PDA

View Full Version : Dust/shaving extraction

Rubber.Piggy
9th October 2008, 05:21 PM
I wear a dust mask and have a Microclene to take the dusk out of the air, but I still have the have the heavy dusk and shavings to clean up afterwards.

I've seen nice ways to pull the dust and shavings straight of the tool site but they use a large 3 phase extractor. Anyone got any systems set up with small portable extractors or otherwise that work effectively?

Robomanic
9th October 2008, 08:03 PM
Beating my own drum - but have a look at this

http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=79566

It has not left my lathe since I first put it on, and I am still very happy with it. It even got an upgrade to Gaffa tape :) It would do with some extra guides to make it more suited to faceplate or spindle work but as it is it's not a bad compromise. Some chip streams do escape but everything fine gets sucked down. I have not worn a dust mask since I put it on.

OGYT
10th October 2008, 04:41 AM
And a nice rig it is, Robomanic!! Still have that on my todo list.
I haven't seen one that looks more efficient.

steck
10th October 2008, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I use a cheap commercial plastic Chute which rest on the edge of my lathe like this picture. It takes all the fine dust and most of the big stuff too.
I also have a pleated filter cartridge on top of my dust extractor which keeps the air nice and clean. I wish I had bought a dust extractor 30 years ago - no more gross boogers and no more sneezing whenever i make dust!

Robomanic
10th October 2008, 03:13 PM
I haven't seen one that looks more efficient.

Lazy people find efficient ways to do things :U

Ed Reiss
10th October 2008, 11:51 PM
Hi,
I use a cheap commercial plastic Chute which rest on the edge of my lathe like this picture.

Uhhhh...doesn't seem to be any room for the tool rest with the chute sitting in the ways:doh: lol

steck
11th October 2008, 03:27 PM
Uhhhh...doesn't seem to be any room for the tool rest with the chute sitting in the ways:doh: lol

Okay! You got me there - I do use a tool rest! I am not just turning bowls freehand! LOL:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
11th October 2008, 10:46 PM
Okay! You got me there - I do use a tool rest! I am not just turning bowls freehand! LOL:2tsup:

That would be quite a feat if you could!!:o

BTW...nice looking burl in the pic. Do you have a pic of it done?

woodwork wally
11th October 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi check out the various cyclones in the home made tools section There are 2 that are good:D and the thing about them is that they are inexpensive:):) and use the cheapest form of extraction [A small GMC fan setup] but with a cyclone the dust goes into the bottom bin and doesn't get to rise again:2tsup::2tsup: Similar to the Donaldson air cleaners made for Trucks in dusty sandy environment cheers WW.Wally

steck
12th October 2008, 08:09 AM
That would be quite a feat if you could!!:o

BTW...nice looking burl in the pic. Do you have a pic of it done?

Apologies for getting off topic here:roll:
I haven't finished the piece yet. It is bit a green birdseye maple that my brother picked up for me from a nature strip. I am going to let it dry out in the shape you saw and then get the wire bush on the lip and carve some of the extra.:roll:

Robomanic
12th October 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi check out the various cyclones in the home made tools section There are 2 that are good:D and the thing about them is that they are inexpensive:):) and use the cheapest form of extraction [A small GMC fan setup] but with a cyclone the dust goes into the bottom bin and doesn't get to rise again:2tsup::2tsup: Similar to the Donaldson air cleaners made for Trucks in dusty sandy environment cheers WW.Wally

I second that. Even a full blown DC will benefit from a cyclone in front. I am often picking out sandpaper and small offcuts from the grill on mine, and they would just get caught in the cyclone. Cyclones cope better with long curlies too

Rubber.Piggy
12th October 2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys.