PDA

View Full Version : red gum

texx
9th October 2008, 09:14 PM
just like to ask you guys what is old river red gum like to turn .
i mean stuff thats been down for years just laying out in the weather where it fell .
is it worth cutting some chunks to take back to the lathe or best to leave it where it lays on the river bank.
i am asking cos there is tons of it on the farm that i work on and i have never turned any of the local timbers out here where i live now cos i have done no turning out here at all since i left brisbane.

DJ’s Timber
9th October 2008, 09:27 PM
Definitely worth it :yes:

Here's one I did from a log that had been down for a very long time, at least 15 or more years.

RETIRED
9th October 2008, 09:50 PM
Did you use water or spirit based dye on the turned fruit. Very realistic.:D:wink:

Texx, have been wondering whether or not it was USA or Qld.

texx
9th October 2008, 09:55 PM
the most southerly town in queensland

woodwork wally
9th October 2008, 10:51 PM
BLUDDDY BEAUTIFULL:2tsup::2tsup::D:):2tsup:
Regards WW.Wally:wave:

Tornatus
9th October 2008, 10:58 PM
G'day Tex

Redgum - River or otherwise - is the most under-rated timber in Australia, as most people seem to think it is just rough junk wood. Admittedly, it can be hard to turn, and our local endemic species in the ACT, Blakely's Redgum, is often full of gum veins and grub holes, but the colour and figure of the finished product is superb, and a good oil finish makes it glow.

And then there's Ancient Redgum, from trees buried in bogs for thousands of years, black as ebony, but with deep red undertones - magical.

Make the most of your opportunity and collect as many good pieces as you can - just be prepared to do a fair bit of sharpening as you turn.

rsser
10th October 2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah, agree, good turning timber.

Tends to move a bit even when dry. Can be dusty. It irrits my noz a bit but it's worth it. Will usually sand and finish well.