PDA

View Full Version : Chest of drawers

AlexS
7th October 2008, 03:31 PM
Chest of drawers for my grand daughter, Tas. Myrtle, jarrah handles. Ubeaut hard shellac finish.

watson
7th October 2008, 03:52 PM
Very Classy Stuff :2tsup: :2tsup:

BobR
7th October 2008, 04:45 PM
Now that is nice. Love the knobs. Well done Alex.

Wongo
7th October 2008, 04:46 PM
Alex, that is beautiful. How did you cut the bevel at the top?

AlexS
7th October 2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks gents.

How did you cut the bevel at the top?
On the table saw. Used a maglock fence to hold it upright against the fence, and just guided it through and planed it.

Stopper
7th October 2008, 09:18 PM
Good job on the back. Sensei told me no one looks at the back but I reckon it makes all the difference when you carry it in to the customers house and you don't care what side they see.
Cheers
Steve

Waldo
7th October 2008, 09:29 PM
G'day Alex,

Love the chest of drawers, as always it's up to your very high standard. :2tsup:

blockhed
7th October 2008, 09:44 PM
:2tsup:
lovely job indeed.
how big is the chest AlexS ?
also, the Ubeaut finish-does it handle heat and moisture like varnish ?
regards
the block

Cliff Rogers
7th October 2008, 09:47 PM

Claw Hama
7th October 2008, 10:19 PM
Sweet!!

Superbunny
7th October 2008, 10:45 PM
simple, nice clean lines, practical and beautiful. What more could one ask for.:D:D

Woodwould
7th October 2008, 10:56 PM
Top job! :2tsup:

RicB
7th October 2008, 11:32 PM
Really nice, love the simple lines, that's a "save picture as" for inspiration later on. :2tsup:

AlexS
8th October 2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Good job on the back. Sensei told me no one looks at the back but I reckon it makes all the difference when you carry it in to the customers house and you don't care what side they see.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve. Because it will be used initially as a change table, the back will be visible, and anyway, you never know who's going to look at it.:D

how big is the chest AlexS ?
also, the Ubeaut finish-does it handle heat and moisture like varnish ?
regards
the block
Size is 700w x 950h x 430d. I used the Ubeaut hard shellac because it's a bit more durable than straight shellac. A chest I did for my older daughter a few years ago has withstood coffee cups etc pretty well.

Ozkaban
8th October 2008, 09:38 AM
Nice work Alex!

I do like the back... You can put chests of drawers in the middle or the room, right???

Cheers,
Dave

bitingmidge
8th October 2008, 09:41 AM
Nice work Alex!

I'm becoming a bit of a fan of Myrtle.

Size is 700w x 950h x 430d. I used the Ubeaut hard shellac because it's a bit more durable than straight shellac. A chest I did for my older daughter a few years ago has withstood coffee cups etc pretty well.

How many cubits is that? :p

If you wouldn't mind, how many coats of hard shellac did you use and how did you apply it?

cheers,

P

RufflyRustic
8th October 2008, 10:51 AM
An absolute stunner Alex :):2tsup: I have to confess I thought the back was a second cupboard you were showing :B

cheers
Wendy

Peter36
8th October 2008, 05:28 PM
That's an heirloom that your grand daughter can pass on Alex and with a finished back like that it could be free standing . The handles look great . Do they have a finger recess at the bottom ?

Regards
Peter :2tsup::2tsup:

AlexS
11th October 2008, 07:58 PM
If you wouldn't mind, how many coats of hard shellac did you use and how did you apply it?

cheers,

P
I put 2 coats of hard shellac over a coat of ordinary white shellac on the top, applied with a wad of cotton wool inside a cotton hanky. The rest is 3 coats of white shellac.

The handles look great . Do they have a finger recess at the bottom ?

Yes, I coved them out on the tablesaw in one long piece, before I shaped them, then separated them.

Wood Borer
11th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Even though I wouldn't expect much less from you Alex, it is tops.:2tsup:

ciscokid
13th October 2008, 11:56 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Something that will be handed down for generations. I hope you signed it somewhere. :)

Johncs
15th October 2008, 12:19 AM
I put 2 coats of hard shellac over a coat of ordinary white shellac on the top, applied with a wad of cotton wool inside a cotton hanky. The rest is 3 coats of white shellac.

Yes, I coved them out on the tablesaw in one long piece, before I shaped them, then separated them.

Wife and I had our first home built in Canberra, and by chance all the kitchen cupboards' handles were angled down a little.

Little kids never figured how to open them, but the angle was purrfect for adults:;

AlexS
15th October 2008, 08:28 AM
Yes John, I designed them so that a small child couldn't stand on them.

Johncs
15th October 2008, 12:11 PM
Yes John, I designed them so that a small child couldn't stand on them.

I was wondering how you engineered a cupboard so small children couldn't stand on them, and was thinking of telling about the time Mrs walked into the kitchen to see Twin 2 aka Michelle standing on a barstool (fortunately, not one that swivels) reaching into the pantry, with Twin 1 safely on the floor encouraging, "Higher, 'Chelle, higher."

Then the penny dropped, so I won't:D

Des.K.
16th October 2008, 02:06 AM
Beautiful work Alex. :2tsup:

Oh if only I could get hold of some hard shellac here in Toyama.

Des