PDA

View Full Version : DNA Bath

stevew
12th October 2008, 07:12 AM
Have been reading about this DNA bath...What is it and what does it do.
Could someone let me know how to set one up,what ingredients do I put in it??
When I prepare the blanks do I just put them in or do I rough turn the bowl first before dropping in,how long to leave in,what do I do when I pull it from the bath.
All hints ,tips and advice greatly appreciatde as I am a rank amateur at this caper.Cheers.
Steve

Grumpy John
12th October 2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Steve,
DNA is De-Natured Alcohol, in Australia we call it Methylated Spirits. At about $60 for a 20Ltr. drum it's not exactly cheap, but you can re-use it.
Here is an article you might find interesting. http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_473.shtml

Cheers
GJ

steck
12th October 2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Steve,
I have been experimenting with Metho for a while and it is mostly successful.
I found a local Paint Store had metho for about $40 for 20 litres, I had been quoted $75 elsewhere.
The site Grumpy John referred you to has all the info you need.

Good luck with it

Grumpy John
12th October 2008, 10:48 PM
Steck,
Do you wrap the bowls in brown (or any) paper to dry?

Cheers
GJ

steck
13th October 2008, 07:40 AM
Steck,
Do you wrap the bowls in brown (or any) paper to dry?

Cheers
GJ

Hi,
I do wrap the bowls in paper to dry. It does slow down the drying process and reduce cracking. I tried a couple without the paper and they cracked very quickly.
I just dry the roughed out bowls but I have been reading about brave souls who turn very thin, finished, pieces and dry those. I am keen to give it a go!
I first read somewhere that you should leave it in for 3 weeks so that is what I have been doing but everyone seems to leave the wood in the Metho for much shorter times. Perhaps I misread the article?

Grumpy John
13th October 2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Steck,
My interpretation was that you leave it in the metho ~12 hours and shelf dry for 3 - 4 weeks. :?

Cheers GJ

steck
13th October 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Steck,
My interpretation was that you leave it in the metho ~12 hours and shelf dry for 3 - 4 weeks. :?

Cheers GJ

I think you are right! Doh!:oo: However, 3 weeks does work! LOL

hughie
13th October 2008, 12:42 PM
Steck if you do a search for DNA and or meths, drying and or seasoning timber.
You will probably find a great deal of info as the topic has been canvassed several times on this forum. :2tsup:

Gil Jones
13th October 2008, 02:53 PM
Steve,
The DNA will leach out some of the color of darker woods, and thus become a colored liquid (mild dye) as opposed to the clear that is started. After soaking Black Cherry for two days, the DNA was a translucent reddish brown color. Then I soaked a Magnolia bowl, and worried that it might dye that very light colored wood a Cherry color. Well, the Magnolia bowl came out of the DNA about the color of Cherry with a brown cast to it. The good news is that after it dried for a several weeks, I chucked it up, and found that the Cherry color was only about 1mm deep, so not a problem.
To use less DNA, I put the turned wood piece in a heavy duty plastic bag, pour in the DNA, get out nearly all the air, double twist the bag closed and put a twisty on it. I still put it in a container in case the bag breaks (but never had that happen yet). I think there is hardly any loss of DNA to evaporation this way, and it takes less DNA to cover the wood in a bag.
Don't let the DNA get near the grinder.