PDA

View Full Version : glass bricks for shower wall

Buttercup
2nd April 2004, 02:29 AM
I know I have lots of questions but reseraching for this renovation is a full-time job.

Tiny bathroom....only place for shower is against the original window (painted wood, double-hung with cupboard in-built in frame). I was thinking of taking window and wall out altogether and replacing with glass brick. I have seen a few magazines with this done, but what are the pitfalls?

Hugo
2nd April 2004, 08:13 AM
I picked up some advice while also looking at glass bricks for the bathroom. I was wanting a glass brick wall as a shower screen ( walk around it to enter shower ). The advice being not to use them where mould might be an issue, reason being mould gets into even the tightest of joints, and once its there you can see it. Thats just what I was told by a supplier and when I relayed this concern to other manufactures of bricks/brick systems they were also concerned.
Having said all that I have not done my Bathroom yet, but if there is some sort of alternative or mouldproof system I would like to know.

Ps. I Hate Mould !!!!!

seriph1
2nd April 2004, 08:39 AM
I thought manufacturers made mould-proof mortars and silicons these days for just this reason.....?

Questions:

Are you saying youre going to remove the wall entirely and replace it with glass bricks? The finished result, while a great idea will require very careful attention to water ingress.

I love the idea personally (though certainly don't have the body to give the neighbours a thrill.....they have 6packs - I have a Coolabah cask)..... and on that-how will you achieve privacy? Even obscure blocks are translucent....and screening the outside would defeat the purpose wouldn’t it?

Would a large piece of laminated, obscure glass work as well?

What will the other 3 sides of the shower recess have, if anything?

:)

DanP
2nd April 2004, 02:07 PM
I have glass bricks on my ensuite and at best all you can see is a very blurry silhouette. They look good both in and out and IMO they are better than the misted glass.

Dan

Buttercup
2nd April 2004, 06:58 PM
Disappointed!!!!
I just wrote a HUGE response and submitted to find I'd forgotten to log in before and I lost the lot. Sorry folks no time to retype now but I greatly appreciate the input from you all.