PDA

View Full Version : Train caddy

Andy Mac
7th October 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi there,
Here's my latest bit of woodwork, a toy for my son's 4th birthday. He's a Thomas fanatic so instead of buying yet another label item, I knocked together a caddy for storing all his trains. Its very similar to a commercial version, having two decks with grooves to locate the wheels, but I added wheels (always a hit with this boy:rolleyes:) and a catch up front so he can hook up with the steam engine I made a while back.
Made from offcuts of ply, and the grooves produced with a radial arm saw, easy-peasy. The wheels were an experiment, made from a very dense black foam rubber we scored at work...metres of scrap from an engineering works. Unsure of how well the Liquid Nails will stay connected to the dowel axles.
Finished with sample pot acrylic paint, of which I seem to have buckets!

Cheers

tea lady
7th October 2008, 03:03 PM
Fantastic.:cool: I know a few boys that would love that.:2tsup:

rick_rine
18th October 2008, 02:19 PM
Very nice Andy. Here's a photo of The Little Engine That Could made from building offcuts free but for the fron wheels from a two dollar shop.

joe greiner
18th October 2008, 09:21 PM
I reckon a Thomas the Tank face would be about right for my backyard railroad's locomotive, subject to re-design of the encasement. A Work-In-(Non)Progress, alas. This pic is over a year old.

The drive train is to be adopted from an electric scooter transaxle, with quarter-turn belt drives. The tyres are built-up polyurethane sealant, on plywood disks mounted on Grizzly bench mandrels. The side cutouts on the "keel" beam accommodate curved track. Batteries will rest on the keel beam. Almost all air space inside will be filled with removable lead castings in a variety of shapes, for ballast. The fat hubs are remnants of an earlier concept for removable auxiliary wheels, now abandoned.

In the meantime, I've used the railway and carriages to move stuff around by pushing, or coasting downhill.

Yeah, TL, I know an old boy who would love that.

I'm retaining the pic's folder chain, so I can build a proper thread when/if.

Joe <2007_09_27/100_0023.jpg

AUSSIE
18th October 2008, 09:52 PM
Eerh-- cant think of the right words Joe.
Very nice job and an acurate description I would say
Aussie:rolleyes:

munruben
19th October 2008, 01:08 PM
:iagree:nice work Andy Mac. Joe that's got to be a work of art :2tsup:

joe greiner
20th October 2008, 01:15 AM
I apologise for the hijack. The idea for the wheel construction might be useful for others, though.

Joe

RufflyRustic
20th October 2008, 06:08 AM
Hmm, a future Train driver or even Engineer in the making there Andy?:D:2tsup:

Lipsmacker01
15th November 2008, 09:09 PM
Gorgeous! My girl would luv that! Good job bet you've done him proud