PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up Hand Hewn timbers -

mjette
7th October 2008, 07:33 PM
I purchased hand hewn timbers from an old barn and power washed them. I believe that I used too much pressure and the wood looks frayed in places. I need to sand it down or use an tool to reshape to make it look original. These are for a exposed truss. What would you suggest doing. Using an Adze or Sanding. Please provide any tips on what to do. I want a clean authentic look.

Thanks

thebodger
8th October 2008, 04:56 PM
I purchased hand hewn timbers from an old barn and power washed them. I believe that I used too much pressure and the wood looks frayed in places. I need to sand it down or use an tool to reshape to make it look original. These are for a exposed truss. What would you suggest doing. Using an Adze or Sanding. Please provide any tips on what to do. I want a clean authentic look.

if you want the authentic look an adze is the way to go, but watch them toes! a broadaxe or sideaxe will do the job too.

jape
30th October 2008, 09:10 PM
Depends on the finish you want but I quite like a wire-brushed finish! I have used it on both green 'sleepers' and on years-old jarrah. Start on a scrap or an inside face. Try different brushes, power and hand-driven and brass and steel to get to what you like. Some can be aggressive. I assume you want an aged look without splinters, well the wire brush removes more soft grain than hard and depending on the wood type, will end up quite smooth but with a pleasing look and an excellent feel when you rub your fingers over it.