PDA

View Full Version : CNC Spindles on Ebay

rodm
5th October 2008, 11:24 AM
If anyone is interested in getting a Variable Frequency Spindle they have been listed by the ebay ballscrew and rails supplier at very good starting price. The opening bid is about one third the price that they sell for in USA.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/linearmotionbearings_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
The above link will only be good for 5 days.

You will need a VFD to run these. The new air cooling model interest me as it saves having to hook up a pond pump to cool them. They have either an ER11 or ER16 collet (enquire with the seller) so there will be an additional cost for a set of collets.

snowyskiesau
5th October 2008, 12:57 PM
Rod,
Any recommended suppliers of VFD's to suit these spindles?

rodm
5th October 2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Geoff,
Mumbo jumbo to me once you get into the electrics. :)

Best I do it put them together after asknig questions and they work but I do not understand fully what is happening. The VFD converts single phase to three phase and becomes the speed controller. 800RPM to 24,000RPM so they are ideal for cutting all materials.

If you have a look at spindles on the Kelling site you can get a bit more of an idea and he has VFD's on there as well.

Ask the ebay seller and he should be able to supply or point you in the right direction.

To give you an idea of price I paid $140US plus shipping last Frdiay for a 1.5kw VFD but different seller. Collets are under $50 and it gives you a good range of shank sizes to select from.

If you search for the video posted by Greolt you can see one of these in action on his machine.

snowyskiesau
5th October 2008, 02:21 PM
There's something to be said for wet weekends, you get to spend more time at the computer for research :)

MS-Motor (http://ms-motor.com/spindle1.htm) have air and water cooled spindles and can supply VFD's as well. I'll ask them for prices and post the results here.

Ch4iS
5th October 2008, 02:43 PM
I would have thought a high power spindle router on full speed would easily heat up and get damaged too easily on air?

I've been looking at the spindles for some time trying to see if its worth it over a quality die grinder, now that the price is down there it might be worth it.

I wanted to know whats the difference between the E11 and E16 collets? I tried searching on google but didnt get any results as to what it is. I gather its the size of the collet but is E11 1/4" and E16 1/2"???

BTW Rod that supplier of yours is GOLD. Asked him about some slides and he can get the best prices out of everyone I have asked.

rodm
5th October 2008, 04:58 PM
The worst of this is I just brought a 800 watt spindle for a another machine on Friday and paid more for the spindle and shipping. :(

For wood workers there is little difference between the ER11 and ER16 collets. The diference is a ER11 collet holds up to 7mm and a ER16 collet holds up to 10mm. As there are very few 3/8 shank router bits you are limited to 1/4 shank for both collets. If you are using mill bits then the ER16 lets you use larger sizes over the ER11.

Geoff is it a magnificent day in Perth with the sun shining. I have moved my bench outside and changed to a short sleeved shirt. Off to do some more work and soak up a bit of sun. :)

WillyInBris
5th October 2008, 05:25 PM
They look to be the same build as my spindle and the rice look good as well as them if they can supply a VFD as well they should be able to source them.

Otherwise Greolt has a company in the US that will supply to Australia I just cant find the email :-..

Greolt
5th October 2008, 07:47 PM
Otherwise Greolt has a company in the US that will supply to Australia I just cant find the email :-..

Here it is,

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/

For just a little bit more money I decided on an Hitachi drive rather than a no name Chinese one. Something you need to decide for yourself.

Greg

EDIT: Looking at that ebay add that Rod posted, is that cooled by compressed air? Looks like it. Can see no fan for cooling.

That would be no good for me. Getting rid of noise is one of the reasons for getting a proper spindle for me. Running a compressor does not fit the bill there.

rodm
5th October 2008, 09:18 PM
I think you are right about the compressed air. It would be useless for me for the same reason - noise.

appiwood
6th October 2008, 08:38 AM
Hello Rodm

You might be right about the compressed air but it is also used to provide a positive
pressure differential within the spindle, this is to help keep the dust out, or it is at least what the docs say on mine, also the flow rate is to low to provide much cooling.

Ed

Zoot
6th October 2008, 08:52 AM
Has anyone in Australia tried the air cooled spindles?

My workshop is plonk in the middle of 80 acres, so noise is not a major problem ... except for the cows maybe! Two of my workshop jobs are to run compressed air around the workshop with the compressor outside the main workshop (still under cover) and to also move my dust extractor to the same spot and duct it around to the various machines including the forthcoming 'Alpha Zoot'.

I have not previously considered a spindle because of the cost and did not like the idea of pumping water around, but an air cooled spindle could tempt me down the track a bit.

Cheers,

Alan

rodm
6th October 2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Ed - It makes sense.

Hi Alan,
It is a much for the operator as it is to avoid complaint. Running a router continuosly for a couple of hours does get a bit tiresome.

crocky
9th October 2008, 10:26 AM
There's something to be said for wet weekends, you get to spend more time at the computer for research :)

MS-Motor (http://ms-motor.com/spindle1.htm) have air and water cooled spindles and can supply VFD's as well. I'll ask them for prices and post the results here.

Did you get the prices yet, I have asked for the 800 spindle and a VFD and just waiting for a price now. You have to be really careful when dealing with them, ask twice and then verify that is what you will be buying :)

snowyskiesau
9th October 2008, 10:56 AM
Did you get the prices yet, I have asked for the 800 spindle and a VFD and just waiting for a price now. You have to be really careful when dealing with them, ask twice and then verify that is what you will be buying :)

Sorry, that was one of many jobs that slipped through the cracks. :-

crocky
9th October 2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Geoff,

Would have been nice to compare them, not to worry :)

rodm
9th October 2008, 12:52 PM
Bob,
Sent you a PM.

crocky
13th October 2008, 08:39 AM
Got that :)

I have ordered the 800 spindle and a VFD (he calls it an inverter) from there as well :2tsup: so we will wait and see what it is like now...

WillyInBris
13th October 2008, 02:16 PM
Got that :)

I have ordered the 800 spindle and a VFD (he calls it an inverter) from there as well :2tsup: so we will wait and see what it is like now...

Good on ya Bob I think you will be surprised and happy :2tsup:

crocky
13th October 2008, 03:49 PM
Good on ya Bob I think you will be surprised and happy :2tsup:

I'll see what it is like, I already have a fish tank pump... Just have to learn about VFD's now and how it is controlled :)

rodm
16th October 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Bob,
Got my 800 watt spindle from MS-Motors today. Very impressed with the finish compared to the 1.5kw unit.
So you can get a comparison here are the two spindles together. The 1.5kw spindle has the ER16 collet and the 800 watt unit has a ER11 collet. Both are water cooled. Going by my 34 year old scales (wedding present) the 1.5kw spindle is 6 kg and the other is 3 kg. I don't think the scales are accurate but maybe the weigh is relative.

Greolt
17th October 2008, 07:01 AM
That small spindle looks really nice Rod.

Most of you have probably already worked out the symbols on the coolant connections but here is some info for those who have not got that far yet.

The pics are self explanatory.

Greg

crocky
17th October 2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Bob,
Got my 800 watt spindle from MS-Motors today. Very impressed with the finish compared to the 1.5kw unit.
So you can get a comparison here are the two spindles together. The 1.5kw spindle has the ER16 collet and the 800 watt unit has a ER11 collet. Both are water cooled. Going by my 34 year old scales (wedding present) the 1.5kw spindle is 6 kg and the other is 3 kg. I don't think the scales are accurate but maybe the weigh is relative.

Hi Rod,

It looks superb :) thanks for the pictures. Have you got any of the VFD for it, those I would be interested in seeing as well :) I am getting the ER11 collet too.

Mine has not arrived yet and I am not in a hurry for it, probably a while longer yet!

crocky
17th October 2008, 08:10 AM
That small spindle looks really nice Rod.

Most of you have probably already worked out the symbols on the coolant connections but here is some info for those who have not got that far yet.

The pics are self explanatory.

Greg

That will be very useful to know, thanks Greg :)

rodm
17th October 2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Bob
Picture of VFD. No instructions came with it but I found a manual in English on the net. I'll send it to you.

Hi Greg,
Thanks I was just going to take pot luck. :-

Greolt
17th October 2008, 10:46 AM
I think it is highly likely that it will make no difference at all which way the water flows.

Just goes to show the internet is a great resource for all sorts of things. :)

Greg

crocky
17th October 2008, 10:46 AM
Mine just landed too :)

No paperwork at all.

In the picture of the power connection, there is no plug and one of the nipples is broken :(

There is my VFD, did you get the same. The spindles look different :?

Greolt
17th October 2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah it's a different brand to what Rod and I got. The same as WillyInBris got I think.

Is the nipple broken? Looks OK in the pic.

If you look at a 4 pin microphone plug at Dick Smith it might be the same as the connector. Only a couple of dollars.

The connector on Rod's and mine is quite different.

Greg

crocky
17th October 2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Greg,

The nipple has the centre bit broken on one of them, it probably is okay but would have been better if it was complete and I did not find it laying around in the box so it was sent like that.

The plug is a three pin plug and you are correct I could probably pick one up in dicky's store but once again I didn't quite get what was expected. I did get a gift though and it is Pats birthday today so you know where it's gone :)

Rod: Have you got a three wire connector or four?

rodm
17th October 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Bob,
Joe and I both got damaged nipples on our 1.5kw spindles that we got a couple of months ago. MS sent four replacement nipples and I only needed one replaced and Joe two so I have a spare that you are welcome to. PM me your address.

My electrical fitting has four pins and is a clip on type connector - not a screw type. One of the pins is not connected to anything.

My spindle is slightly different to your one. Mine is a Rocket - good name :D

rodm
17th October 2008, 12:05 PM
I got offered an air spindle yesterday at a price I could not refuse (that is my excuse) so when that arrives I will post it here as well. The problem with having three machines is you need - no - have to upgrade them all. :rolleyes:
I also got a smoothstepper for the machine I am building so duck for cover Greg there might be more questions coming. I am leaving the Digispeed for later.

WillyInBris
17th October 2008, 12:59 PM
Mine just landed too :)

No paperwork at all.

In the picture of the power connection, there is no plug and one of the nipples is broken :(
There is my VFD, did you get the same. The spindles look different :?

Looks like the same as mine Bob the spindle that is, the connector you can get from dick smith mine came with one I have a different VFD though, how was everyones packed when sent.

My spindle came in a Large Styrofoam pill like you can get for wine bottles no damage at all but it did come from Kelinginc but I did pay more.

Maybe worth still asking for another nipple :D Bob (I love nipples :D) just in case one of us has an issue down the track or another order comes in with a nipple problem (sorry had to say that word again :B).

Sean

Greolt
17th October 2008, 01:52 PM
The plug is a three pin plug and you are correct I could probably pick one up in dicky's store.............

Dick Smith don't have three pin microphone line plugs, but Jaycar do. $2.45

Greg

crocky
17th October 2008, 02:38 PM
That's handy to know, at least there is three wires connected :)

I will message MS and tell them that it is broken and I might try them on for a connecter too :)

Couldn't refuse eh!! :2tsup:

crocky
17th October 2008, 02:46 PM
Sean,

That would be right :)

crocky
19th October 2008, 02:01 PM
Well I have located the plug, it was in the styrofoam packing :- thanks to mr MS. So now there is just the nipple to worry about, waiting for my next message from MS.

rodm
19th October 2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Bob,
Are you prompting for another discussion about you know what. :D

Great you found the connector and you have a backup with the union (he he) I have here.

Sorry Sean I don't want you getting too excited on a Sunday. :D

WillyInBris
19th October 2008, 02:55 PM
mmmmmm Nipples :2tsup:

Ok maybe we should request that any more spindles that are supplied that they remove the nipples and nuts (my life loves nuts) :D before dispatch that way if the spindle moves around in the packaging it will stop nipple damage.

rodm
19th October 2008, 04:05 PM
Good thinking and I'll contact the seller as I have one being shipped Monday. Ooops it is air cooled so no unions ( :D ) to worry about.

Zoot
23rd October 2008, 08:08 AM
Rod,
When you get your air cooled spindle, can you please post some pictures and details as to how you set it up etc.
I am interested to see whether it it gives a comparable performance to the water cooled spindles others rave about, but also I don't understand what 'air cooled' means ... is it just cooled by the surrounding air or do you have to supply compressed air? If compressed air, what quantity/volume and does it make 'lotsa' noise?

Cheers,

Alan

rodm
23rd October 2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Alan,
Will do.
I don't know much about it myself yet so will wait until it arrives before answering your questions.
cheers,
Rod

crocky
24th October 2008, 09:34 AM
Got advised by MS that he is sending me two nipples to replace the one that is broken :) so the spindle will be as good as new soon....

rodm
24th October 2008, 04:26 PM
Good to hear you got your unions ( :) ) sorted Bob.

I got the 800 watt air spindle today and will post photos tonight when I get home. It has a fan in the top that forces air through the spindle and out a series of slots in the base. Looks interesting and much easier to set up than water cooled.

Greolt
24th October 2008, 04:40 PM
That sounds very interesting Rod.

How does the price compare with a water cooled one of the same rating?

I gather the fan is direct drive and not electric.

Have to wait for more details when you're ready.:)

Greg

rodm
24th October 2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Greg
Price is the same as the water cooled. Unit is a bit lighter and not sure if this is thinner walled tube for better heat ransfer or the lack of cooling tubes - probably both.
Yes it has a vane type fan by the look of it but hard to see and connected to the shaft.

Photos show cooling slots at the collet end and intake at the electrical connection end. I have put a water cooled spindle of the same 800 watt rating next to it so you can compare. Both about the same length and air cooled is slightly larger in diameter.

Quality is very good and I got this from the ebay seller.

rodm
24th October 2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Alan,
My previous post and this movie should answer all your questions. As for wiring it up better to talk to somebody that knows what they are doing. I am hopeless on the electrics so do not want to lead anybody else astray. There is a chippie we know that is on top of the electrics for these so have a chat.
It was raining when I took the video so you can hear that on the patio roof at the start and if you listen carefully you can just hear a hissing of the fan when it is at top speed. Otherwise very comparable to the water cooled unit for noise. Certainly a big improvment on a router or die grinder.
Just for the thread the price is $320US plus shipping plus the VFD.

Zoot
24th October 2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for that Rod,
The video answers lots of questions. Is that the 3 amp or 4 amp model?

What size collett does it take? I ask that question from a point of complete ignorance, because I really don't know what is meant by ER11 and ER16 etc. I have been thinking 1/4" bits to fit the Milwarkee die grinder, but in my ultimate design and looking at v-carving into hard Blackbutt timber, perhaps I should be looking at 1/2" router bits or something. Could you please give me an overview of colletts and what the various ER's mean?

Cheers,

Alan

appiwood
24th October 2008, 11:09 PM
Hello Alan

Hope this helps with the ER collets,

ER collets have a different size holder for EACH SIZE BITS SHANK, so a SET of ER 11 collets will fit 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 7mm. All up there will be 7 collets enabling you to hold tools from 1mm to 7mm ( it will be a bit less than 1mm, say .75ishmm ) ER 16's will be 1 - 10mm ER 16's 2 to 10mm and ER 20's 2 to 13mm. ER 25 will holod up to a 16mm shank.

" normally " a ER collet will hold the bit better than say the collet in a average router and have less run out as well.

Hope this helps you

Ed

Ch4iS
25th October 2008, 01:57 AM
I will be ordering one of these once the AUD gets to a better rate over the USD.

Are the motors from Rods ebay seller a good choice? I see he now has the VDF's.

Is the 800 watt powerful enough for any job? pointless getting a 1500watt?

???? rates 1 AUD = 0.617257 USD I wish it would just stay at 0.8 per dollar.

rodm
25th October 2008, 02:16 AM
Hi Alan,
Ed covered the ER collets well. The obvious thing is for router bits it makes little difference if you get ER11 or ER16 collets as both will not hold a half inch bit. You will have to go to an ER20 or larger to hold the half inch bit. If you are using mill bits then a different story.

It is the 65 X 225 spindle but on the case it says 6.5 amps. Yeah I know the listing has this at 3 amps and sorry I am not able to explain why.

Chris,
I would think the 800watt is good enough for any 1/4 inch router bit. We are talking 1HP so if you were thinking a 1/4 inch die grinder then the 800 watt spindle has more power.
Another consdieration is the 1.5kw spindle is twice the weight of the 800 watt unit.

The Aussie dollar will drop below 60 cents and is going to take a while before it recovers - that is what I have read anyway.

Ch4iS
25th October 2008, 02:26 AM
Chris,
I would think the 800watt is good enough for any 1/4 inch router bit. We are talking 1HP so if you were thinking a 1/4 inch die grinder then the 800 watt spindle has more power.
Another consdieration is the 1.5kw spindle is twice the weight of the 800 watt unit.

The Aussie dollar will drop below 60 cents and is going to take a while before it recovers - that is what I have read anyway.

Any indication when it will rise again? I've been trying to read up on predictions but cant find anything with all the ???? on google. (this year?)

This would be for a planned big cnc router the big mutha :) to cut a full 2400x1200 sheet, and I am looking at Nema 34 (maby 425 23's) and Rack and Pinion for speed.

BTW water or air? They seem both fine to me I dont mind having a water system but is there any advantage to it? does it run much cooler?

rodm
25th October 2008, 03:06 AM
I have read many articles about the Aussie lately for obvious reasons and the common theme is a drop to below 60 cents and a slow recovery. Our exposure to the sub primes has not been realised yet and of course there will be a redcution in the resouce demand as the US recession kicks in so more reason to hold the value down. I think it will be next year before we see an upwards change in the dollar. It's a mugs game so any opinion is just that - an opinion.

Anyway back to important things. I helped a guy get his Chinese imported 2400 by 1200 Exitec machine running and it had Nema34 running R&P on X and Y so that might help you decide on that one.

If you don't mind water then that is the way I would go. I would expect water to be run at a more even temperature than air and not be affected so much by ambient temperatures. Continuous running or longer running jobs would have to benefit from water cooling over air. I will be running the 1.5kw water cooled spindle on the machine I am building (Morphy) and this air cooled unit will be working on a smaller 700 by 500 machine. Actually thinking this through spindles should be matched to speed and load rather than size of the machine. It's too late in the night for thinking. :-

crocky
25th October 2008, 11:07 AM
That Spindle looks (and sounds) GREAT.

Good to see it working with one of the Fuling VFD's too, prompted me to pull the wire covers off to see where the wires go - piece of cake :) so I am glad that I had a look now :)

Thanks for the piccy's too...

rodm
25th October 2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Bob,
You will not be disappointed in your spindle. In the video it is winding up just sitting on the bench and it only moves a little.
They are easy enough to get hooked up manually but I have yet to try the hookup through Mach3. I have a feeling somebody will get swamped with questions so maybe when you get to that stage we can do it in tandem and reduce our requests.

crocky
26th October 2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Bob,
You will not be disappointed in your spindle. In the video it is winding up just sitting on the bench and it only moves a little.
They are easy enough to get hooked up manually but I have yet to try the hookup through Mach3. I have a feeling somebody will get swamped with questions so maybe when you get to that stage we can do it in tandem and reduce our requests.

Sounds like a good plan, I won't be ready for while yet but when I do we'll get into it :)

crocky
28th October 2008, 09:38 AM
Still have not fired it up yet :)

I am at presently looking at a speed controller that will work with mach3. I think that Sean has the (now very expensive) C11 break out board, I already have a C10 break out board so I am going to use a DigiSpeed DC-06 from Peter Homann. Just waiting for a message from him to be sure it will work first (looks like it should).

I have tried sending a message to Fuling in China to attempt to get the correct wiring diagram for our controllers, no bounce and no answer yet :(

The water cooling Nipples arrived yesterday :2tsup: Sean :2tsup:

WillyInBris
28th October 2008, 10:07 AM
Still have not fired it up yet :)

I am at presently looking at a speed controller that will work with mach3. I think that Sean has the (now very expensive) C11 break out board, I already have a C10 break out board so I am going to use a DigiSpeed DC-06 from Peter Homann. Just waiting for a message from him to be sure it will work first (looks like it should).

I have tried sending a message to Fuling in China to attempt to get the correct wiring diagram for our controllers, no bounce and no answer yet :(

The water cooling Nipples arrived yesterday :2tsup: Sean :2tsup:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipples I love that word thanks Bob :U I would think the Didgi will work fine I think that's what Greg used but its best to get it all up and running in manual mode just off the controller first and have a play then add the speed controler and mach intigration I have been slack and havent done that part yet.

Sean

appiwood
28th October 2008, 12:04 PM
Hello Bob

I am going to connect my spindles through a C11 card so I can't verift that this will work, have you thought about using your C10 card just as a switch and varying the speed by the pot on the VFD?.

I don't know your physical setup but my VFD is near the computer / controller and would be easy to set the speed, one less variable to worry about in the Gcode as well.

Ed

crocky
28th October 2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Ed,

Yes I have thought of that but you know what we are like, if it can be controlled remotely.... I ordered the DC-06 tonight and it has 2 relays as well so I should be able to get everything working through it and the C10 :)

This is going to be a pretty good machine when I get it all done.

rodm
28th November 2008, 09:53 AM
Just a heads up on our ebay supplier.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-water-cooled-800w-motor-spindles-65-160mm_W0QQitemZ250333046501QQihZ015QQcategoryZ78197QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
The listing is for two spindle which makes them $240 US each including shipping. You still need to get a VFD but the listing is half price and buy it now. Maybe if a couple of you got together you could take advantage of the offer. They are about 1 HP in the old language.

John H
28th November 2008, 02:43 PM
hmmmm. Looks like it comes with a VFD

On Oct-21-08 at 01:38:33 PDT, seller added the following information:
INCLUING AN VARIBLE FRERUENCY INVERTER/CONTROLER AS A SET!!
If I get one, is anyone interested in the second spindle?

rodm
28th November 2008, 03:11 PM
I think he has recylcled an old listing and left the VFD in there by mistake. Note the date of the additional information being added is before this was listed.
I'd be checking first before jumping in as it would be a too good to be true price if the VFD's were included.

John H
28th November 2008, 03:37 PM
Yep I sent a message asking for confirmation. See how it goes.

After running my router for extended periods over the last couple of days, the noise is killing me.

rodm
28th November 2008, 04:40 PM
John,
The spindles do make a big difference and as you move more into 3D stuff and longer cutting times the router does get on your nerves. It also restricts the times you can use your machine so that you do not end up with complaints.
Well worth looking at with those prices. Don't forget a set of collets (from memory ER11's) as they take about three weeks to ship from HK.

John H
28th November 2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I can use my Metal Mill and Lathe at night no problems as they run fairly quiet.

Ch4iS
28th November 2008, 05:43 PM
hmmmm. Looks like it comes with a VFD

If I get one, is anyone interested in the second spindle?

On Oct-21-08 at 01:38:33 PDT, seller added the following information:

INCLUING AN VARIBLE FRERUENCY INVERTER/CONTROLER AS A SET!!

On Nov-27-08 at 21:57:23 PST, seller added the following information:

Please payattention!
The offer is only for 2pcs 800w water-cooled spindles withou VFD INVERTER.
IF YOU WANT TO HAVE INVERTER, PLEASE INQUIRE!
THANKS A LOT!

Maby something got lost in the communication.

Still his prices are $110USD cheaper than when I bought mine :( (1500watt and VDF) I think hes getting better prices on the VDF's now.

John H
28th November 2008, 08:16 PM
LOL, he was quick to update that after I emailed him. He did confirm they have ER11 Collets.

If anyone want's to halves, let me know.

John H
28th November 2008, 09:41 PM
He's added a single spindle and VFD after I asked about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250333599616&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com.au%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D250333599616%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1

Works out to around $730-$740 AUD inc shipping

niall
28th November 2008, 11:14 PM
I now of several big manufacters that use aircoolled spindels multicam is one of them..

Ch4iS
28th November 2008, 11:37 PM
I now of several big manufacters that use aircoolled spindels multicam is one of them..

Over long periods of running time wouldnt the heat sort of get to them? Thou Multicam do make some pretty cnc routers, see a few while going through images of how to build mine.

Personally I bought a watercooled spindle as its bugger all hassle to get a pump ect. and I believe it to be better.

John H
1st December 2008, 09:02 PM
What sort of water pump is everyone using with their spindles? Is it wired into the VFD so it starts with the spindle?

epineh
10th December 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi Rod, I was going to PM this to you but thought I would post here in case anybody else has an answer.

What acceleration times for standstill to full speed can you get with these spindles/VFD's ? In your video it looked like about 15 seconds, I didn't time it (too lazy) but that seemed about it.

I just ask as I am researching my next build and I am after a little speed, I am interested if the spindle will come to speed in about one or two seconds ?

Long story short I only have single phase at my house, am building a shed which will only be single phase and want a 1.5 to 2 Kwatt spindle but need it to ramp up within a couple of seconds, generally to do this you need a larger VFD, along the order of 4Kwatt, since most single phase units go to 2.2 KW I am up the creek unless the smaller one can push it hard enough.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

Russell.

rodm
10th December 2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Russell,
In the video I just hooked up the wires (got the rotation right by chance) and ran it. It is factory settings but talking to Greg and Sean who have these running you can program the VFD for faster ramping. 5 seconds from memory.
I am still building the machine so other than running the spindle to make sure it works I haven't spent any time on it.
As a matter of interest you can add a G4 P5 to your Gcode which will pause it for 5 seconds for the spindle to ramp up and probably need it to go down as well. Obviously altering the number after the P alters the delay in seconds. As you will not be constantly turning off and back on the motor I would think this a workable solution even if you include tool changing.

epineh
10th December 2008, 10:35 PM
Cheers Rod, the VFD's should be able to practically turn the motor on instantly, the only problem is if it is too fast the drive will fault out under overcurrent, from memory most drives I worked with had about a 0.5 sec minimum ramp up speed, they were never set to this (large process controll stuff) but the drive could do it.

I am trying to get fast speed on a shoestring budget, my plan is for about a 5 to 7 second toolchange, including spindle stop (using braking) tool change then tool zero set then spindle ramp up, from anywhere on the table (4metre table).

The spindle stop is easy with a braking resistor, a friend (Chich2 over on the Zone) has his mill spindle motor's pulling up in about half a second, it is just the ramp up that pushes the VFD.

No prob's I will keep looking around, the pause you mentioned is a really cool feature, I set it up on the little lathe I was playing around with and it was cool to watch the spindle ramp up, then the program start and do its thing, simple things I guess :D

Cheers.

Russell.

rodm
10th December 2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Russell,
I think we all try to do it cheap - we would buy a commercial machine if we had a money tree. :)
I have a new 9 X 20 lathe sitting in the workshop waiting to be converted. I just got a servo and controller to drive the spindle so hoping to fit that and have threading and indexing. I can see I will need your advice for the servo when the time comes as I know nothing about them.

epineh
11th December 2008, 07:27 AM
No probs I will help out if I can, watching a lathe do threads (by itself) is heaps of fun ! (maybe I need a life, lol)

Cheers.

Russell.

Ch4iS
11th December 2008, 11:53 AM
No probs I will help out if I can, watching a lathe do threads (by itself) is heaps of fun ! (maybe I need a life, lol)

Cheers.

Russell.

I've been watching the youtube videos of thredmaking (+ a few other items) but what I wanted to know how does it make a accurate thread if its just a AC Motor powering the Lathe? Or do you change it for the servo or stepper to make it accurate?

rodm
11th December 2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Chris
Nobody has responded so you get the electronics challenged reply. :)
You obviously need to feed at a given rate for threading. As I understand it there are three ways of doing it.
A 3 phase with VFD or a DC motor with variable speed. Both of these methods use a tachometer to monitor the speed and this feeds back to the controller to maintain a constant feed. A lot of guys use a treadmill motor so keep you eyes out on verge pickups.
The other way is to do what I am doing and use a servo motor and controller which has an encoder on the back of the motor to monitor the speed. The added advantage of the servo is it also know what degree the motor is at so you can start doing indexing as well.
Chances are I could be totally wrong about this but it is there to be corrected.

epineh
11th December 2008, 08:26 PM
The lathes that were threading that I watched used an encoder on the spindle, an encoder with an index pulse.

This pulse is sent to the controller and it does the rest. It sets up the threading pass then starts motion at the same time every time according to the index pulse, but taking a deeper cut every time. It is quite amazing how accurate it is from just the index pulse.

The last one I was watching was a retrofit on a big lathe a mate did to thread 20mm reo bar for a customer. It had a bar feed that made it all a bit cooler, it came in, the tool smoothed out the bar first then started the thread, serious stuff. All very fast.

Russell.

alladd@westmass
1st January 2009, 04:28 AM
Is it necessary to ground the spindle itself? (I'll be running the 2.2 KW , 400 HZ, 8 amp 220V spindle from Chinese Ebay vendor, running this with a Hitachi SJ200-015NFU VFD with single phase 220 input.) If so, where on the spindle do I attach the ground wire to? Should this ground wire (if required) be one of the conducters in the shielded cable, or a seperate bare or insulated wire? Thanks! Al Ladd www.alladd.com (http://www.alladd.com/)

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif