PDA

View Full Version : Table and stools for the cubby

bpj1968
8th October 2008, 08:33 PM
This a simple tabel and stool I slapped up using scrap bits.

The table legs are an offcut of 125 x 125 cypress post. This was ripped into 4 and planed. I then attached the skirt which is a bit of hardwood skirting board taht was under the house. Nothing fancy basic mitre joints and attached to the legs with a air gun and glue. The top is 2 floor boards I scrounged. may be Jarrah and spotted gum. Glued and "secret" nailed on top of the skirt I then ran the router around the top to make it flush with the skirt. I then hid the ends and sides of the floor boards with a piece of scrap i had lying around. All up took about an hour.

Stool tops was one piece of painted board, which I ran through the thicknesser (before realising what it does to the blades) THe top had a rebate that I cleaned out with a router and filled with an offcut of the spotted gum flooring from the table. The geometric inlay shapes are a bit of garden edging (Jarrah?) whcih I ran through the thicknesser as an experiment. Routed eth hole and cleaned up with a chisel. Once completed ran the whole lot through the thickneser to tidy up. Legs and sides were bits of scrap lying around. Again about an hours work.

A couple of coats of cabots poly and I was suprised with the reuslt.

LiliB
9th October 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Brian
Lovely job, and the price sounds right!!! I think one of the best things about being handy with scraps of wood, is that you can construct custom made and durable things like this for the kids.

Doesn't matter how sophisticated people think their kids are these days, the fact is they still love to work the imagination and cubbies will never go out of style.

LiliB
:U:U:U

crowie
22nd August 2012, 10:53 PM
G'Day Brain,
That's surely one classie upmarket cubby house furniture..
It looks good enough for inside the home.
Well done indeed.
Love the use of your scraps to creat the beautiful patterns on the table top & stool top.
Well made & something that will last the test of time.
Cheers, crowie

Dalboy
23rd August 2012, 12:59 AM
Is Cubby an Australian thing, not heard of it before. Would I be right that it is a play house type thing for the kids:B:B:B:B

By the way good job on the furniture

Christos
23rd August 2012, 10:36 AM
I think it will last a few years. :2tsup:

Interesting use of the off cut piece of wood. :rolleyes:

munruben
26th August 2012, 11:14 PM
Nice, well done. :2tsup::2tsup: