PDA

View Full Version : KS12-K table saw help required please

NeilR
29th March 2004, 09:46 PM
I have a Carbatech KS12-K 12" table saw that I purchased second hand here in tassie. When I took delivery I discovered the trunnion bracket was broken in half and have just purchased a new one. The trunnion bracket guides the motor and saw assembly to 45 deg when tilting the arbor (is this right?). Anyway, I suspect the original reason this cast bracket was broken was because the motor is much larger than the original. The previous owner probably burned out the old motor and had a spare 2hp lying around and used it. Hes adapted (butchered) the motor mount bracket to get it to fit. The motor looks about twice the size as the one in the saw's manual so I suspect this additional weight was too much for the trunnion bracket to handle.
Please put me right if you think my theory is wrong.....
What I would like to know is the specs of the original 2hp motor ie length, diameter, approx weight... the one I have on there now is about 220mm dia and 310mm long (not including the shaft) and approaching 40kg. Also, I need to know the RPM of the correct motor plus the pulley size. A good picture would help too (something more detailed than the manual).
Ofcourse any ideas/advice on how I can get this thing to work reliably and safely would be extremely helpful - short of selling it.
By the way, ive called carbatec and they want 300 plus freight for a new motor.
Appreciate the time you take to read this.
Rgds, Neil R

derekcohen
30th March 2004, 02:27 AM
Neil

I had a look at mine and took a few notes. First, the weight of the thing. To determine this I first weighed myself. Then I weighted myself lifting the tablesaw above my head .... But I couldn't read the numbers on the scale with the tablesaw in the way. I had to put it down. It weighed zero at that point.

My motor is rated 1.5 KW (or 2 HP) and 11 amps, runs at 2850 RPM. It extends 300mm from the tablesaw case (outside measure), is about 310 mm long and has a diameter of about 170 mm.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

NeilR
30th March 2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks Derek. The big difference looks like in the diameter which proves my theory. What about the diameter of the motor pulley. This will help me calculate the correct saw rpm at least. Meanwhile, Ill keep an eye out for another motor.
Appreciate your response - thank you.

rodm
30th March 2004, 10:34 AM
Derek
You will just have to buy yourself a set of talking scales. Every electric motor weigher has a set.

MrFixIt
30th March 2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by derekcohen
Neil

My motor is rated 1.5 KW (or 2 HP) and 11 amps, runs at 2850 RPM.

Hi Derek

Are you sure about that 11amps? That means your saw is closer to 3.5hp (2.750kw).

Regards

Peter

derekcohen
30th March 2004, 09:05 PM
Peter

Are you sure? Most things electrical are still The Black Art to me, but I thought 11 amps was very average. Anyway, it says 11 amps on the motor's cover (on a plate similar to a motor car's).

Regards from Perth

Derek

gatiep
30th March 2004, 09:23 PM
There are different ways of rating a motor. Output 750 watts = 1 hp give or take a few milli horses. The rating you have is the input power at 11 amps. That really means that the motor can draw anything up to 11 amps power when running. Doesn't sound very efficient...........that is pretty standard for the chinese motors.

The 2 hp dust collectors have a rating of 7.7 amps (1848 Watts) , but in standard form the average current draw that I got on measuring was 3.8 amps (912 W ) ( with a double 100 mm inlet ) and with the same blower, but in my Bill Pentz design cage 5.8 Amps (1392 Watts ) with a 150 mm inlet.

These ratings on 'modern' motors are very 'black magic' I would say

Cya
Joe

MrFixIt
30th March 2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by derekcohen

Are you sure? Most things electrical are still The Black Art to me, but I thought 11 amps was very average. Anyway, it says 11 amps on the motor's cover (on a plate similar to a motor car's).

Hi Derek

Well not allowing for the myriad losses ie friction, heat etc. Being a _12"_ TS I would expect it to have a motor of around 3hp. It does take a lot of power to chew through 4" of Jarrah when ripping.

My 10" TS has a 1.5hp motor and draws (well rated at) 5.5amps. It is reasonably logical to transpose those values and you come up with approx 3hp :-)

Regards

Peter

derekcohen
31st March 2004, 02:42 AM
Peter

Here is the Motor ID and specifications. It is made in Taiwan (probably same assembly line as Jet, Delta and a few others). I purchased the tablesaw (and dedicated sliding table) new from Woodstock (now Carba-tec) 7 years ago.

I would be surprised if it was 3 HP. While it is powerful enough to cut through 4" thick jarrah (and I do this fairly often), it will bog down if I feed the timber too fast.

Regards from Perth

Derek