PDA

View Full Version : cropping

LiliB
5th October 2008, 02:43 PM
Hi gurus
I have spent some frustrating hours cropping images from magazines that I want to use as inspiration/ideas for paintings. I have Adobe photoshop, and used the cropping tool, however, I was wondering if anyone knows how to crop an irregular shaped image. I could not afford to lose too much of some of the images, and they were rather unusual in shape. I discovered that I could rotate the rectangle to deal with landscape images, however, many are too narrow or somewhere between rectangular and square in shape.

There must be a solution, it's just that I don't know it. I know when I converted these to 640x480 web images the proportions were retained. So it must be something to do with relative pixel sizes.

Regards
Lili Barlow
Greetings from the dusty Riverina
:U:U:U

wheelinround
5th October 2008, 03:11 PM
try this turtorial http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/bllps502f.htm

I think you really after the cut tool which there are a few tool types are available a lasso etc

which version are you using

LiliB
5th October 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Wheelin Around
I have Photoshop Elements 3, but am by no means particularly good at using it.

I think you are right. I am looking to cut, rather than crop. I had already thought about using a lasso and then cutting/cropping what's outside the area. But I would appreciate some directions.

Have attached a couple of examples, since pictures are supposed to be worth a thousand words.

I have added the linked Website to my favourites, and will certainly go through not just this bit, but others. Looks very useful for a novice

Regards
LiliB
:U:U:U

DJ’s Timber
5th October 2008, 04:16 PM
Haven't got or used Adobe Photoshop, but in most cropping cases, you can drag the each side of the boxes individually to make your own size

DJ’s Timber
5th October 2008, 04:26 PM
Here you go, using your image from above I have cropped it by dragging the sides individually and rotated as you can see here 85055 to get this 85056

LiliB
5th October 2008, 04:37 PM
Hi DJ
You're a genius! Of course I knew there was somewhere where I could use handles to shape the image to whatever I wanted, but do you think I could remember where it was.
In the basic program of adjustments that came with my Canon Camera.

:-:-:-
LiliB

DJ’s Timber
5th October 2008, 04:49 PM
:2tsup: :U

wheelinround
5th October 2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry Lilli Moto GP take precedent here :D

Ok TY DJ :2tsup: I was under the impression Lillib was after a tool to crop individual bits not the whole picture.

jow104
5th October 2008, 05:43 PM
YOu can also use a lasso tool, (seek edge, point to point, or freehand) select the unusual shape area then go to delete and you are left with whats inside the selected area.

Save as with a new title otherwise you will lose your original picture for further manipulation.

Also go to google and type adobe elements tutorials and there should be enough lessons out there to keep you going for a couple of years.

LiliB
5th October 2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks Jow104.

I have posted in other sections, and have never seen such a lighning response. Must be something special about we photographers.

:U:U
LiliB
From the dusty Riverina

fenderbelly
5th October 2008, 08:43 PM
i run vista and it comes with a snip tool so you can cut whatever you want.

Picasa 2 is a free download that lets you do various things as well and Irfan view is another good free download that lets you image resize in CMs inches or pixels

cheers Fred

Barry_White
5th October 2008, 08:58 PM
Picasa 2 is a free download that lets you do various things as well and Irfan view is another good free download that lets you image resize in CMs inches or pixels

cheers Fred
Picasa 3 is now available> Brilliant program.

LiliB
6th October 2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Fred and Bazza
I appreciate both the help and quick response. I think now I have the means to crop in any context I need.

Regards
LiliB:U:U:U