PDA

View Full Version : Cadaghi

Ibanez
4th October 2008, 12:21 AM
Has anyone had any experience with timber from very large rainforest tree that grows in the Kuranda area near Cairns called Cadaghi, cutting ,gluing, planing etc. I have come into about 40, 4metre slabs of it all around 65mm thick and it it very heavy, any ideas on what I'm in for.

Thanks Shayne:)

journeyman Mick
4th October 2008, 06:12 PM
Shayne,
Cadaghi (or Cadagi, Cadaga) Eucalyptus Torreliana, now apparently known as Corymbia Torreliana is apparently the only Eucalypt to grow in the rainforest, although usually it's in the margins. It's a pretty good structural timber but a bit boring, colour and grain wise for furniture or joinery. Air dried density of about 920kg/m3, difficult to glue and sapwood is susceptible to lyctid borers.

Mick

Ibanez
4th October 2008, 11:38 PM
Shayne,
Cadaghi (or Cadagi, Cadaga) Eucalyptus Torreliana, now apparently known as Corymbia Torreliana is apparently the only Eucalypt to grow in the rainforest, although usually it's in the margins. It's a pretty good structural timber but a bit boring, colour and grain wise for furniture or joinery. Air dried density of about 920kg/m3, difficult to glue and sapwood is susceptible to lyctid borers.

Mick

Thanks Mick I have also found it very abrasive on millings chains

Tony Hunt
7th October 2008, 04:07 PM
They used to use it for building the frames of pearling luggers. Definitiely in the heavy structural timber category!