PDA

View Full Version : recession now over

jow104
10th October 2008, 12:32 AM
recession now over, I have purchased a couple of turning chisels larger size and the money I paid the banks now have a lot of my cash flowing through their system.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/2008_1007chiselsnew0002w.jpg

So now I am waiting for a dry spell and I will fit my lathe up on the B&D workmate outside in the yard and have a go on some baytree logs I have acquired

RETIRED
10th October 2008, 07:02 AM
Nearly up to my size of tools John.:D

Manuka Jock
10th October 2008, 07:13 AM
Good sized roughie gouge ya got there John ,
you gonna be turning caber for the next highland games mate :p

Pat
10th October 2008, 07:38 AM
Is it a bit wet there, in the old dart, John?????

Good size toys :)

m2c1Iw
10th October 2008, 07:48 AM
Yes we just got the breaking news here that the Chansellor of the Exchequor has breathed a sigh of relief.:D Nice

Mike

bowl-basher
10th October 2008, 08:34 AM
Don't know about your new gouges but I know your econ. got a heap of my money last week 2-1/2 quid a pint of warm beer maks a man glad to be back in Aust.
regards
Bowl-basher

jow104
10th October 2008, 05:35 PM
I'm a little bit concerned that the handle on the gouge is a bit short?

It wont reach my hip, do you think I could extend with a bit of piping?

Manuka Jock
10th October 2008, 06:17 PM
John , this is where you can have fun :) estimating how long you want the handle , and turning one ... or two until you get what you want .
It also gives you a chance to test run the gouge itself .

Toolin Around
10th October 2008, 06:29 PM
Depends how you hold it.

For big work where the tool is over the rest a long way I hold it with my hands up by the ferrel and tool rest, then let my elbow absord the forces exerted at the end of the handle. The gouge isn't level but the handle isn't much lower than the tip of the tool usually with this type of grip.

For small work where the tool isn't hanging much off the rest there isn't much upward force on the handle to throw your hand around so you can have your hand on the end of the handle tucked up against your side. Even with this grip I don't drop the handle much. Roughing gouges shouldn't be used like a spindle or bowl gouge under most circumstances by dropping the handle a lot.

funkychicken
10th October 2008, 06:56 PM
Wowser, :oo:

I don't recommend recommend sticking your lathe on a rickety stand and turning out of round logs on it. Just keep you lathe indoors bolted down to a solid bench.

As for handles I say longer is better. I have 20" handles on my chisels:D

Manuka Jock
10th October 2008, 07:16 PM
Good point FunkyC , I missed that bit .
John , yep make a stand .
You could bolt the lathe to your bench , in the short term .
It looks stronger than a wee folding B&D workmate could ever be

Toolin Around
10th October 2008, 08:47 PM
Wowser, :oo:

I don't recommend recommend sticking your lathe on a rickety stand and turning out of round logs on it. Just keep you lathe indoors bolted down to a solid bench.

As for handles I say longer is better. I have 20" handles on my chisels:D

I suspect that a log in the UK is something around 6" in diameter - could be wrong....

Ed Reiss
10th October 2008, 11:45 PM
I suspect that a log in the UK is something around 6" in diameter - could be wrong....

Is cutting wood in the UK even allowed?:?:o