PDA

View Full Version : Photography challenge

Pages : [1] 2

Brown Dog
20th October 2008, 02:14 PM
Not much woodworking going on at the moment for me (cause of a buggered shoulder) and seeing as I have just gone halves with SWMBO in a new camera... Im filling in my spare time learning more about taking piccy's :photo3:

SO.....I was just wondering if there would be any interest in starting a photography challenge :shrug:

I was thinking the theme could be "The shed"...which would mean anything you can think of as long as it relates to "the Shed" no matter how obscure (see: artistic :rolleyes:)

let me know what you think

cheers
BD:photo2:

Wongo
20th October 2008, 03:25 PM
Brown dog, I have had this idea for a long time but never got to start a post. My concept was very similar to yours. The winning entry could be made as a poster for members to buy. Imagine a poster of a dovetailed drawer and a set of chisels on an old workbench. That would be nice.:2tsup:

We have so many talented photographers here so it could be a goer.

Brown Dog
20th October 2008, 04:55 PM
I like the poster idea Wongo :2tsup:

fenderbelly
20th October 2008, 04:57 PM
i am interested, but seeing as how i currently dont have a shed any entry by me would be very obscure or artistic.

Maybe a different theme each month.
Then again nearly everyone i know has a shed.:roll:

Cheers Fred

wheelinround
20th October 2008, 05:01 PM
Sounds great Idea :2tsup:

Brown Dog
20th October 2008, 05:04 PM
i currently dont have a shed

Well...it might just be a little bit more of a challenge for you then :U

wheelinround
20th October 2008, 05:11 PM
neither did this fella

http://www.geocities.com/old_lead/Marcbrucelangseth06.bmp

jow104
20th October 2008, 05:30 PM
pic above.
Over exposed.

kevjed
20th October 2008, 05:53 PM
pic above.
Over exposed.
nahhh!!
just tilt your LCD monitor back a little til you think the exposure is right on the money.
Then tilt it all the way back (on your laptop) and it looks solarised. Very cool.

I think that photo challenge would be great...just a bit of fun.
Kevin

Papa
20th October 2008, 06:04 PM
This better,, slap, slap, slap.??

:boxing5::boxing5::boxing5:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2826/marcbrucelangseth06im6.jpg

wheelinround
20th October 2008, 06:08 PM
Back in those days they worked long into the night :D

fenderbelly
20th October 2008, 06:38 PM
Well...it might just be a little bit more of a challenge for you then :U

I would refer the Honorable member Brown Dog to this competion.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=71507

Entrant No 12 scored 3 votes, out of 20 entries there were only 7 with a higher vote count.

Now i'm pretty sure i can make a bit of 2x4 or is it 4x2 look better than that even with my very limited shed access.

In regards to post 11 i do some of my best work at night.

Cheers Fred

Brown Dog
20th October 2008, 06:53 PM
Now i'm pretty sure i can make a bit of 2x4 or is it 4x2 look better than that even with my very limited shed access.

Maybe that could be the next theme.... "what me an my 4x2 did on holidays"

jow104
20th October 2008, 07:12 PM
After looking at Papas and Wheelers pictures I think that picture quality cannot really be judged fairly because it is only the capabilities of the imaging program being used.

However subject matter can be judged differently and that causes another problem.

Not against any competiton, but I saw a competition result once in a well known magazine and could not agree the decision, the pic. was pure rubbish could have been taken by a 5 year old, and probably was.

Papa
20th October 2008, 07:51 PM
After looking at Papas and Wheelers pictures I think that picture quality cannot really be judged fairly because it is only the capabilities of the imaging program being used.

However subject matter can be judged differently and that causes another problem.

Not against any competiton, but I saw a competition result once in a well known magazine and could not agree the decision, the pic. was pure rubbish could have been taken by a 5 year old, and probably was.

When I started in photography, it was all done with brushes and
scrapers and re-photographing and touching up negatives and it
took hours and sometimes days.

Now in is done with the click of the mouse and takes seconds.
With free programs.

This took about 30 seconds to do, it's not that great, just an example.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1383/marcbrucelangseth06xgg4.jpg

fenderbelly
20th October 2008, 07:54 PM

so does this mean you're in or not.

Cheers Fred

jow104
20th October 2008, 08:50 PM
and compete against papa.?:D

RufflyRustic
20th October 2008, 08:57 PM
I like the poster idea very much. may I toss in foe consideration the idea of a calendar that people could print themselves??

I'm terrible at taking photos, but this would be one way of learning and having fun at the same time.

I'm in:D

kmthor
20th October 2008, 09:06 PM
i would be keen

km

WoodJunky
20th October 2008, 09:29 PM
i would be keen as well

might make me use my camera a little bit more

jow104
20th October 2008, 09:33 PM
So how would a quality picture be obtained from the web/forum to make a calendar?

I'm in by the way.

Brown Dog
20th October 2008, 10:39 PM
A calendar would probably be easier to do than a poster. A poster size print would ideally require the photo to be taken with a camera with high resolution, depending on the size of the poster required. Where as a calendar size print would only need a camera with around 6mp to be a very good quality print.

So how would a quality picture be obtained from the web/forum to make a calendar?I think to avoid having to resize all pics to forum requirements the photos could be stored on an online picture gallery and linked into the forum. Like this
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2946029797_436cd11e36_o.jpg

Wongo
21st October 2008, 09:04 AM
You are the man BD. Let's do it then. I am hopeless with the camera so I will just sit back and watch. :D

Brown Dog
21st October 2008, 05:38 PM
I count around 7 interested with their hands up and one spectator (thanks for the support Wongo :D) ...more would be good....anybody else ?

bitingmidge
22nd October 2008, 08:09 AM
I'm a definite maybe!

P
:D:D:D

DuncanH
22nd October 2008, 11:50 PM
I'm a maybe definite :p

Clinton1
23rd October 2008, 11:02 AM
I'll have a crack.... what exactly are we doing?

Brown Dog
23rd October 2008, 01:39 PM
A couple more hands up....I think this could be a goer :D

I'll have a crack.... what exactly are we doing?Very good question Clinton

My intent with this thread was to guage interest in a photography challenge with a theme of "The shed".....thats as far as I got :- .

:think: I will have a think about it and post some rules and what not, Im also open to suggestions. I think a forum poll similar to the woodworking challenges will proabably be the easiest to decide a winner ( so the assitance of a friendly mod would be appeciated :unsure::help:)

I will get back to ya

Wongo
23rd October 2008, 01:45 PM
Didn't we agree it needs to be woodwork related? For example it could be picture a piece of furniture, picture of a workshop, picture of a beautiful 2hp powermatic jointer :D, picture of timber but not a tree, etc. What do you think BD?

rotten_66
23rd October 2008, 03:35 PM
First time for everything, count me in! :q

Ianab
23rd October 2008, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan...

A picture of my workshop would be the "before" shot for "Extreme Workshop Makeover", where BD's is the After. So unless I go and shoot someone elses shop I will skip that one.

But if you went with a calender style we could have a different Theme for each month. Tools, trees, woodgrain, details, finished project.. and a few more to make a year worth of woodworking.

I'm sure if we got the whole thing together it could be hosted as a downloadable A4 printout of a few MBs. Sponsors logo in the corner to 'pay' for the file hosting.

Ian

bitingmidge
23rd October 2008, 06:54 PM
Didn't we agree it needs to be woodwork related? For example it could be picture a piece of furniture, picture of a workshop, picture of a beautiful 2hp powermatic jointer :D, picture of timber but not a tree, etc. What do you think BD?

I think we should allow shadows as well.

P
:D

Big Shed
23rd October 2008, 07:16 PM

..........and will visual art be allowed in this photography challenge?

jackliveshere
23rd October 2008, 07:50 PM
:lolabove:

jackliveshere
23rd October 2008, 07:51 PM
I'd be in Brown Dog - wouldn't mind giving it a shot with my mad photography skillz :photo3:

Brown Dog
24th October 2008, 08:12 AM
A few more peeps...welcome aboard :D

Didn't we agree it needs to be woodwork related?I didn't want to restrict it to just wood work as such. I thought a "shed" theme could include anything to do with sheds. Could be a picture of the spider that lives in the corner, a particularly artistic looking pile of sawdust, something really weird you have in your shed or as Wongo suggests a shiny machine :D....anything to do with stuff going on inside or outside of sheds.

Wendy (aka Ruffly Rustic) has suggested that each entrant submit a number of photos...which would mean that we should have enough to put together a calendar with a photo for each month. I think that's a good idea :2tsup:.

So...I will sort out the technical details and a time frame, then post a set of "conditions of entry" soon

cheers
BD:cool:

Edit. If the calendar idea was to go ahead does anyone have any suggestions on where to get them printed... I just had a quick look at the online printer I have just started using (fuji film) and they do a 12 month calendar with front cover for $30 plus postage. Simple enough to do but are people willing to pay that kind of money ? or does someone have a better idea ?

Wongo
24th October 2008, 09:08 AM
..........and will visual art be allowed in this photography challenge?

Of course. Actually don’t bother using a camera. Just use photoshop or even paintbrush to make one up. Don’t you think it is “clever”? Do that and you might even get a few votes. :rolleyes:

bsrlee
24th October 2008, 08:58 PM
I dunno about the paint programs, but it still looks like Roger Rogerson in the early 1970's, when he was still on his way up in the C.I.B.

MajorPanic
3rd November 2008, 10:46 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/Workshop-1.jpg

bitingmidge
3rd November 2008, 11:39 PM
Hey Major! You need to paint your shed, all that wood absorbs light you know!
:D:D:D

P

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87687&d=1225716001

wheelinround
4th November 2008, 08:26 AM
:aro-u: Midge in his shed Fiddling About Fiddling About

munruben
4th November 2008, 10:03 AM
Guess I could give it a go although my best camera is overseas at the moment with my daughter on holidays for 6 weeks. but hey, nothing to lose eh?

RufflyRustic
4th November 2008, 10:10 AM
I've started taking some photos with the challenge in mind. I don't know if it will turn out or not, but it's fun thinking about such photos and trying my hand out.:D

echnidna
4th November 2008, 10:38 AM
I have a DJ130 printer which can print a poster A1 size.

I'd be pleased to print a high quality poster for the winner(s)

Brown Dog
4th November 2008, 11:07 AM
I have a DJ130 printer which can print a poster A1 size.

I'd be pleased to print a high quality poster for the winner(s)

Thanks for the offer Bob...that would be great :2tsup:

What sort of resolution do you need for a nice A1 size print ?

cheers
BD:)

P.S. Although we have been working quietly behind the scenes to work out some of the details for this challenge...It may be little while longer before I can officially call the challenge open....its always the way, you think of something fun to do and other things pop up to get in the way :rolleyes::D.......but that does give everyone more time to get some shots :wink:

Howdya do that
4th November 2008, 11:37 AM
Brown Dog, is that your shed in post 22?

If so, I hate you:D

echnidna
4th November 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the offer Bob...that would be great :2tsup:

What sort of resolution do you need for a nice A1 size print ?

cheers
BD:)

P.S. Although we have been working quietly behind the scenes to work out some of the details for this challenge...It may be little while longer before I can officially call the challenge open....its always the way, you think of something fun to do and other things pop up to get in the way :rolleyes::D.......but that does give everyone more time to get some shots :wink:

according to the HP manual 200dpi though I usually use 300dpi
n.b. camera lens quality is far more important than mp

Brown Dog
4th November 2008, 02:26 PM
Brown Dog, is that your shed in post 22?

If so, I hate you:D

Yep...:q:D

according to the HP manual 200dpi though I usually use 300dpi
n.b. camera lens quality is far more important than mpI have heard that reasonable results can be had with resolution down to 150dpi if you don't stand to close. But to do 300 dpi would require a massive file to print a size of 30"x20"

eg. My camera is a 6mp so puts out up to 3000x2000 (pixels) pictures, which equates to a file size around 1.5Mb at a 1:8 compression ratio . This would print out a pic 15"x10" at 200dpi. Bump that up to 30"x20" and your only getting 100dpi. :( .

So to go full A1 size may not be worth it, as I was thinking to limit the resolution as part of the entry conditions. To keep the files to a reasonable size. Though an A3 or maybe even an A2 size print could be good :D

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Johncs
4th November 2008, 03:21 PM
This better,, slap, slap, slap.??

Underexposed.

Detail lost in the blacks. Seems you need to adjust the contrast:q

echnidna
4th November 2008, 04:55 PM
Yep...:q:D

I have heard that reasonable results can be had with resolution down to 150dpi if you don't stand to close. But to do 300 dpi would require a massive file to print a size of 30"x20"

eg. My camera is a 6mp so puts out up to 3000x2000 (pixels) pictures, which equates to a file size around 1.5Mb at a 1:8 compression ratio . This would print out a pic 15"x10" at 200dpi. Bump that up to 30"x20" and your only getting 100dpi. :( .

So to go full A1 size may not be worth it, as I was thinking to limit the resolution as part of the entry conditions. To keep the files to a reasonable size. Though an A3 or maybe even an A2 size print could be good :D

cheers
BD:2tsup:

I get well above average results with a 4mp camera printing 30"x20" with file size around 1mp. I suspect a good camera lens combined with the printer drivers are responsible. From my point of view a 1 to 2 mp file won't be a problem to print though its far too large to display online

Johncs
4th November 2008, 08:18 PM
A few more peeps...welcome aboard :D

I didn't want to restrict it to just wood work as such. I thought a "shed" theme could include anything to do with sheds.

A "shed" theme would allow me to go and shoot Dad's hay shed he built in the 50s, Early 50s.

It's a bit run down, AFAIK it's had no maintenance except for replacing a few sheets of tin after Alby had at it.
Fer furreners, see http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/wa/cyclone/about/perth/alby.shtml

And the cow shed next to it.

Johncs
4th November 2008, 08:33 PM
Question re rules
What, if any, post camera is allowed? Personally, if I were to enter I'd rather be judged on my photography skills than expertise with The Gimp. I think cropping, dodging and burning) should be allowed (I could do those with B+W chemistry-based photography). OTOH I never knew anyone to use an airbrush.

Would monochrome and colour be judged separately?

Waldo
4th November 2008, 09:02 PM
I'll put my hand up to have a go. :2tsup:

Echidna would well know, but for the others out there. 300dpi is what would be required, any less and I assuming Echidna, that you have a RIp on the large format printer, in which case the image can be ripped to a larger size, but in doing so you'll get a pixelated image.

So really the best thing to do is take your shots at the highest quality your camera allows. :2tsup:

jow104
4th November 2008, 09:56 PM
I think manipulation in an imaging program in this day and age would be acceptable, after all it is going to be posted on a web page so most probably colour and contrast would almost be a necessity anyway.
Cloning in and out should be allowed, so anything goes, a snapshot is not a contest in this day and age, or is it?

Brown Dog
5th November 2008, 09:20 AM
Question re rules
What, if any, post camera is allowed? Personally, if I were to enter I'd rather be judged on my photography skills than expertise with The Gimp. I think cropping, dodging and burning) should be allowed (I could do those with B+W chemistry-based photography). OTOH I never knew anyone to use an airbrush.

Rules have not been completely finalised as yet.

But any post production you like will be allowed. Each participant will be allowed to enter a number (to be decided) of photos. So you can enter one with minimal post production and one full HDR image taken with multiple exposures then run through some artistic filter..what ever you like :D

Would monochrome and colour be judged separately?Nope. judging will be decided with one public poll

Just enter the images you think are the best and see if others agree...simple :wink:

So really the best thing to do is take your shots at the highest quality your camera allows. :2tsup:
Image size will probably have to be limited a bit, just to make handling so many files a bit easier ( i dont really want to have 30+ 12Mp low compression files to have to deal with :D). However once the winner is decided there is no reason why the original hi res file cant be the one that gets printed.

Allan at Wallan
5th November 2008, 02:43 PM
Will be happy to participate.

Watching this thread for future instructions.

Allan

fenderbelly
6th November 2008, 09:15 AM
I think manipulation in an imaging program in this day and age would be acceptable, after all it is going to be posted on a web page so most probably colour and contrast would almost be a necessity anyway.
Cloning in and out should be allowed, so anything goes, a snapshot is not a contest in this day and age, or is it?

I think you have to be careful how much manipulation you allow,sharpening --auto colour and leveling everyone can do but when i see what my son does in photoshop
its unbelievable.

Cheers Fred

bitingmidge
6th November 2008, 11:18 AM
I think you have to be careful how much manipulation you allow,sharpening --auto colour and leveling everyone can do but when i see what my son does in photoshop
its unbelievable.

So what is important, the end result, or how it was produced?

Why not just get on with it and see what comes out of it? It's hardly the sort of thing that sheep stations are going to be lost over.

If something pops up that is so way out that it wins amid a cloud of controversy, ban the technique next time, (or make it compulsory).

Forget the rules -

It has to be shed/workshop based (or any interpretation of that)
Lodge them all at the maximum allowable size permitted by the forum - to fit in an 800 x 600 rectangle

And start!

Cheers,

P
:U

Brown Dog
6th November 2008, 12:18 PM
Forget the rules -

so what are these then :aro-d::?.......

t has to be shed/workshop based (or any interpretation of that)
Lodge them all at the maximum allowable size permitted by the forum - to fit in an 800 x 600 rectangle

And start!

sound like rules to me:p:D

Wongo
6th November 2008, 02:14 PM
...and I will be the only judge:whistle: and my words are final. :cool2::cl::smokeing:

bitingmidge
6th November 2008, 03:57 PM
so what are these then :aro-d::?.......
sound like rules to me:p:D

consider them to be Helpful Suggestions.
:p

P

masoth
6th November 2008, 05:07 PM
For the keen photographer here is an initeresting site: http://www.passionforpixels.com/

Brown Dog
6th November 2008, 06:08 PM
consider them to be Helpful Suggestions.
:p

P

Thanks for that Midge :D

and I will be the only judge:whistle: and my words are final. :cool2::cl::smokeing:

will you be accepting bribes too Wongo ?

jow104
6th November 2008, 06:32 PM
So is this a snapshot competition, a workshop fashion show or creating a picture/photograph using tools and imagination of all kinds?

Brown Dog
6th November 2008, 06:48 PM
So is this a snapshot competition, a workshop fashion show or creating a picture/photograph using tools and imagination of all kinds?

All of the above :D

jow104
6th November 2008, 07:24 PM
Thats good, Marquis of Queensbury rules apply then.:2tsup:

The last man standing wins.(or lady :B )

fenderbelly
6th November 2008, 07:26 PM
For the keen photographer here is an initeresting site: http://www.passionforpixels.com/

I''ve put in favourites and will have a look later.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers Fred

Andy Mac
6th November 2008, 08:33 PM
I'll put my hat in too, if there's room. Look fwd to more on when and where.
BTW I like the calendar idea too.:2tsup:

Cheers

RufflyRustic
6th November 2008, 10:54 PM
...and I will be the only judge:whistle: and my words are final. :cool2::cl::smokeing:

Sez he who won't even enter :p:p:p:wink::wink::D:D

Clinton1
7th November 2008, 12:57 PM
Shed/Workshop based, (or an interpretation of that)

I think you will see how far left field I can take that! :D :)

MrFixIt
7th November 2008, 10:25 PM
Hi

n.b. camera lens quality is far more important than mp
Not really.

Most consumer camera lenses would be capable of resolving an image to a greater/finer resolution that that of the sensor being used to capture the image.

Certainly the quality of a lens does influence the image quality. However, given the same lens used for a 6-8mp image and a 12mp image the 12mp image will be better as the larger number of pixels improves the resolution.

This is analogous to using a fine grain film in a 35mm camera.

There are always trade-off though. The size of the pixels that are capturing the image also affect the resultant image. So it could be that a smaller sensor with a higher pixel count may not produce as good a result as that of a larger sensor that actually has less pixels.

There are many factors that affect the captured image...

lens distortion,
chromatic aberation,
purple fringing,
sensor "noise"
digital to analog conversion ciecuits, etc, etc...

...but in general, with the reasonably good lenses avialable on most consumer cameras these days, the higher pixel count still has an advantage and is generally more important than the lense quality.

Johncs
10th November 2008, 12:11 AM
So what is important, the end result, or how it was produced?

Why not just get on with it and see what comes out of it? It's hardly the sort of thing that sheep stations are going to be lost over.

If it's photography I might be interested. If it's likely the best shopper will win, I'm not interested.

I've taken some decent photos over time, but I cannot draw to save myself, and even something allegedly simple such as Google Sketchup confounds me, not all my 40 years' computing can help me.

I don't really care what the prize is, but I do think a photography competition should be a fair test of photographic skills.

When I was a member of the Waverley Camera club, there was but one member who took paints to her photos (but rarely), Now, with post production in computers , it's perfectly possible for the image to bear little, if any, resemblance to reality.. I recall some years ago a front-page image of a naked Jeff Kennett in The Age. The image did not reflect reality in any reasonable sense.

Jeff was not amused.

Johncs
10th November 2008, 12:13 AM
I
Jeff was not amused.

I should mention, for the sake of the younger readers, and the ruriners, that at the time Jeff Kennett was Member for Ashburton and Premier of Victoria.

Johncs
10th November 2008, 12:28 AM
HiNot really.

Most consumer camera lenses would be capable of resolving an image to a greater/finer resolution that that of the sensor being used to capture the image.

Certainly the quality of a lens does influence the image quality. However, given the same lens used for a 6-8mp image and a 12mp image the 12mp image will be better as the larger number of pixels improves the resolution.

This is analogous to using a fine grain film in a 35mm camera.

There are always trade-off though. The size of the pixels that are capturing the image also affect the resultant image. So it could be that a smaller sensor with a higher pixel count may not produce as good a result as that of a larger sensor that actually has less pixels.

There are many factors that affect the captured image...

lens distortion,
chromatic aberation,
purple fringing,
sensor "noise"
digital to analog conversion ciecuits, etc, etc...

...but in general, with the reasonably good lenses avialable on most consumer cameras these days, the higher pixel count still has an advantage and is generally more important than the lense quality.

For viewing on-screen, the number of pixels is almost irrelevant. My aging 3.2 Mp compact camera can produce perfectly acceptable prints up to A4. The newer cameras with more pixels can produce larger acceptable prints, and at about 15 Mpixels apparently the resolution of 35 mm film camera.

But, there's an enormous difference between what a cheap compact film camera and something of the quality of the Canon EOS 10 can do. Lenses are part of it, but there are also metering and focussing systems. A good photographer can take good photos (maybe with some difficulty) with a modest camera, but a good camera with good lenses makes it easier.

There's a reason wedding (and other professional) photographers have huge lumps of glass hanging on the front of their camera, in some cases, they have their camera hanging off a huge lump of glass.

Some of my best photos were taken with a Mamiya C330 TLR - good fixed lenses, a 2.25" negative - and no metering.

jow104
10th November 2008, 01:23 AM
A photograph doesnt have to be sharp to win a competition, they have soft focus lenses these days, and photoshop has a blur tool, so using software is no different than using hardware.

munruben
10th November 2008, 08:50 AM
So with all these pics being taken at 3, 4 5, or 6 MPs How do we upload pics of that size up to the forum. Or have I missed something. surely the pics will lose quality anyway if we have to reduce them in size for the upload limit of the forum. Can someone explain?

fenderbelly
10th November 2008, 09:18 AM
So with all these pics being taken at 3, 4 5, or 6 MPs How do we upload pics of that size up to the forum. Or have I missed something. surely the pics will lose quality anyway if we have to reduce them in size for the upload limit of the forum. Can someone explain?

John as far as i know when you reduce your pic to 800 longest side you dont lose out on the quality of the pic.

more MPs just means you can print larger pics without it pixilating.

If you were then going to print a calendar you would i think have to upload a bigger picture.

Correct me if i'm wrong somebody.

Cheers Fred

Johncs
10th November 2008, 03:39 PM
A photograph doesnt have to be sharp to win a competition, they have soft focus lenses these days, and photoshop has a blur tool, so using software is no different than using hardware.

Soft focus is fine, but the camera (and enlarger) must be in focus. One if my pictures was marked down because I created a mirror-image montage of a high-contrast image that appealed.

I printed, turned the negative over, printed again and the second was out of focus because the image on the film moved by the thickness of the film!:doh:

I didn't notice, but the judge did.

wheelinround
11th November 2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=826750&postcount=1

SO.....I was just wondering if there would be any interest in starting a photography challenge http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/shrug.gif

I was thinking the theme could be "The shed"...which would mean anything you can think of as long as it relates to "the Shed" no matter how obscure (see: artistic http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/rolleyes.gif)

Seems to me the art of taking a photo has been lost :roll: seeing the subject as it is not what you or others wish it was:rolleyes: using software etc to change a photo then becomes manipulation :no: NOT photography skills. (images of over rated fanatical, flamboyant, eccentric :roll: I'll leave it at that)

I think if manipulation is used then the original image should be shown :2tsup: even if its to show how terrible they are at photography using their top $$$$$ notch camera's and lenses.:;

I think Brown Dog had said it all at the start Open Slather as long as its shed related.

:U I may even drag out the Canon EOS 100 or the Olympus E10 or even older Practica maybe the Box Brownie now there is state of the art Camera and use film not the LOML's Canon A430 :q

Now there is a question if film is used image scanned will that be ok for printing:?

Brown Dog
11th November 2008, 09:17 AM
Seems to me the art of taking a photo has been lost :roll: seeing the subject as it is not what you or others wish it was:rolleyes: using software etc to change a photo then becomes manipulation :no: NOT photography skills.Have to disagree with you Wheelin

Photography is the process or art of producing images of objects on sensitised surfaces by the chemical action of light......this still applies to digital photography even with post production using software (which is comparable in some ways to old school dark room processes).

There is still lots of skill involved in creating a piece of art work with a digital device....yes digital photography has made it more accessible than film photography for the average punter to produce something that is quite pleasing to their eye.....but its still the eye of the nut behind the camera that will be judged..... the art hasn't been lost, it has just changed.:wink:

As for the challenge...unless someone else would like to run with it. I don't think Im going to have the time to get it done this year :-.

SWMBO and I are off over seas on holiday in early December :D... and I have managed to pick up some extra paid woodworking jobs (extra spending money :2tsup:)....so spare time to spend in front of the PC will be a bit limited :(.

So like i said if someone wants to take over....thats cool :cool: Other wise I'll be back next year to pick up where we left off :wink:

cheers
BD

wheelinround
11th November 2008, 09:23 AM
Photography is reality

Art is an impression

manipulation of photography becomes Art which then becomes impressionistic :rolleyes:

That may give us more time to take more photo's DB good to see your helping world economy enjoy your trip and woodworking Plenty photo opportunities :2tsup:

Brown Dog
11th November 2008, 09:57 AM
Photography is reality

Art is an impression

So what about those guys that spend months painting photo realistic paintings....are they artists or photographers ?

wheelinround
12th November 2008, 07:39 AM
So what about those guys that spend months painting photo realistic paintings....are they artists or photographers ?

Says it all don't you think:?

Mates mother used to work for Kodak many years ago when they used to colour/paint/correct photo's she was and they still are called "Touch up Artists" this would be the equivalent of Photoshop today or Air Brushers.

clubbyr8
12th November 2008, 08:15 AM
Then maybe all the photos should have all the EXIF data attached. That way you can see if the photo has been post processed. Not sure if the data is there when you shoot in raw then convert to jpeg.

Harry72
12th November 2008, 08:28 AM
If you modify the picture for a arty look just post a before and after, if you have just fixed some imbalances dont bother just post it corrected... its just for fun after all:)

munruben
12th November 2008, 08:41 AM
Ummm, Does anyone just take pictures any more?

echnidna
20th November 2008, 06:19 PM
So has the idea fizzled out?

jow104
20th November 2008, 06:24 PM
Thats a shame, Bob, I had got the brilliant idea of changing the inks in my printer so that they were located at different spots.:((

Harry72
20th November 2008, 10:27 PM
Not fizzled yet :D

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89241&stc=1&d=1227180382

Brown Dog
21st November 2008, 09:51 AM
So has the idea fizzled out?

Not Fizzled....its just on hiatus for re-tooling :rolleyes:.....i.e.. it's 3 weeks till I go away and I cant be stuffed at this point :D.....Unless someone else runs with it...I will pick it back up in the new year.

Nice one Harry :2tsup:......See, you don't need a shed to create an image of something pertaining to sheds that still has meaning :cool:

cheers
BD :photo:

Wongo
21st November 2008, 10:14 AM
Here is my entry. :D What do you think?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89265&d=1227222855

rotten_66
21st November 2008, 10:43 AM
Wongo,

Fantastic use of light. May have over exposed though as it seems to be rather bleached, :)

R

echnidna
21st November 2008, 03:42 PM
where's the wip Wongo? :rolleyes:

Brown Dog
21st November 2008, 04:17 PM
looks a bit out of focus to me Wongo :no:

wheelinround
21st November 2008, 04:31 PM
looks more like HDF Wongo

What is it finished with, did you photoshop it:?

kevjed
21st November 2008, 05:14 PM
:roflmao:
you guys crack me up.
Thanks
kevin

echnidna
21st November 2008, 05:42 PM
It's all in a day's work Kevin.

jow104
21st November 2008, 06:23 PM
I can see this would be a very arty farty competition when it gets underway:rolleyes:

echnidna
21st November 2008, 06:53 PM
maybe an award or recognition of the best or most interesting subject is worth considering.

masoth
21st November 2008, 10:35 PM
Imaginative frame Wongo - for those without appreciation of true art let me describe what is depicted - it is a picture of an aeroplane out of sight, me thinks. :doh:

soth