PDA

View Full Version : Help, please!

bigfish
7th October 2008, 10:13 PM
Hello all.

I purchased a Woodfast lathe from Jim Carroll at the Canberra Wood Show but haven't had a lot of time to "play" with it yet. I've never done ANY woodturning before.

First discovery = dont drop the GPW 4 jaw chuck on one's toe (but better than the concrete floor, methinks!).

First thing I did was turned a slimline pen, blew the first two blanks to pieces, but I'm gonna blame the Brazilian Maple for that. The third (cocbolo) turned out quite well apart from the ends not being square because my barrel trimmer was on backorder. Also, haven't got the knack of Shellawax yet.

But herein lies my problem - when turning (with a roughing gouge), instead of getting lovely fluffy ribbons of shavings, I get small "chips" a millimetre or two wide.

Obviously faulty technique, but where? I haven't got to the guild to borrow some basic dvds or books, yet, but would like to be able to show some improvement.

I'm going to work on some 50x50 Tassie Oak thats been lying around for a few years and I'd rather end up with anything other than sawdust!

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
Alan

funkychicken
7th October 2008, 10:17 PM
Ribbons with a roughing gouge?? You're dreaming:rolleyes:

bigfish
7th October 2008, 10:21 PM

Maybe, but anything would be better than small moon shaped chips.

Or have I got it completely wrong?

funkychicken
7th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Well maybe I'm also doing it wrong because I always get chips. The roughing gouge isn't really a slicing tool

tea lady
7th October 2008, 11:15 PM

I think you might actually have it right. Or at least not to far wrong. Are you doing the rubbing the bevel then lifting the handle till the edge is cutting? Or just shoving it in like a scraper? Which works, but ...:rolleyes:.

Manuka Jock
7th October 2008, 11:43 PM

Alan ,
list the tools you have and photos if possible , and maybe someone will be able to give you some guidance .

Others can and will , but you might get specialized assistance
if you can add ' Pen turners ' to this this thread title . It may help :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
7th October 2008, 11:45 PM

not if ya turning MDF :D .

Ed Reiss
7th October 2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Alan...welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of woodturning.

All beginners have a certain degree of difficulty in getting a gouge to cut, so don't feel like your alone.

First off, put your exotic and expensive woods on the shelf for now, and get some "ordinary" wood to practice on. This way there is less stress and if the piece blows up on you it won't be $$$ down the drain.

The roughing gouge is primarily used to get a blank round from a square...chances are that your not going to get any significant curls during this stage. Once the entire blank is round, switch to a spindle gouge. Place your tool rest approximatley 1/8th to 1/4 inch from the blank and just below the centerline of the blank.

Now, without trying to cut, place the gouge's heel of the bevel on the spinning blank with the cutting edge not making contact. Keeping the bevel rubbing, slowly bring up the back of the gouge's handle until the cutting edge just engages the spinning wood.

Keep practicing this and guaranteed you'll get the hang of making nice, big curls!:2tsup:

Here is a link to a web site for more information on basic turning:
http://www.bigtreetools.com/articles/practice.html

ss_11000
7th October 2008, 11:54 PM
you dont get ribbons untill you get your piece round :)

Cliff Rogers
8th October 2008, 08:16 AM
you dont get ribbons untill you get your piece round :)

Correct.

If the gouge is sharp you should be able to plane with the wings & get ribbons if the bevel is rubbing but it won't happen if the cut is interrupted (blank isn't round) or you are using it like a scraper.

Rum Pig
8th October 2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Bigfish

Do not get put off by not getting big curls, you can still turn nice stuff without them:),

Yes it is better to have them as you are getting a better finish of the tool and us less sandpaper.
The ability to make curls will come with time and experience, As Ed Reiss said Patrice on cheap or even free piece of wood like off cuts of pine you May find around a construction sight, if you are not sure if something is safe to turn post it on this forum and someone will help.
It took me about 12mths to be able to get curls Constantly so do not panic just have fun getting there.
Last if you can join a club or find someone with experience that is willing to show you the basics.

Good Luck

Tornatus
8th October 2008, 10:57 PM
Obviously faulty technique, but where? I haven't got to the guild to borrow some basic dvds or books, yet, but would like to be able to show some improvement.

Mate, don't be afraid to turn up to any turning session at the Guild - someone will always be on hand to get you started with basic techniques. We were all beginners once, and you shouldn't feel you need to get yourself up to some minimum level of competence on your own before mixing with the "real" turners. The whole idea of our regular monthly sessions - on the second Monday evening and the Saturday afternoon before the monthly meeting - is for people to have a go on the Guild lathes when there are more experienced turners around to lend a hand with guidance and tips.

I understand there is a special beginners' workshop being planned for November, so get in touch and book yourself in (you can PM me if you're not sure who to contact).

Learning on your own is doing it the hard way, and can waste a lot of time and timber!

QbnDusty
8th October 2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Bigfish.
As has been said curls come from round stock and practice. In my foray into Pen turning I found the roughing gouge was too much for a small diameter piece of wood and used a Spindle gouge instead and it works fine.
Regards

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2008, 11:48 PM
:?

If the roughing gouge is sharp and properly used, there's no reason why it can't be used from start to finish on a pen.

Well... it works fine for me, anyway.

ss_11000
9th October 2008, 01:15 AM
Well... it works fine for me, anyway.

me too:cool:, not saying i like using a roughing gouge from start to finish but i have done it before:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2008, 02:16 AM
Yup. It's the "Oh dear, my skews and all my spindle gouges are blunt and the grinder is waaay over there..." school of turning. :D

ss_11000
9th October 2008, 02:56 AM
Yup. It's the "Oh dear, my skews and all my spindle gouges are blunt and the grinder is waaay over there..." school of turning. :D
:roflmao:...not to mention all the wood and other 'junk' you have to move or step over to get to the grinder:D

bigfish
9th October 2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for their advice so far.

I will attend the Guild turning SIG next Monday and I do intend to do lots of practice.

I am aware though that it is easier to learn good habits than correct bad ones. With that in mind I am a little loath to reinforce any bad technique I may have.

Of course the main factor is patience, but that can be hard sometimes!

Cheers,
Alan