PDA

View Full Version : Publishing Books

Boatmik
18th October 2008, 08:52 AM
Well, you may have all noticed that Storer is being a bit quiet at the moment.

I have been busy working with a publisher to look at the feasibility of producing books of my plans. At the moment I spend a lot of time running off photocopies, collating, putting in covers and sending to my agents.

It looks like I can publish and save much of the time involved and potential sales volume may offset the higher production cost.

We did have a look at doing a proper "book" for the Goat Island Skiff ... but I eventually decided that a simpler first step is to do the plan for the PDRacer (http://www.pdracer.info). Even so it has been a mammoth job soaking up a huge amount of time at this stage.

But it is all in and submitted. Once the pressure goes away I will be quite happy about it I think!

I hope to get the proof copy in the next week or so to see how it looks.

The attachment is the back cover (lowres) - I will probably go with a spiral binding despite transportation risks as it makes it easier to hold it open at any page nice and flat without it closing on you.

Best wishes
Michael

arbordg
18th October 2008, 12:10 PM
Mik,

Very Cool.

Daddles
18th October 2008, 02:39 PM
Onya Mik.

I agree with the spiral binding - it has all sorts of drawbacks but makes the book very easy to work with because, as you say, it lies flat and stays open when you put it down.

Modern POD publishing makes the whole thing much more accessible doesn't it.

Richard

Theodor
18th October 2008, 07:43 PM
If you go to publishing, make sure you put a title and your name on the cover.

More seriously, please make sure you get someone to professionally edit the work. Maybe even ask a graphic designer to layout everything and draw professional pictures. Knowing that the current plans still have photos of the "upside down rudderbox", I think you need to plan for some serious updating and investment of time and money to get a product that will be worth the price for numerous decades.

Since you have a name for great boats from easy to reproduce plans, I would really encourage getting everything into a book. I know I'd probably buy one.

Mark

Master Splinter
18th October 2008, 09:43 PM
Going for wiro-bound (the metal spiral binding not the plastic stuff) gives you a lot of flexibility with the interior layout, too - you can add the occasional colour page where needed,or add silly things like gatefold pages where a larger version of a plan might explain things better.

If you are going for a limited run, don't make the run too limited - if it's traditional offset printing rather than print-on-demand, remember that it's often cheaper to throw out 500 books (that have a run-on cost of $2 each) than go back and pay $10k in setup costs to print it again if you need an extra 200 copies.

Unless you are looking at some sort of deal with a distribution network in place for your product, I'd suggest going straight to a printer with the job - a publisher is just added overhead. (you can get an ISBN number from the local agency for under $100, and that's all you'd really need from a publisher if they dont offer promotion and distribution of your book).

CCBB
18th October 2008, 11:03 PM
Mik, I hope it all comes together well! Exciting stuff.

There is something that a lot of boatbuilders miss when they put together books and maybe you have an observation on the matter: most amatuer builders aren't armchair builders anymore, they are "keyboard builders", if you will. I have an interest, if it has some money making potential, to put together CD-ROMs for builders, more interactive "texts" that can possibly include "choose your own adventure" tabs. For example, when they get to fiberglassing, there are a few routes they can take depending on how much time/$/interest they have...one route might be sheathing the whole bottom, another could be taping, and it could show a couple methods to choose from so that the whole thing can be flexible and more customized for the user. It'd be a lot of work to put together and require programmer type people I would imagine.

If I have students building Storer boats, your books would be a great resource to include reading into the curriculum.

Cheers,
Clint

Boatmik
18th October 2008, 11:29 PM
If you go to publishing, make sure you put a title and your name on the cover.

More seriously, please make sure you get someone to professionally edit the work. Maybe even ask a graphic designer to layout everything and draw professional pictures. Knowing that the current plans still have photos of the "upside down rudderbox", I think you need to plan for some serious updating and investment of time and money to get a product that will be worth the price for numerous decades.

Since you have a name for great boats from easy to reproduce plans, I would really encourage getting everything into a book. I know I'd probably buy one.

Mark

Howdy Mark,

I really don't have any pics of the correctly built rudderbox (just had a fish through all my more recent pics) and the existing plans are explicit that the pics are wrong and tell the builder exactly what the correct method is.

There were a couple of other minor updates I did with this update. Also printing is much less set in concrete than previously. Updates are almost as easy as the self printing.

Thanks and best wishes

Michael

Theodor
19th October 2008, 04:36 AM
Well the epoxy gluing my handle to the rudderbox is probably set now and Peter has probably already taken all the clamps off. I'll make sure I take a pic for you. I thought I might extensively document our PDR builds with lots of photos, but I just haven't had time to do it. Its taken me nearly two months of one afternoon a fortnight to finish off the rudderbox, glue the centreboard and rudder, thickness the boom and yard, as well as mark up one internet side of the mast. Too much other work.

On the other hand, Peter has moved onto preparing the centrecase as everything else is at the epoxy coating stage.

If you need some specific photos let us know.

Cheers,
Mark

Boatmik
19th October 2008, 10:42 AM
Howdy Theodor .... if you pose the rudderbox to replace a couple of the pics in the plan that would be beyond excellent.

Um ... thinking of what else might be good .... the rudderbox was the main sticky point. Maybe a couple of pics of sailmaking procedure ... just to give a feeling of some of the detail. Maybe a close up of a reinforcing patch about to go down and a close up of stitching using a sewing machine.

The latest plans Version 1.4i have the cockpit bulkhead moved forward 20mm and the other changes that this makes necessary. The foredeck was a bit scant/short so some had to be filled.

The only changes that means for earlier plan versions are ..
1/ move the mast bulkhead forward 20mm.
2/ make the side decks longer by at least 20mm longer at the back end
3/ take 20mm off the back end of the mast partner and mast step.

Best wishes
Michael

Cliff Rogers
19th October 2008, 11:19 AM
I want a copy. :2tsup:

m2c1Iw
19th October 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Mik,
Finished fitting up my rudder today so had to show somebody. No copyright on the pics if you want to use them:D

Mike

Theodor
19th October 2008, 11:03 PM
Howdy Theodor .... if you pose the rudderbox to replace a couple of the pics in the plan that would be beyond excellent.

Um ... thinking of what else might be good .... the rudderbox was the main sticky point. Maybe a couple of pics of sailmaking procedure ... just to give a feeling of some of the detail. Maybe a close up of a reinforcing patch about to go down and a close up of stitching using a sewing machine.

Hmm .. I suppose Peter and I could make our sails, even though its getting pretty cold outside these days. Peter is doing the standard 3 sided job and I'll be doing the lug, so if we get around to doing this soon, we'll take lots of pics for you.

I'm off to Venice and surrounding area for 4 days, so it'll probably take us a few weeks to get our acts together. No doubt Peter is reading this and already on top of it! So consider the pics to be in the mail before mid-November. No doubt others will get their pics to you soon as well (e.g. Mike) - read: "nudge nudge wink wink, boys".

Cheers,
Mark

outofthenorm
20th October 2008, 03:20 AM
Great idea Mik - it worked wonders for Bolger and Benford. I'm looking forward to it.

- Norm

jboats
21st October 2008, 06:14 AM
MIK,

While building the GIS I have often thought how great a book would be to go along with the text and drawings - mainly for the purposes of a little more how-to and pictures for first timers like myself. I like the idea of spiral bond for ease of use while build - also I would suggest fold out 11x 17 drawings if possible.

Good luck!
Jamie

Boatmik
21st October 2008, 08:14 AM
Howdy Jamie,

That, sadly, is something that is quite difficult in this mass produced world. I will be adding a note to suggest that builders can blow them up on a photocopier ... Also the quality of the drawings will be better I expect ... I have worked a bit harder to get the lines smoother and the printing will be better.

I hope it is good when the proof copy for the PDR arrives.

With the PDR ... because it is a cheap plan ... I will go with B&W. But probably the more expensive plans will be in colour. We will see!

Best wishes
Michael

nickpullen
24th October 2008, 01:33 PM
MIK< I reckon the GIS goat logo from the RAID41 name thread would look so cool on the cover of your books.... and same for the PD Racers, the yellow duck... Maybe even include one of those cool hull number stickers, from cafexpress, with the book...

Theodor
25th October 2008, 04:36 AM
Oh .. I kept meaning to ask, Mik, why you don't publish 3-4 designs in one book? Toss a good and commonly sought after plan like a PDR or GIS into a book, then toss in a couple of other designs which don't sell so regularly. I was thinking that people might see a few more of your designs, feel they are getting more for their buck, etc. Of course you could put all your free plans in each book for more bulk. Ta-da!

Mark

Boatmik
25th October 2008, 08:20 AM
Howdy Nick,

It is a good point I think. At this stage I will just get the plans out ... at least after I have "knocked over" the RAID41.

Will see how it goes with the first couple ... the PDR and the Goat.

Just got the proof for the PDR ... quality is quite OK ... but glad I got a proof .. there are images moved to the bottoms of the pages etc. Right to the edge.

Fix that and then see.

Will be doing the PDRacer plan in Black and White ... hard to reflect the cheap price of the PDF file download. Target price is about $40 plus post.

With the Goat or whatever I decide on ... I will do it in colour to reflect a bit of quality as it will have to be at a higher price.

These are not really a mass market book.

If they go well, I will do a mass market book with many of my groundbreaking (haha) articles on design and building in the one place. Sort of a do it yourself manual on improving your existing boat or as a guide to the many people dabbling in design themselves.

VERY tempting to put a plan in that book.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
27th October 2008, 01:26 AM
If they go well, I will do a mass market book with many of my groundbreaking (haha) articles on design and building in the one place. Sort of a do it yourself manual on improving your existing boat or as a guide to the many people dabbling in design themselves.

VERY tempting to put a plan in that book.

MIK

Something akin to Bolger's books perhaps ?
"Lazy Boat-Building and Other Go-Fast Short Cuts"
Intersperse 'how-to' articles with stories on several boat's philosophy & origin /
development, each accompanied by a much reduced study plan (which doesn't
contain quite enough info to build from unless one were prepared & knowledgeable
enough to reverse engineer & figure things out as one went along).
Could even throw in a few articles on Antipodean boat design & development with old
pics of 505s & Moths & 18 footers & etc.

Boatmik
27th October 2008, 07:48 AM
Geez AJ ... add a bit of mythbusting .. and you can write it for me!!! You are right on the money!

The only area you missed was wanting to take on some myths that are perpetuated around the net about boat design.

Real focus on the OZ wooden boat tradition too.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
28th October 2008, 04:59 AM
Wellll..... Hop to it lad !! :D

Boatmik
28th October 2008, 07:59 AM
Maybe next year!

MIK

keyhavenpotter
29th October 2008, 10:56 PM
MIK, for the UK,

your agent will supply the books which most builders would buy. Do the books include the plans, I think they are a book of plans and tips?

Electronic plan will also be available, direct from you or just your UK agent?

Just no quite clear, Brian

Boatmik
30th October 2008, 09:23 AM
Neither am I Brian ... that is part of the problem!

I am expecting the Agent will still sell mostly PDF files, but there will be some customers that will pay the agent for a book version of the same thing.

The main reason at the moment is to see how many people are resistant to buying PDF files. If it is a lot ... I will do more than the orginal plan of translating the PDRacer and the GIS across to this medium.

The book about design and building in general is a longer term project for sale through bookstores and agents - it may or may not contain a plan.

MIK

masoth
30th October 2008, 12:26 PM
Like me, others may decide to build a boat without knowing all the jargon of boating. If it's not too late I'd suggest a "glossary" of boating terms would be a welcome addition to your books.
After all we are discussing "boats" in a woodwork forum, and I feel sure some Members have toyed with the idea of boat building simply because of these threads.
The "technical" terms in the plans I bought have me stumped!!! :?

soth

Boatmik
30th October 2008, 01:20 PM
Howdy Soth,

Good suggestion! Theodor made the same one some time ago as have some others. I'll add it to my list of priority items. (added)

If they are my plans .. post questions in my subforum as you come to them and I will sort it out. If not one of my plans post in the general boatbuilding thread and a whole swag of us will be over to have a look - so possible the advice will be a bit better!

Best wishes
Michael

masoth
30th October 2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Michael - the plans are from you. I'll do as you suggest because using a dictionary in association with the plans befuddles me more. :-

soth

Boatmik
30th October 2008, 02:16 PM
Which boat Soth?

Michael

masoth
30th October 2008, 02:40 PM
Michael, it's the Handy Punt.

Because I propose photographing (video perhaps) the building "event" I've read the planning notes several times, and over a long period since getting them. As these few months have too much sand lifted on the wind around here and after several physical/health problems I expect starting soon-ish. From other posts you've made I'll humbly offer any problems I might find in spelling, etc., if you wish.

soth

Boatmik
30th October 2008, 05:54 PM
Howdy Soth,

First to point you in the right direction. There is a boatbuilding thread on the Handy Punt (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=70065)here

As far as the Handy Punt plans go ... it is difficult for me to revise them as I lost the original document a decade ago in a hard disk crash. Same thing with BETH and the Russki. That is when I learned the importance of backing up!!!

I used an original scan of my master set of the plans with revised timber lists.

So if there are any serious errors in there I need to know ... but spelling errors I won't be able to do anything about at this time.

Best wishes
Michael.

bloggs1968
30th October 2008, 06:50 PM
Mik,

Great idea.

Did you consider publishing electronically - i.e. on CD but offering a print version as an option? A couple of overseas mobs are doing it this way. Easy then to update at any time and very simple to have a small run of discs done professionally (or by you if you have the time). I did a similar thing with my traditional clinker construction CD.

regards,

AD

Boatmik
30th October 2008, 07:40 PM
Yep, exactly Andrew. One lot of media leads to another in this digital age!

Best wishes
Michael