PDA

View Full Version : On holidays...

bigfish
19th October 2008, 11:28 AM
About to head off to Bright (Vic) for a weeks' R&R next Friday (24th).

Are there any sites of interest in that area?

SWMBO is a fanatical quilter so need some sanity retaining activity while I'm there!

Cheers,
Alan

dai sensei
20th October 2008, 11:03 AM
The wood show is on that weekend, call in and you are sure to run into quite a few forumites.

Shame you just missed 's workshop.

Cheers

Rookie
20th October 2008, 11:39 AM
It's still four hours from Bright to Melbourne Dai, so the show might be a long drive. She'd certainly get a full day's quilting time though.

There is a big barn full of second hand and antique goods on the left as you leave Porpunkah and travel to Bright. It's quite often a lot of junk but worth having a look around for old tools, blades etc. There's also second hand timber there. It has a nice cafe as well and a second store in another building with old records, CD's etc. I've wasted a few good hours there.

Over the gap around Towonga and Mount Beauty there are always good sights. Go up towards Falls Creek out the back of Mount Beauty and visit the town of Little Bogong. Not much there except a nice lake and a coffee shop but it was originally set up to build and manage the hydro station at MacKay Creek.

It also helps if you are a fisherman around that area. The Ovens River is good for trout.

Probably plenty of fallen timber about too. Bright has a lot of non-natives such as golden poplar etc.

Alastair
21st October 2008, 10:59 AM
About to head off to Bright (Vic) for a weeks' R&R next Friday (24th).

Are there any sites of interest in that area?

SWMBO is a fanatical quilter so need some sanity retaining activity while I'm there!

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan,

While I can't assist with Vic, I am interested in how the dual crafts of you and your good lady rub along together. My wife is rapidly getting hooked on quilting, and I am curious as to what I am in for!

regards

wheelinround
21st October 2008, 11:34 AM
Alan there is heaps to see down Bright way

Are you going from ACT through Khankoban or Kiandra Cabrummra and down into Corryong its a beautiful drive as long as the snow has cleared and road is open.:2tsup:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Plenty of spring time tone walks make sure you take a camera

http://www.visitalpinevictoria.com.au/

dai sensei
21st October 2008, 05:34 PM
It's still four hours from Bright to Melbourne Dai...

:? I could have sworn the thread said Melbourne when I posted, CRAFT may have set in more than I thought :-:D

bigfish
21st October 2008, 06:27 PM
Hi Alan,

While I can't assist with Vic, I am interested in how the dual crafts of you and your good lady rub along together. My wife is rapidly getting hooked on quilting, and I am curious as to what I am in for!

regards

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

There is nothing within the bounds of the known universe that causes as much grief to the male of the species as a Quilting Addicted Spouse (QAS).

It starts out slowly... the odd bit of fabric here and there ... a quilting magazine or two... then more fabric...more fabric... MORE fabric... MORE FABRIC. They say nature abhors a vacuum. That was in fact postulated by the husband of a QAS.

Be prepared to lose all of your access to the computer once she discovers the SCQUILTERS (Southern Cross Quilters) forum on Yahoo. This forum is infinitismal compared to the 100+ messages she will recieve each day.

Fairly close behind will come the obligatory "Stitch 'n' Bitch" attendances with other QAS'. Every month or so she will host the other local QAS' at your house so that all husbands can share the pain.

Various Quilting Items of Mass Destruction (QIMD) will start to appear in random locations around the household. Using them for any non-quilting pursuit (no matter how much they may assist your useful woodworking pursuits) will invoke the wrath of the aforesaid QAS. Similarly, moving items off your favourite chair or the dining table (to have somewhere to eat dinner) is likewise likely to cause an immediate Fall From Grace (FFG).

To escape from such depths requires the accumulation of many Quilting Brownie Points (QBPs) including the loan of various credit cards (you may want to increase the credit limit) and emptying of the wallet.

A QAS is, unlike a woodworker, rather disorganised and prone to frequent loss of enthusiasm resulting in a veritable plethora of Quilts Awaiting Finishing Touches (QAFTs). Any quilt being made for you is, by the Laws of Nature and Quilting, trapped at the Event Horizon of a Black Hole, from which it will never escape to completion.

And I won't even mention the impact of the birth of a child to a relative or friend - provided they live within the confines of the Solar System...

Apart from that, its pretty much life as usual.:D

Oh, and forget any of the "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" stuff. Your QAS will be far too preoccupied finishing the latest quilt to come to bed while you are still awake.:o

Welcome to the world of the husband of a QAS.

Cheers,
Alan