PDA

View Full Version : Resin try #2

BoomerangInfo
6th October 2008, 04:38 PM
So here's my 2nd attempt at casting.

At least I had no air bubbles this time. I was going for a "coffee scroll" type look, for anyone who remembers those yummy biscuits we used to have as kids - around my place anyway.

Well, it didn't work. I didn't get the cinnamon mixed in anywhere near enough, or it floated out again - not sure. Anyway, ignoring all the things wrong with the pen (too fat, end doesn't match the nib - not sure what happened there, I must have had the wrong bush in, and the blowout that I patched) what do you think of just the blank itself? My wife doesn't like the colours. She liked my first white one because it has a "marble" look. This will be my last cast for a bit I think - can't afford to buy any more resin for a while.

Russell.

mag
6th October 2008, 05:46 PM
Nice one.

I don't think the nib looks out of place.

Haven't tried any mixes yet but look forward to trying.

Mike

Simomatra
6th October 2008, 05:57 PM
It looks Ok from here Russell. If you are worried about the nib just pull it apart and re-turn it.

The blank looks like Corian.:2tsup:

As I said in another post my vacuum bits arrived today so will have to have another go soon.

BoomerangInfo
6th October 2008, 06:13 PM
It looks Ok from here Russell. If you are worried about the nib just pull it apart and re-turn it.

As I said in another post my vacuum bits arrived today so will have to have another go soon.

Yeah I thought about pulling it apart, just my luck I'd wreck the nib completely trying to disassemble it.

Can't wait to see your vacuum results - I have some included wood you can fill for me if you like :p

Russell.

Simomatra
6th October 2008, 08:18 PM

No problems Russell just wait til I have a practice run.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2008, 11:13 PM
I don't like the colours of the blank, but going by the success of those horrible "glitz" & "glitter" blanks I'd guess that it would be popular with young kids. (I'd say girls instead of kids, but that'd be sexist of me, eh wot? :rolleyes:)

What's causing your bubbles? You're using a wetting agent in the mould? I found vibrating the moulds while drying can get the worst of the bubles out if the resin's a bit thick 'n gelatinous.

(I've gotten into soooo much trouble by leaving blanks to dry on the clothes dryer... :- )

NewLondon88
6th October 2008, 11:47 PM
I think Skew is right on this one .. although the color isn't to my taste, I can see it
selling to younger buyers. In fact, the color looks a lot like a TruStone blank I just
turned yesterday called Pink Coral. It has some of the swirls you were going for, but
also has some of the same white spots. So whatever you did, you're not that far off! :2tsup:
(then again, my gallon of resin is still unopened..)

BoomerangInfo
7th October 2008, 07:04 AM
What's causing your bubbles? You're using a wetting agent in the mould? I found vibrating the moulds while drying can get the worst of the bubles out if the resin's a bit thick 'n gelatinous.

(I've gotten into soooo much trouble by leaving blanks to dry on the clothes dryer... :- )

I think my first bubbles were just a combo of inexperience with mixing & poster paints. I just did everything a little better the second time.

As for vibrating the moulds, I'm sure you'd have been in more trouble with your wife if you used some of her other vibrating appliances... :-

I think I have enough resin for 1 blank left, if I can partition my mould to hold just that much. Still short on colouring substances though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised no one's made a comment on the Cinnamon component.

Russell.

NewLondon88
7th October 2008, 08:04 AM
I

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised no one's made a comment on the Cinnamon component.

Russell.

Not all of us have Smell-O-Vision on our computers yet.. :D