PDA

View Full Version : end grain sealer

texx
6th October 2008, 08:24 PM
G,day
today i spotted the stumps in a yard in town of some trees that a guy had not long ago cut down .
then found out they were silky oak ( big ones )and he took em to the dump and the shire burned them.
but i spoke to his wife ( i know him quite well but he was not there at the time ) and she said there is one more to go and its a big one too , so i told her not to let him burn this one i will give him a hand to fell it and i will take the main trunk and some of the bigger branches .
now my question what are you guys using for end grain sealer on your logs these days ( its a long time since i did any over 20 years ) i always just used old paint but do remember that there was a proper sealer for the job waxy sort of stuff from memory ( i think the guy that i bought some wood turning stuff from out at the gap ( brissy )had it .
i am in toowoomba every wednesday there must be some where there that carries wood turning supplies in toowoomba ( aint looked yet but i will )

weisyboy
6th October 2008, 08:38 PM
i use end grain sealer.

i buy it in packs of 10L drums for wood turning supplies at the gap. they post it out to me to.

www.woodturningsupplies.com

BobL
6th October 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm still going through my old house paint. Once the paint is dry, grit and sand are much less likely to stick to paint than that waxy end sealer stuff which stays tacky and soft for a long time allowing grit to embed into it. I hate having to run my freshly sharpened CS though the end of the log with all that grit. Yes you can cut a half inch off the log before you cut but then you have to paint end sealer all on again. The other thing I have used is PVA glue diluted 2 or 3 to 1 with water but while I have paint I will continue to use it

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2008, 10:56 PM
I pays the $$$ and gets Mobilcer. But I've also used all of the above, including paraffin wax, bitumen, you name it, when that's all I've had to hand.

Basically, anything is better than nothing and should be applied immediately on cutting. ie. sealing with paint while you cut up a log is better than waiting until you get home to use the expensive end grain sealant you forgot to throw in the trailer!

(And you can always trim off the last half-inch and reseal later, if you're feeling particularly fussy. :wink:)

funkychicken
6th October 2008, 11:06 PM
At work we use a "water and wax emulsion" made by caltex. Looks kinda like mayo.

Ed Reiss
6th October 2008, 11:19 PM
Hi Texx...

Here's a link to a pretty good blurb about wood sealers:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/wax-emulsion.html

texx
7th October 2008, 07:45 AM
thanks for all your answers guys , every one to their own seems like .

Rum Pig
7th October 2008, 09:01 AM
I use paint and found primer paint to be the best. The main reason I use paint is because I can get if free:D if . I had to pay for it then I would probably buy the purpose made stuff. But while paint is free I will use that even if it is not as good.

Evan Pavlidis
13th October 2008, 03:38 AM
The cheapest end grain sealer I've used so far is made by cutting up packaging styrofoam in small pieces and immersing it in a glass or metal container with thinners until it has the consistancy of honey. It will dissolve before your eyes. Works well and dries rock hard. Make sure your container has a tight fitting lid.

P.S. all the above end grain sealers (paint, PVA etc. etc.) work just as effectively; I just found a cheaper way.

Hope this helps. :D

Evan