PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl turning

jow104
16th October 2008, 01:54 AM
Turned a bowl using a piece of baytree log I obtained from my neighbours garden a couple of weeks ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/7w-6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/8w-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/9w-6.jpg

I have resealed the turning with pva glue and will put away for how many months?

I most probably will not turn another bowl until I have a turning shed, the shaving mess turning the above bowl was beyond my acceptance for a happy enviroment. It looked like the workshop had been filled with egg noodles.

So the next time I see one of those £99 sheds at Focus 6x4 I will most probably purchase and put my turning gear in there.

David H
16th October 2008, 06:24 AM
John
Not bad for 1st turning. It looks quite smooth from pic or is that the gloss of the PVA glue sealer you used?:2tsup:
Don't let a little dust stop you.
Reminds me of a previous post about how clean your shed was - I once went into an Australian shed and the screwdriver was searched for under a foot of sawdust.
I went into another and it was like an hospital operation theatre
I have been in over a dozen Australian sheds, and I could happily live in them all.
Don't like dust either but don't let that stop me from getting in there.
Still like your posts on the boxes you make so don't give up on the boxes either
Regards
David H

Ed Reiss
16th October 2008, 06:32 AM
Oh yea.....that first turned bowl may not be the greatest in the world, but it will always be the favorite!!:2tsup:

2 to 3 months should be sufficent drying time.

Ad de Crom
16th October 2008, 06:50 AM
John, looks good for the first try.
Put it in a paper bag for a couple of month, and store it in your attic or somewhere else into the house.
A workshop which looks clean is not a workshop.:D
Ad

OGYT
16th October 2008, 09:57 AM
C'mon... what happened to all you Aussies? When I had a clean shop you gave me fits!! :D
Nice roughout, Woody. You'll be proud of it when it's finished. Let 'er dry 'til you can kiss it without gettin' cold lips. :) (Works, when you don't have a moisture meter or scales.)
With a name like Woody, you need a bunch of shavings around. :D Cheers,

jow104
16th October 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging replies, (the wife would have tripped over the shavings on the way to the freezer if she had come in earlier.:) )

Manuka Jock
16th October 2008, 05:48 PM
Shift the freezer John :D

jow104
16th October 2008, 05:55 PM
its bloody full:D

wheelinround
16th October 2008, 06:17 PM
John nicely done looks like a little spalting in that

Let it sit...........nah Microwave time :2tsup:

jow104
16th October 2008, 06:56 PM
BTW I turned it the wrong way round? :B
The bark is at the foot of the plate.
Or is that OK to have either face used?
I'm a real beginner.

If you have 90 minutes I liked this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozh6_WCAuQA

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2008, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about it John, most turners simply orient the blank so the final bowl will display the grain to it's best advantage.

So long as the heartwood was cut out, it'll probably be fine. :2tsup:

jow104
16th October 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks Skew, thats another bit of turning knowledge

joe greiner
16th October 2008, 09:23 PM
The way you mounted it is the "normal" way. Bark on the rim is usually used for Natural Edge, where the top undulates around the periphery, although a flat top with the bark removed also works. NE can be awkward to finish the bottom. Save that for later. Whatever floats your boat, design-wise.

Joe

powderpost
16th October 2008, 09:55 PM
John, There are a lot of factors that influence how long it takes to dry. From practical experience, I weigh the rough turned bowl and put it into a box or bag (not a plastic bag) filled with sawdust or shavings off the floor. Weigh it regularly about monthly, and when there is negligible weight loss, finish it off.
Jim