yeah I know, my photography sucks but I only have a crappy mobile phone camera.

Cheers
Shorty

BobL
2nd October 2008, 11:05 PM
Nice job fixer. gorgeous colour!

Photo tip: The blue towel in the first picture has clearly upset your camera's colour balance. This can be corrected in software but the best way is to use a neutral colour background for photographing work.

I'm not normally one who scabs stuff from hard rubbish collections:oo:,

I am one who normally does. I picked up 3 pallets today - [don't worry they were clearly put out as part of hard rubbish - no CHEP labels etc]. I turn them into stickers - bits of wood for putting between milled slabs.

scooner
2nd October 2008, 11:06 PM
very nice, well done ,one mans rubbish

Ed Reiss
2nd October 2008, 11:18 PM
"Thar's treasure in them hills":specool:

Way to go Shorty...great find and nice turnings!!:2tsup:

OGYT
3rd October 2008, 05:27 AM
Good scab on! Any wood layin' out is food for the lathe!! Looks good, and worth the wear on the tools.

Gil Jones
3rd October 2008, 07:11 AM
Fine work Shorty!!:2tsup:
Free wood is the way to go:)

Rum Pig
3rd October 2008, 08:49 AM
Good find and nice turning :2tsup::2tsup:

Any wood is fare game for me:U

joe greiner
4th October 2008, 12:34 AM
What they all said. And really good results, Shorty.:2tsup::2tsup:

Joe