PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from Brisbane

blocka
9th October 2008, 02:22 PM
G'day All, New to the site and thoroughly enjoying the content.:2tsup:.
Looking forward to asking all the dumb questions that only a newby could ask, so look out!!:oo:. Currently working on a rather mundane internal stairwell handrail. I found some timber (Rosewood) in 1.5m lenghts and since I needed 4m overall I joined them up using 1/2 lap joints. Filled the grain with 5min epoxy, sanded back to 400 grit and now in the process of French Polishing. Must say that the finish is starting to look a treat. This is the first attempt a French Polishing and its time consuming for sure, but the finish is superb.
Cheers
Blocka

Dean
9th October 2008, 10:07 PM
Welcome :)

What part of town? North or South? A few brisbanites here.

Sounds liek you are making good progress on the rail already! :2tsup:

munruben
9th October 2008, 10:42 PM
Welcome blocka, hey we might be neighbours.:)

blocka
10th October 2008, 09:44 AM
Would that be Munrubin Woods, if so you are not too far away from my suburb of Collingwood Park.
Cheers
Blocka

blocka
10th October 2008, 09:53 AM
The progress has been rather interesting and was only undertaken because the handrail is just a flat lump of wood bullnosed top and bottom. Width of the staircase restricted the amount of standoff from the wall. I decided on the French Polish to add a little panache to an otherwise bland piece. Toying with the idea of useing brass plugs instead of wooden plugs for the screw holes, might look okay.
Thanks for the Welcome from both of you.:2tsup:
cheers
Blocka

Ed Reiss
10th October 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Blocka...and welcome!:2tsup:

No dumb questions here....just some dumb answers (like this one for instance!!:doh:)

Have fun with the forums...some really good folk here!

blocka
10th October 2008, 04:03 PM
Mate thats not a dumb reply, that's a friendly one and much appreciated. :2tsup:
cheers
blocka

munruben
10th October 2008, 05:15 PM
Would that be Munrubin Woods, if so you are not too far away from my suburb of Collingwood Park.
Cheers
BlockaSpot on , Munruben woods it is. We are neighbours.:)

billym
10th October 2008, 05:25 PM
Gday blocka: sounds like you are having fun...You wont be sorry yu joined as most of these saw dust eaters give good advise.welcome

madnick
10th October 2008, 06:01 PM
hi from kingston just brought my first lathe want to have fun but dont know where to get timber from can any one help please. It would be a great help for a first time turner. thanx:aussie5:

blocka
10th October 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for welcome Guys.
Billy M : I am always ready to listen to sound advice mate, been listening for the last 39yrs of my married life LOL!

Madnick: Sounds like you are having the same problems as me. Try some of the Op shops like the Salvo's furniture places. You never know what timber is lurking under coats of paint. Go for drives and visit country saw mills. Use to be one in Fernvale but its gone now. Best of luck not really much help.

Cheers
blocka

uncannyxman
10th October 2008, 11:31 PM
Hi Blocka, a newbie here myself. For all Brisbane area members -
Enrights Sawmill 144 Brisbane Street BEAUDESERT QLD 4285 Ph. 07 55411077

I used to drive/ride past it all the time. I have not bought any wood from them, nor am i connected to them in any way.
Cheers,

madnick
13th October 2008, 06:01 PM
thanks for the pointers blocka found alot of timber yards are closed down only the big ones r still there