PDA

View Full Version : Egg on a handle...!

robutacion
7th October 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Some time ago, in conversation with the wife of a friend of mine, it was mentioned an interesting wooden tool used in those days to mend socks. I was familiar with the common wooden egg for this purpose, but this lady had fine memories of a egg with an handle, made by her father when she was a young girl. This tool was left behind when she migrated to Australia many years ago so, its whereabouts and or existence is unknown, and it will be quite certain to say that, lost forever.:?
Anyway, from the conversation I manage to get some fundamental information which did increase my curiosity and possibly, how it looked like. I was told the timber was heavy and red, the egg part was the size of a large duck egg, the handle had a firm grip into the hand and it was finished with natural oils, of satin look, smooth touch and nice smell.:rolleyes:
I did mention to her that I would do one, one day, as she did sounded still very emotional attached to this wooden sock mender, given as a gift by her father (long gone).

I hope that she likes it, and that some how, I could have been close to her fathers timber, shape and finish, in his memory...!

My timber selection was Sheoak, the finish and nice smell is from 4 coats of Organoil "Woodsheen", the texturing was made with home made texturing tool, and the design is my interpretation of her vague description.

She doesn't know it yet but, the item was posted today.:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

wheelinround
7th October 2008, 05:52 PM
Called a Darning Dolly LOML or oldest son has an original brought over from Germany/Hungary when MIL emigrated here in 56. It has Eidelwise painted on it.

It has a dome shaped head rather than an egg.

tea lady
7th October 2008, 06:07 PM
I think it looks great. Egg shape should work fine if she ever felt the need to actually mend a sock.:2tsup: She will be so chuffed that you thought to make it for her.:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th October 2008, 06:12 PM
Actually, I didn't know they had handles.

Mum used to use just a plain wooden egg that she'd slip into the heel or toe of the sock. (Not that I've seen her darning socks in the last 30 years...)

Nice job RBTCO, what did you use for the texturing?

Ad de Crom
7th October 2008, 07:24 PM
RBTCO, this form do me think on Switserland. In wintertime people are doing a lot of home work, like woodcarving etc. Saw something simular when I was there a few years ago.
Ad

joe greiner
7th October 2008, 09:03 PM
IIRC, my Mum had something like that, but molded plastic with a simple narrow handle. My sister probably has it now. The egg shape likely mates with sock parts of different surface curvatures, so it could be used for repairs in most failure locations without creating a distorted final shape.

Joe

robutacion
7th October 2008, 11:22 PM
Actually, I didn't know they had handles.

Mum used to use just a plain wooden egg that she'd slip into the heel or toe of the sock. (Not that I've seen her darning socks in the last 30 years...)
Nice job RBTCO, what did you use for the texturing?

The texturing was done with one of my home made texturing tools, the one in the pic, to be more precise!:wink:

As I said, I have never seen one of these with a handle either, nor anything else used to mend socks that wouldn't look like a normal egg (no handles). I understand there should be many other people that has seen or know about this old method of repair holes in socks, not that would be worth it in our days, but not the case in the old days for most of us.
I wouldn't know the origin of this tool, or how many "versions" of it are/were out there, I know that as a kid, my mum would make me mend my own socks, using a large chicken wooden egg. I have no doubt that in some countries and in some cultures, this toll is still used today as was many years ago.
I also find interesting/rewarding that the design did resemble a similar tool seen in another Country, considering that I did no research of any kind on this matter, but instead imagine the egg that I used as a kid, with a firm handle, as my friend's wife recalled.
I have actually tested this tool before I posted it, and I can ensure everyone of its usefulness and easy use with the handle. I wish I did had one like that when I was young, because I was so good at it that in no time I had to mend everyone else's socks in a house of 8...!:doh::)

I'm glad that some others like it too, it was a simple exercise but I was pleased the way it come up, thanks!:D

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
8th October 2008, 12:03 AM
Hey...nice turning RBTCO:2tsup:...like the texture!

OGYT
8th October 2008, 04:20 AM
RBTCO, that's just plain beautiful! What an ingenious design! The texturing just makes the piece!
Mind if I steal... er, ah, copy your work? I think they'll sell like hotcakes as a nostalgia piece.
I have a texturing tool exactly like that one. My FIL used it to texture leather. I've tried it a time or two, but didn't get as nice a job of texturing like yours. Well done! :D

robutacion
8th October 2008, 01:25 PM
RBTCO, that's just plain beautiful! What an ingenious design! The texturing just makes the piece!
Mind if I steal... er, ah, copy your work? I think they'll sell like hotcakes as a nostalgia piece.
I have a texturing tool exactly like that one. My FIL used it to texture leather. I've tried it a time or two, but didn't get as nice a job of texturing like yours. Well done! :D

Hi OGYT,
Go for your life mate, if you think they sell, even better, good for you...!:U
This texturing tool was my first and was made by using a normal metal large washer with a small hole, a small grinder with a cutting disk to cut the "V" sections, holding the washer by hand and cutting the notches by "eye" (no markings or divisions).
The thing with these texturing tools is that you can never tell exactly the design(s) they will make. I say designs because, they vary depending on 3 major factors, 1- is the number of passes, 2- the way the tools is worked into the timber (running slowlly accross or one place at the time, and 3- the hardness and composition of the timber. This particular texturing tool, doesn't work on soft timbers, cutting and chewing the timber into threads. For softer timbers I've made a softer tool (head) approach, not allowing the tool to dig and tear the timber appart. Again, the final design (effect) depend on the same thecnique of working the tool. This other texturing tool (head), was made out of the main coug of an old electric drill, with a groove all around the centre of the teeth, made with a thin cutting blade on the grinder. Was no particular reason for this cut, and I wouldn't do it again, no benefit!:-

Anyway, I hope this info can be useful if someone wants to have a go at it.

RBTCO

Texian
8th October 2008, 01:41 PM
RBTCO,
My mother had one of those (darning egg) more than a half century ago, and used it frequently, or I would have had no socks to wear. IIRC the size and shape were similar to yours, except the handle was smaller diameter and a fairly plain shape. Nice job on yours.

oldiephred
11th October 2008, 09:16 AM
Very nice
I have made those darning things for quite some time but find that people prefer more of a mushroom shape. The accent lines look good but if the tools are actually used for the purpose made, the small grooves might cause some problems with needle control.
They sell well at craft sales even if mostly for nostalgia. The $ look the same regardless of the use.

Ed Reiss
10th November 2008, 06:33 AM
LOML was going through a few boxes upstairs today and she came across this darning egg that was given to her by her Great Aunt, so a conservative guess to age would be probably from the 1920's or 30's ...the egg, not the wife!

It appears to be maple with either a shellac or varnish finish. Overall length is 15.5mm, with 8mm being the egg, and a 4.7mm diameter. Handle turned separately so that it could be used with or without the handle.

Can't think of any modern use for it other than to club the cat with it occasionally!!:dev: ...not surprisingly SHMBO has a different slant on that... :negrep:

Manuka Jock
10th November 2008, 08:24 AM
Good egg that RBTCO :2tsup:
I like the texturing too , and the tool.

My mum had a mushroom shaped one , about 3in dia. with a 3in handle .
She may still have it , tho I doubt that it's been used for years

tea lady
10th November 2008, 09:10 AM
Here is a you tube video of darning a sock. Her egg on a stick is not as elegant as yours, Maybe you could make her one.

In these hard times:rolleyes:, and a pair of socks costing nearly $10, maybe its a skill that needs reviving.

YouTube - darning a sock

OGYT
10th November 2008, 11:32 AM
Good video, TL, wish they'd had her voice a little louder. You're right, maybe by selling some of these darning dollies, we'll get the art started again. If you can call it art. And I think there is an art to it, because you'd have to be an artist at it to keep it from feeling a bump on your foot. :D

coffenup
10th November 2008, 08:49 PM
My mums sock darning thingy was in the shape of a mushroom not an egg shape
Both shapes look like the work in the same way
Regards Michael

powderpost
10th November 2008, 10:10 PM
My mother used to use a light bulb to repair socks and woolen jumpers.
Jim

tea lady
10th November 2008, 10:12 PM
My mother used to use a light bulb to repair socks and woolen jumpers.
Jim

:hmm: I wonder if it works with those spiral flouros. :doh::rolleyes:

Allan at Wallan
10th November 2008, 10:21 PM
Well I'll be darned !

I can't wait to get out on the lathe now and
make one for the missus. Might be able to
resurrect some of my Sunday (holy) socks.:2tsup:

Allan

robutacion
11th November 2008, 02:14 AM
Well I'll be darned !

I can't wait to get out on the lathe now and
make one for the missus. Might be able to
resurrect some of my Sunday (holy) socks.:2tsup:

Allan

Well, anything that is made toward making the "missus" happy, is worth the effort but, I'm a little concern about this type tool, (design/shape), I hope isn't going to be a double ended sward, as it can turn into a weapon, if "they" get upset...!:oo:

I hope everyone feels safe...!:D

Cheers
RBTCO

pitbull
11th November 2008, 05:07 PM
My Gran and my mam had the mushroom shaped
type, the handle was hollow to hold the needles. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th November 2008, 05:15 PM
My Gran had a few of 'em, one of my cousins and I used to regularly get into heaps of trouble when we visited her ... we used to play "Grenadiers" with 'em. :D:-

Hmmm... I might turn up a few for Mum, to both get brownie points and relive some childhood memories. I'd better resist adding ring-pulls though... and I imagine that US pineapples would be hard to pass off. :think:

Ed Reiss
12th November 2008, 01:20 AM
My Gran had a few of 'em, one of my cousins and I used to regularly get into heaps of trouble when we visited her ... we used to play "Grenadiers" with 'em. :D:-

Hmmm... I might turn up a few for Mum, to both get brownie points and relive some childhood memories. I'd better resist adding ring-pulls though... :think:

.....might not want to try getting 'em past airport security, either!:no: