PDA

View Full Version : Packaging for market &/or for posting?

tea lady
8th October 2008, 05:37 PM
What do others use for packaging? I use bubble wrap for my pottery. But does it cause problems with sweating or something with wood. :?

What else do people use. Does anyone make presentation boxes for their turned things? :? Just wondering.;shrug:

Shutterbug
8th October 2008, 05:59 PM
I use bubble wrap for wood products along with heavy duty plastic bags, and haven't had a problem with sweating. Don't leave them in the sun.
I get my packaging materials from this company in Sydney.
http://www.auspackaging.com.au/index.html
There would be someone similar closer to you.

Mike

tea lady
8th October 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Shutter bug. I guess post man doesn't leave them in the sun.:rolleyes:

Was also wondering about presentation boxes. :?

Waldo
8th October 2008, 09:31 PM
G'day Tea Lady,

SWMBO has a roll of packing under the house, about 800mm in diameter and about 300mm wide, it's about 2-3mm think and is excellent for packaging. She used it when selling stuff on eBay, I could ask if she wants it - or just swipe a stack of it for you and bring it to 's on saturday week.

Robomanic
8th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Hi TL,

I have been rolling similar ideas around, and i agree that presentation is important. My current preference is hinged glass top, simple wood box lined with heshen over simple formers. The heshen should help to stabilise moisture too. I have a pair of goblets on the cards that will be packaged up that way.

Ed Reiss
9th October 2008, 12:40 AM
TL...
I used to sell maple herb cutting boards, with an Alaskan Ulu knife, to gift shops. Since there was a knife included, they required a different and safe, type of packaging....shrink wrap.

Never had any complaints of the maple sweating or discoloring.

Texian
9th October 2008, 01:16 AM
TL,
The first layer of wrap should always be acid-free white (not colored) tissue paper. Next a layer of bubble wrap with smooth side inside, bubbles out. Fit snugly into padded (foam or sponge rubber) box. Say a prayer, insure it, and send it. For very high dollar items some folks will place the first box inside a second padded box.

Granted that many folks wrap directly in plastic, but there can be unpleasant interaction between the plastic and the finish on turned wood items.

Gil Jones
9th October 2008, 07:21 AM
I too use a tissue paper wrap over any item with a finish on it, then bubble wrap, those foam peanut thingies, and small air bags if needed.
In the past, I have found that plastic in direct contact with a finish (especially a surface film finish) can leave marks, and blotches that do not come off without a lot of work or refinishing (Sure not worth the trouble, or a piece being returned).
This reaction may have a bit to do with how well cured the finish is, and /or the type of finish, but still not worth the chance anymore.

tea lady
9th October 2008, 09:00 AM
Aaah yes! Quite simple really.:rolleyes: Tissue paper first.:2tsup: Received something recently that had one of those silica jell bads in too. Might start stashing them if I get more. (I put a few in my tool box as well.:cool:)

RufflyRustic
9th October 2008, 09:14 AM
Definitely the tissue paper :yes: I wrap my Leatherbound books with tissue paper and then put them into a postpak. Works well :)

cheers
Wendy

Texian
9th October 2008, 02:03 PM
Been intending to start saving the little silica gel bags and recycle them as needed. Seems like an hour or so in a warm (not hot) oven would render them as good as new, but do not know correct temperature to dry them out. Info probably out there on line.

tea lady
9th October 2008, 03:09 PM
G'day Tea Lady,

SWMBO has a roll of packing under the house, about 800mm in diameter and about 300mm wide, it's about 2-3mm think and is excellent for packaging. She used it when selling stuff on eBay, I could ask if she wants it - or just swipe a stack of it for you and bring it to 's on saturday week.

'salright Waldo, L have packeging for my ppttery. Just wondered if I needed to do something else when paching wood.:cool:

Hi TL,

I have been rolling similar ideas around, and i agree that presentation is important. My current preference is hinged glass top, simple wood box lined with hesien over simple formers. The hesien should help to stabilize moisture too. I have a pair of goblets on the cards that will be packaged up that way.

I've been thinking about wooden boxes for my cups and saucer sets. Just means yet more tools though.:rolleyes: And also whether people would pay the requisite higher price. Will just have to make it look terribly expensive.:cool:

Woodwould
9th October 2008, 04:00 PM
I used to import containers full of expensive Georgian furniture from the UK which was packed by a professional firm in the UK. Finishes, be they new or old, are easily marked by plastic, so as the others have said, paper first, then corrugated paper or bubblewrap followed by non-polystyrene peanuts and if necessary, rolls or corrugated cardboard or air bags to fill out the case or carton.

Sawdust Maker
9th October 2008, 09:52 PM
I keep the tissue paper from SWMBO's shoes (endless supply:o) and wrap in that first - assuming no shoe polish etc :D

tea lady
9th October 2008, 09:59 PM
I keep the tissue paper from SWMBO's shoes (endless supply:o) and wrap in that first - assuming no shoe polish etc :D
Now now! Don't be like that.:rolleyes: But then again, now I have to buy more shoes. Oh dear!:doh::lb::D

woodwork wally
11th October 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi T.L. the tissue and bubble but if you run out of those silicajell satchets you can make your own using a tissue and 5 or 6 moisture retaining crystals that are sold for gardening small quantity makes it economic and NO moisture . Trust that helps Regards WW.Wally

tea lady
11th October 2008, 11:13 PM
Hi T.L. the tissue and bubble but if you run out of those silicajell satchets you can make your own using a tissue and 5 or 6 moisture retaining crystals that are sold for gardening small quantity makes it economic and NO moisture . Trust that helps Regards WW.Wally
Hey! That's a good idea. Thanks.:2tsup: