PDA

View Full Version : Shooting for Perfection

derekcohen
20th October 2008, 03:02 AM
I have put together an article on post-construction testing of a shooting board. I think some of you will find it interesting.

There are a couple of new features as well.

This is also the last board I shall make for some months - too many projects to build for home. I am more than happy to provide help if you want to build your own.

The link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ShootingforPerfection.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

kevjed
20th October 2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Derek,
that's a great website that you have built for yourself. The modified shooting board looks fantastic.
I had no idea that you were building it for me.:;
Seriously, your work is lovely.
with thanks
Kevin

Shedhand
26th October 2008, 08:29 PM
I have put together an article on post-construction testing of a shooting board. I think some of you will find it interesting.

There are a couple of new features as well.

This is also the last board I shall make for some months - too many projects to build for home. I am more than happy to provide help if you want to build your own.

The link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ShootingforPerfection.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
G'day Derek
Nice shooter. Looking at the mitres made with the Donkey Ear is there or would there be a tendency for the stock to slip down as the plane takes the cut? I'm just wondering as I don't think I have the strength in my hands anymore to be able to hold the stock against the stop firmly enough to prevent slippage and the consequent chattered mitre cut. I think I'd have to use a clamp or face the stop with sandpaper as a grip medium. Any thoughts.
Cheers
Mike

derekcohen
26th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Kevin

Many thanks for your kind words. Yes, the website has filled out somewhat. I need to find the time to tidy it up. Any feedback from you is greatfully received.

Hi Mike

Regarding your slippage, I suggest not so many beers when you work .. :U Ok, OK ..

I found a non-slip powder additive at Bunnings. Add a little to varnish (it is designed to be added to floor paint) and paint your fences. It is soft in feel, so not scratching of wood, yet hold the work securely.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wood Borer
26th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Nice piece of equipment Derek:2tsup:

Shedhand
27th October 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Mike

....I suggest not so many beers when you work .. :U

Regards from Perth

DerekOi. Listen mate, I'm not one of those beer-swilling red-kneck wood-butchers!!!:~ I'm a refined, Single Malt swilling, wood artiste.....at least that's what I think when I'm pi**ed :cool::q.
Seriously though I'll have to check out the no-slip stuff when I next stumble across abunnings store...
Cheers