PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc or Woodfast

comgreserv
16th October 2008, 04:15 AM
Hi all!
My 1st post having only signed up a few moments ago after stumpling ove this awesome site!
I'm chasing a second hand lathe, of above make, in reasonable condition if anyone knows of anyone who isnt able to use their old treasure any more.I'm not looking for charity and more than willing to pay a fair price.
It will be going to a good home as I'm a cabinetmaker by trade and now own a tree lopping business, so it will be given plenty of wood to keep it happy.
Ps I have a Lucas mill contracting service as part of my tree business if it happens to interest anyone.
Many thanks:2tsup:

Sprog
16th October 2008, 01:54 PM
Check out your local wooturning group, often there are bargains to be picked up.

http://www.woodturnerswa.com/groups.html

rsser
16th October 2008, 04:09 PM
Welcome comgreserv.

Keep an eye out on ebay too; older models of both makes sometimes crop up.

You need to be clear about your requirements though; eg, variable speed, swivel head or not, bed length. Both brands were good gear and for a while old Woodfasts were being disposed of by schools. The new VMs are still excellent lathes; can't speak for WF. (I have one of their band-saws and am underwhelmed by it.)

It's hard though to get newer models second hand. Lathe owners seem to prefer to die in harness ;-}

comgreserv
17th October 2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks guys for your quick responses!

I grew up,so to speak,on an old Tough lathe with only 3 speed, so I don't know that I'm missing out on anything haven not been exposed to variable speed machines. haha!

Plus the price difference between variable speed machines with cabinet, and bare 3 speed Vicmarc lathes is amazing. But you are quite right rsser, the Vicmarc is sexy machine and the only one aussie built, am I right in thinking?

Grumpy John
17th October 2008, 06:07 AM
.......... But you are quite right rsser, the Vicmarc is sexy machine and the only one aussie built, am I right in thinking?

Welcome to the madhouse, I hope you've read a lot of the posts so that you are fully aware you are about to become another woodturning addict :D. In answer to your last statement there is another excellent lathe made in Australia, the Stubby follow the link for more information

http://www.omegastubbylathes.com/Contact_Usx.html

Cheers
GJ

hughie
17th October 2008, 11:49 AM
Comgreserv

As Ern mentioned you need to sort out what exactly will fit your needs and that boils down to what you have in mind to turn. Bowls, spindles or perhaps pens.

Both lathes are good :2tsup: But look around, there are others.. ie the Stubby or perhaps the Leady lathe.

At the end of the day the budget will have the last say I fear.... thats life :U

A Lucas mill, well one things for sure turning timber will never be an issue for you.

Jarrahrules
17th October 2008, 09:09 PM
Hi all!
My 1st post having only signed up a few moments ago after stumpling ove this awesome site!
I'm chasing a second hand lathe, of above make, in reasonable condition if anyone knows of anyone who isnt able to use their old treasure any more.I'm not looking for charity and more than willing to pay a fair price.
It will be going to a good home as I'm a cabinetmaker by trade and now own a tree lopping business, so it will be given plenty of wood to keep it happy.
Ps I have a Lucas mill contracting service as part of my tree business if it happens to interest anyone.
Many thanks:2tsup:

Hi
I have a VL200 six speed which i could do for $2000 including freight to Perth I Ithink.
Regards
JAMC