PDA

View Full Version : Frisbee Season - coudn't help myself

Robomanic
6th October 2008, 10:37 PM
See this is what happens when you keep an eye out. I was at my uncle's for a family reunion on the weekend and cast an eye over his wood heap. He is on a few hundred acres and this is one serious wood heap. Long story short I twisted another friendly uncle's arm and 10mins later I had a number of great fiddleback redgum blanks. This one cried out to be made into a platter so I couldn't help myself.

Unfortunately I liked it so much that I did not want to risk a big piece on the rim breaking off from a crack, so it's a bit heavier than I intended.

I have been reading up a lot on food safe finishes here but I would like something that would go hard and preserve the colour rather than a patina. It will only be used for dry chips and bickies. Any ideas?

tea lady
6th October 2008, 10:46 PM
Hey! Nice frisbee.:2tsup: I like how the circles of the grain and the dip-dint line up across the middle. Bringing it to the fly off?:D

Don't know about the finish.:shrug: I am currently using WOP on my functional stuff.:cool:

nalmo
6th October 2008, 10:52 PM
I talked to a turner who was selling bowls at the Esplanade market recently. He told me he finishes his bowls with Grapeseed Oil - won't go rancid like olive oil. It gave a nice satin finish to his work.

Robomanic
6th October 2008, 11:17 PM
I see a lot of people are voting for grape seed or paraffin oil, but neither go hard as far as I know because they are not cross polymerising.

DJ’s Timber
6th October 2008, 11:33 PM
Nice frisbee :;

I'd probably used shellawax cream or HBO myself

tea lady
6th October 2008, 11:34 PM
I have also used a product called "eco wood wipe" from ye olde Bunnings. It is made for finishing chopping boards and kitchen stuff. It smells very orangy at first but smell disappears after a while. It goes hard rather than just oily, so maybe has tung oil in it. Which is also food safe I think.) Organoil Hard burnishing oil is also food safe, and if you are not after a reeeeeally shiiiiiny finish you don't have to do all that hard burnishing.:rolleyes: But is you haven't already got some of that in the shed, the eco wood wipe is around $10 for a small bottle, rather than $29 for 1 liter if HB oil.

Ed Reiss
6th October 2008, 11:45 PM
It will only be used for dry chips and bickies.

What....no cup holders for the beer?:?:doh:

Lookin' good RBM. :2tsup:

Walnut oil is used a lot here in the states as a food safe finish. It has been reported that tung oil finish (not pure tung oil as that never dries) is also food safe once it has completely dried.

ss_11000
7th October 2008, 12:08 AM
Nice peice mate:2tsup:

Like Dj, I would go for Shellawax (cream).

Ad de Crom
7th October 2008, 12:49 AM
Very nice work on the platter Robomanic, why they call it all the time a frisbee, it isn't a frisbee but a very nice looking platter folks. Can't give you not another advice than the finish I use all the time,Glitsa. I swear by that product.
Ad :2tsup:

Robomanic
7th October 2008, 12:49 AM
Bringing it to the fly off?:D

an idle moment had me thinking about launching mechanisms - does 's lathe have a Blood alcohol interlock? better behave myself

and if you are not after a reeeeeally shiiiiiny finish you don't have to do all that hard burnishing.:rolleyes:.

Well if it was a pole lathe I might complain but really I just stand there... :D

Nice peice mate:2tsup:

Like Dj, I would go for Shellawax (cream).

I started out with the Organoil Oil (echo...) and their furniture wax years ago and I was very happy with it at the time. I can't remember if the wax could stand up to water very well though. I will look into the tung oil and shellawax I think

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. - oops and gals

RETIRED
7th October 2008, 07:31 AM
Very nice work on the platter Robomanic, why they call it all the time a frisbee, it isn't a frisbee but a very nice looking platter folks. Can't give you not another advice than the finish I use all the time,Glitsa. I swear by that product.
Ad :2tsup:Aussie humour Ad,:D Started here:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=79456

Grumpy John
7th October 2008, 07:42 AM
.......Can't give you not another advice than the finish I use all the time,Glitsa. I swear by that product.
Ad :2tsup:

Is this the product you're talking about Ad?
http://www.glitsa.com/documents/Flyer_Systems.pdf

Rum Pig
7th October 2008, 08:53 AM
Nice frisbee/plater:2tsup:

I normally use Shallawax but I'm about to try Shallawax cream so that is all I can recommend for your finish.

Robomanic
7th October 2008, 09:23 AM
What....no cup holders for the beer?:?:doh:

The dip lip will keep hold of a stubbie once the nibbles are polished off I reckon Ed. Maybe some clip-ons :U

I am eying off a bandsaw at the moment and I would like to make a yin/yang type bowl for the center, or maybe an off-center turned and carved bowl if the bandsaw is not forthcoming.

Manuka Jock
7th October 2008, 01:40 PM
Aussie humour Ad,:D Started here:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=79456

Weren't the first Frisbees tin pie baking dishes and platters , until some enterprising people started moulding them out of plastic ?

We missed our chance there folks , we shoulda done em with lacquered balsa-wood ........
bugga :doh: we coulda been zillionaires

RETIRED
7th October 2008, 06:28 PM
All you need to know :D http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa980218.htm

Sawdust Maker
7th October 2008, 08:42 PM
All you need to know :D http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa980218.htm

: Too much info :D

back to the orig platter/Frisbee, I'd use either ubeaut's shellawax or organoil's hard burnishing oil
as for cup/can holders "what's wrong with your left hand!":roll: