PDA

View Full Version : Bolero

m2c1Iw
19th October 2008, 11:42 PM
Not sure what section to put this but for those who appreciate boats this (http://www.lackeysailing.com/bolero/bolero.htm) site is well worth a read.

It has been amazing to watch how quickly this project has been completed.

Cheers
Mike

Boatmik
20th October 2008, 09:48 AM
Oh sorry ... I thought this was the Latin American Dancing section.

MIK

(I think I have just ensured we will get lots of traffic from people looking up - bolero dance - on google.

I could take a few more steps and add more dancing keywords ... but it might put me off my rhythm or maybe my beat and upset my partners here particularly when watching the time.)

MiddleAgesMan
3rd December 2008, 08:04 AM
I followed the Bolero project almost from the start and found it very interesting. The re-builder does some very nice work but I had some concerns about a couple things he did on this craft, mainly the instances where he epoxied structural corner blocking across the grain of the cabin sides. The sides and blocking were solid mahogany so I'm wondering how those corners are going to handle the stresses when the fairly wide side pieces try to expand while they are locked at the corners by the blocking. He used a similar technique when building the aft hatch cover.

What say you? Is it OK to add blocking as corner reinforcements across solid planks, with the grain at 90 degrees? I've always been told it's OK to screw blocking or battens across the grain but with no adhesive and, preferrably, with wax on the faying surface.