PDA

View Full Version : Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Set

Rattrap
11th October 2008, 09:24 AM
I just received an email from fine woodworking/ taunton store for a set of books & DVD, i'm sure some of u got the same offer.

"Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Set New! Commemorative Limited-Edition Tage Frid Set Plus Bonus DVD

Tage Frid Hardcover Set with DVD $89.95"

Very tempting but i'd like to know what others think. I'm still new to woodworking & this sort of thing could be quite useful.

TomH
11th October 2008, 09:35 AM
I haven't got a copy (despite numerous christmas requests - they are hard to find...), but from all accounts this is one of the best woodworking books.

jmk89
11th October 2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, go for it. Lot's of interesting stuff in that set and at $30 a book, it is a steal.

Pat
11th October 2008, 11:08 AM
Got the set, it is a good set of books. Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Tage-Frid-Teaches-Woodworking/dp/1561588261/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223683778&sr=8-1) has the normal set for US$56.67 . . .

Rattrap
11th October 2008, 04:12 PM
ordered via amazon. Taunton wanted $43 for postage & handling - i don't think so!

Rattrap
15th October 2008, 09:28 PM
Ok, new email, new fine woodworking offer that i'm finding hard to resist. if they don't stop sending me tempting emails i'm gonna go broke. lol.
This time its the first 201 issues of fine woodworking all on DVD for $150.00 (US booo!)
I quite like the fine woodworking mag & often buy a copy & this sounds very tempting.
I'd love to hear peoples opinions on this offer before i dive in.

Mr Brush
20th November 2008, 12:52 PM
IMHO Fine Woodworking (in common with many organisations in the US of A) don't really understand any countries outside the 12 mile limit....I've found them pretty hopeless at actually getting stuff here in a timely manner.

Rather than a subscription to the paper magazine (or buying individual copies here at exhorbitant prices...) I ended up with a subscription to their website instead. This costs US$5 per month, and gives you unlimited access to all articles, reviews, etc. going back to the year dot. I've found it surprisingly useful - you can even save any particularly good pdf articles to your PC for future reference. Lots of good stuff on design, techniques, and so on.

A very good resource, and available online for less than the cost of the magazine itself.....plus, you don't have to explain to them where Australia is, that we have our own currency, etc. :C

Big Shed
20th November 2008, 01:14 PM
Likewise Mr Brush, very good value for money that web subscription.

Over the last year or so I downloaded every article back to the year dot, quite a library.

You get immediate access to the latest issue and can download all the articles immediately. There are alos lots of videos, but I haven't worked out a way to download those yet (unlike Youtube):(

Mr Brush
20th November 2008, 01:26 PM
I know what you mean - I have many folders of pdfs from their site, but none of my video retrieving things work on the site either :(

Looking at the URL that appears when you are watching a video, its doesn't look like the usual YouTube methods will work.

Never mind - the site is well worth the $$$, and you get to 'store' just the stuff you want on your PC instead of that huge dusty pile of paper magazines :2tsup:

Rattrap
20th November 2008, 04:56 PM
A friend of mine also has the web subs, i regularly spend a bit of time cruising the site when i visit. I ended up buying the Tage Frid set but from amazon, its was a little cheaper & the postage was half the price.
I think i'll ask for a yearly web sub to fine woodworking for xmas. lol