PDA

View Full Version : Replica Coffee Table

Carry Pine
7th October 2008, 09:29 PM
Client purchased the pictured coffee table below (pictures 1,2,3). Made from recycled Kauri pine tongue and groove flooring, screwed and glued together and cabriloe legs attached. Very rustic including nail holes, splits filled with what looks like chewing gum, white ant damage- you name it.

I was commissioned to make a replica.
Read on:.........

Carry Pine
7th October 2008, 09:41 PM
Continued....

I sourced the Kauri Pine from the dump at $1 a metre. Turned out to be ex-wall cladding, tongue and groove at 28mm thick! Sanded back the green and most of the white paint and screwed it all together. Made the cabriloe legs- first attempt with lots of help from a guy at the local Men's Shed.
One coat of Danish oil all over and 2 coats on the Radiata pine legs to make them darker. Picture 4 even shows a copy of the white ant damage to the edge (in this case it's dry rot) but I even managed to get the bearing to go 'off ' line just like on the original.

Do I sound cynical, sorry.- (no I'm not.)

I loved the exercise of doing the cabriole legs- a real challenge when I was tempted to have them made for me. (People on the forum talked me into doing them myself).

And you are all wondering who would have given me the task of copying the table - well I think most people would know!

Graham

flynnsart
7th October 2008, 10:37 PM
Well done:2tsup: Cabriole legs are fun to do:U

Donna