PDA

View Full Version : Yeast

pommyphil
18th October 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi I've been making good( better than good) Coopers for 30 yrs, and about 12 months ago fermentation time went from a week, max, to 2,3 and even 4 weeks.:? I've tried everything but different yeast, so I'm looking for a good yeast that will handle temps upto 30C. All the ones I see seem to be european 12C to 18C. :( So two questions
Is it the yeast? are other people having the same problem?
What is the best (non-Coopers ?) yeast for Dark Ale?
Hopefully Phil :)

jonesy007
18th October 2008, 07:17 PM
I am having the same problem with Cascade Lager at the moment. Normal is a couple of day ferment but this has been going for about a fortnight. The same yeast as all ways and nothing has change. How ever the temp in my shed is a bit cooler then normal but is average about 22 a day so this should be fine. So answer to Question two is yes and question one is I don't think so just that time of the year as the weather warms up maybe quicker ferment times

Beers
Jonesy

bpj1968
22nd October 2008, 08:46 AM
They are all temperature dependant.

Ideal temps.
lager yeasts 9-15, they also take a bit longer than Ale yeast
Ale yesats 15 -24

Almost all kits contain Ale yeast, this includes Coopers Lager, and other "lagers"

Coopers "European lager" has Lager yest. The yeast packet has a P after the batch number indicating pilsener

Temp too low and like us humans the yesat slows down and stops working. Too high and fermentation speeds up, but has same other impact, usally some other tastes.

Good alternatives - most home brew shops should have a good range, SAF are good, Safale and Safyeast are 2.

You could even harvest the yesat sediment from some commercial, bottle conditioned beers, such as Coopers.