PDA

View Full Version : More timber...! what can I say...?

robutacion
18th October 2008, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Yep, a "little" bit more of turning "material"...:o
The trailer is working hard,one load on Thursday, the other yesterday, the chains are getting worn, the storage is over-flowing, and no..., certainly not my friends, I'm not complaining!:D.

Lets see, one pile (first) of very dry (4 years laying on the ground) and very pretty sheoak, better quality, less cracks (under natural tree shade) and much better outer skin (not bark), for natural edged stuff, huh?:q.

Now, the second lot, the pretty rose/pink gum, is half dry (dead half tree), some is not as dry, but ok to work at any time. When I was asked to cut this old dead gum tree, I was hopping to get some wood in good enough condition for turning, as most of the tree was looking in pretty bad shape, as the owner wanted it for firewood. Not uncommon, but unfortunately, no one had realised that this huge tall tree, had a bee nest (hive) on it, at the centre of the trunk from the top, so and will be unnecessary to say, we, mainly I, got a taste of bee stings. Again, it would be to painful to describe exactly what happen, but if anyone wants to find out how fast they can run 100 yards, please get a couple of thousand very annoyed bees on your @ss...!:oo:.

This did happen last Wednesday, did take a little work from a local bee fellow to clear the area and the honey, the next day. On Friday (yesterday), when I cut the rest of the tree, I was presented with a large container of pure bees "gold", hive and all. I was thankful for the generous offer, even tough I was the one to cop with the "flogging". I understand, that tree produced about 8 kg of sweet stuff, I got about 2 kg and 8 bees stings (one for every kg they were producing, bloody hell...:(().

You just got to be lucky, huh...????:?:no:

PS: As soon as the stings improve my mobility a bit, I will cut/rip/blank & seal these 2 lots!:doh:

Cheers
RBTCO

rsser
18th October 2008, 09:13 PM
What can you say?

Have you tried saying nothing?

robutacion
18th October 2008, 10:37 PM
:hahaha: rsser, :yes: :roflmao:
But then and again, would live some people with nothing to do...! :secret: :D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
18th October 2008, 10:48 PM
Nice haul RBTCO!:2tsup:

So much timber:USo many bowls to turn:U:UNot enough time to turn:no::~:doh:

joe greiner
18th October 2008, 11:08 PM
What can you say?

Have you tried saying nothing?

Not in 'is repertoire, Ern.:wink::D:wink::D

Joe

robutacion
19th October 2008, 12:57 AM
Absolutely joe, absolutely...! :wink::D

Ed, I would be "stuffed" if I had to turn every bit of wood I collect :o, others will help with that task, hopefully...! :;

RBTCO

Ad de Crom
19th October 2008, 01:00 AM
RBTCO, if you can't store it all, I offer you my storage place for free :D
Ad

robutacion
19th October 2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks Ad, you're most generous...!:D
Open storage is not a problem, I've got 4 acres of clear paddock to fill if necessary, the problem is that I don't want to put some of these "ready to go" timbers, out in the open, and the enclosed storage is getting re-arranged all the time, to fit more and more, so I just have to sell more, huh?:doh::U.

RBTCO

robutacion
20th October 2008, 03:18 AM
Hi everyone,

Stage 2 (cut/split) of the last two lots of timber, is done. I still manage to have time to round half a dozen blanks of the nice dry sheoak.

Is not my intention to make others feel "bad" about all the timbers I constantly bring home / (storage paddock). After all, everyone one of those pieces I collect are available to anyone that is interested, so, any of my "finds" can be possibly yours.

I'm not greedy, and is enough for everyone...!

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
20th October 2008, 12:28 PM
Am I right in assuming that it's a no-go to mail wood from Australia to the US and vice-versa:?

rsser
20th October 2008, 12:42 PM
No Ed, there's a deal of trans-Pacific trade.

The killer is shipping cost.

Removing bark and sapwood is also sensible for bug control if not also actually mandated.

robutacion
20th October 2008, 01:30 PM
Am I right in assuming that it's a no-go to mail wood from Australia to the US and vice-versa:?

Yeah, Ed, rsser is right!
I'm not fully informed of all requirements and or costs for export/import of timbers from/to Australia, but those that rsser mention are only some of many more!, then comes the part that "hurts" badly, COST...!:doh::no:
I wish that I could find a way to send local timbers at a decent price to our forumates overseas!:~

Also, another fact to consider is the weight/volume as a package, handling certain things like pallets loaded with wood, or logs of considerable size, can be a problem for not only the person who is trying to put it together (seller) as also for some transport companies, which has no facilities to handle those items at the pick-up point (seller location).

I have been trying to get a transport company to accept to pick-up pallets loaded with turning timber, and have them delivered anywhere is Australia, and I have not found one yet prepared to do it, or offering the service for a price that is "realistic" and acceptable.

I am continuing to look for a regular currier for the pallet option, which is the most economical way to get large quantities of these timbers into people interested. The 25kg package that I've been offering is a good deal for the person buying it from far away, but It would be a much better option and worthwhile for everyone, to put some/most turning timbers (semi-prepared or not) into a 250kg up to 1000 kg pallet package. I could then, have more storage space available:D.

Hold on...!:? this mean that I need to find more timber to fill the empty spaces..??:oo:
Well..., that would really, really upset me, huh?:roll:

Cheers
RBTCO

joe greiner
20th October 2008, 11:28 PM
There's a hefty amount of international swapping of pen blanks via standard packs, between swappers who've done their homework.

Best check with the rules of the accepting country. Bark is almost always verboten, I think. AFAIK, Canuckistan (aka the Great White North) is most restrictive, with respect to endangered species, and subject to confiscation. And California has its own rules; road-borne traffic is inspected at the borders - IIRC, non-redwood (but timber) patio furniture is excluded. Might have changed in the past 20-30 years though.

Joe

Ed Reiss
21st October 2008, 12:03 AM
Best check with the rules of the accepting country. Bark is almost always verboten, I think. AFAIK, Canuckistan (aka the Great White North) is most restrictive, with respect to endangered species, and subject to confiscation. And California has its own rules; road-borne traffic is inspected at the borders - IIRC, non-redwood (but timber) patio furniture is excluded. Might have changed in the past 20-30 years though.

Joe

Might be time to move back to Kentucky....no rules there!:2tsup:

Thanks for the 411, guys.

The Hornet
22nd October 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi, I noticed you mill your own blanks.
I am also looking to do this with some camphor I have, Do I just cut it into small length rounds and then slice it down the centre?
I would also like to cut some slabs if possible?

robutacion
23rd October 2008, 01:16 AM
Hi, I noticed you mill your own blanks.
I am also looking to do this with some camphor I have, Do I just cut it into small length rounds and then slice it down the centre?
I would also like to cut some slabs if possible?

Hi The Hornet,
In general, any logs under 16" diameter, I cut them a little longer (inch or so) then its diameter, then rip them in half. If for immediate turning, cut the round circle and turn them, green or otherwise. If for later turning, 2 ways I go about it, first seal (paint x coats) the ends of the half logs or cut them round and to the right thickness, seal (paint) all around and store them in a dry, possibly dark & well ventilated place.

For cutting slabs on the larger logs, you can use a variety of methods, mills, band-saws and a normal chainsaw with a bar to match the diameter of the log if possible, but not compulsory. The slabs should be sealed on the end-grain and stored flat with spacers in between.

Nothing to complicated, huh?:D

RBTCO