PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Router Blades

GraemeCook
19th October 2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Y'All

I have built up quite a collection of dull to blunt to chipped router bits and would like any useful advise on what to do. They a nearly all carbide.

A quick search of this site suggests that dull bits can be honed only, using a diamond stone. Is this correct? And what type and grade of diamond sharpeners should I use?

For blunt and damaged bits it seems I should get them professionally sharpened. Can anyone recommend a sharpener in Hobart?

Thanks in anticipation

Graeme

China
19th October 2008, 10:04 PM
Unless you have a tool & cutter grinder diamond wheels would be a false economy, you can buy green silicon carbide wheels that are about 1/5 the cost of diamond wheels they will do the job, just a bit slower

Stewey
3rd February 2009, 04:57 PM
How damaged are they?

I've used a bench grinder with a green wheel to grind past chips, and a hand-held diamond lap file to hone the flat face, a good few times. (on tungsten-tipped bits)

With the straight plunge bits, I sometimes stop & use the diamond lap file to touch the flat face up as I'm doing a job- maybe every 20 minutes of routing in HW, with a bit of WD40 as lube. It at least cleans any possible sap off & gives you a breather for a few moments & it does clean the bit.

Stewey
3rd February 2009, 05:03 PM
P.S Take care- you can also stuff up the balance of a high speed tool & make a real mess if you stuff it up. Consider getting Carbatec to touch them up if you're uncertain.

KevM
3rd February 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi Y'All

I have built up quite a collection of dull to blunt to chipped router bits and would like any useful advise on what to do. They a nearly all carbide.

For blunt and damaged bits it seems I should get them professionally sharpened. Can anyone recommend a sharpener in Hobart?

Stock up from Saw & Bits with what they have left only $5.50 each. Quality is quite good(mid range) and is probably cheaper than sharpening.

If you are hell bent on going down the sharpening track then I use Southern Saw Service in Hull St, Glenorchy.

Rattrap
4th February 2009, 08:10 AM
Graeme, the community mens shed up here at Deloraine just sent all our router bits into carba-tec in Launceston & had the lot sharpened, starting the year off with all sharp bits. Took them bout a week & they all came up fine & cost only a few $ per bit.

old pete
4th February 2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Graeme,

Don't mess about with this one. Send them back to Carbitool in Melbourne or to the Sydney Saw Works. Its an overnight service and they will be as new upon return. I've tried the folk in both Hobart and Launceston, there's two, who offer this service. It's an experience I wouldn't want you to repeat. Old Pete

toolbagsPLUS
4th February 2009, 09:36 AM
Just a thought, gained from painful experiece, once re-sharpened they are not the same size as when new e.g. 19mm resharpened in no longer a 19mm bit.:no:

Found that out after routing several hundred rebates with resharpened bits.:doh::C

Cheers

Steve

GraemeCook
10th February 2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys. I am learning from your experience - saves me the pain.

Thanks again

Cheers

Graeme

GraemeCook
10th February 2009, 04:17 PM
Just a thought, gained from painful experiece, once re-sharpened they are not the same size as when new e.g. 19mm resharpened in no longer a 19mm bit.:no:

Found that out after routing several hundred rebates with resharpened bits.:doh::C

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, good advice. But I can live with an 18.1 mm strait cutter that cuts, rather than a 19 mm one that is unusable.

Cheers

Graeme