PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Scraps

Toasty
3rd October 2008, 08:27 PM
No, not Scraps the dog, but scraps of wood. But you knew I meant that, right?

Anyhoo, one of the things I wanted to do this week is some kind of glue-up turning, any kind, didn't matter what. Naturally when you don't have a plan beyond that initial thought when it comes time to action it gets a little tougher.

Scouting around the workshop (OK, it's a garage) I found a length of what I think is merbau from when I made a colleague a chopping board once, and another unidentified bit of wood that I got with my original lathe some ten(ish) years ago.

For lack of any other ideas I just sliced them up on the tablesaw and set about gluing them together. That seemed to go ok, but it looks a little plain. I know, I'll slice it up the middle and reverse it - man I know how to mix it up Hollywood style!

So did that, waited till the next day for the glue to fully dry, cut it into a rough circle on the bandsaw and mounted it on the lathe. The end result is what you see below, and yeah like my wife has been known to say, "It's kinda small".

But you know what, it don't matter the size, it's the fun you had using it :B

Oh, sanded to about 800grit and hit with a coat or two of Shellawax.

ss_11000
3rd October 2008, 08:31 PM
looks good from here:2tsup:

so, umm....is it a frisbee:D;)

Harry72
3rd October 2008, 08:39 PM
Nice

Sawdust Maker
3rd October 2008, 09:31 PM
interesting :2tsup:
not sure it's merbau - doesn't appear to have the customary gold/yellow fleck

I'd show the one I did but got disgusted with it and threw it in the bin:o

Ed Reiss
3rd October 2008, 11:20 PM
:kewl::welldone:

Nice design Toasty!

woodwork wally
3rd October 2008, 11:32 PM
:kewl::welldone:

Nice design Toasty!
As above from me too:2tsup: btw any news on the bearing [?] howl:no: cheers WW.Wally

tea lady
4th October 2008, 12:22 AM
:cool:Cool frisbee.:2tsup:

Robomanic
4th October 2008, 12:39 AM
i like it, the way it is not fully offset (like checkers) makes it a little asymmetrical and i like that sort of thing.

Nice work.

Ad de Crom
4th October 2008, 01:07 AM
Yeah Toasty, you're my man, I like it all the way to work with scraps of wood.
Tell your LOML okay it's small but also delicate. For me absolute a little treasure.
Ad :2tsup:

Toasty
4th October 2008, 09:42 AM
btw any news on the bearing [?] howl:no:
Not as yet, but I haven't contacted Trend in the last week or so. For now I have been enjoying the week downstairs so I might give Adrian a bell next week when I am back at work.

wheelinround
4th October 2008, 01:39 PM
Toasty your not silly Trend might say send the one you have back first then where would you be

Nice Bowl of scraps

Gil Jones
4th October 2008, 02:00 PM
Toasty,
Beautiful turning work on both:2tsup:
Also, very nice pics. How do you get the depth of field (focus) so perfect?

Toasty
4th October 2008, 02:35 PM
G'day Gil,

Also, very nice pics. How do you get the depth of field (focus) so perfect?
Because this little bowl was so small I was able to use the Macro function on my camera. This blog article (http://www.woodworkforums.com/blog.php?b=307) gives some tips for taking pictures of small items like pens etc.

NGX
4th October 2008, 03:00 PM
Very clean nice work Toasty.. ;)