PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Knot

wheelinround
20th October 2008, 05:54 PM
LOML's first turned Camphor bowl with Celtic Carved Knot finished with a polishing wax.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th October 2008, 06:04 PM
Very nicely done. I'm impressed!

I've tried my hand at similar freehand carvings... but always end up with one section of band either "squished in" or "stretched out" because I get the spacings wrong. :- So I know it's not as simple as it looks.

The form of the bowl is nice and simple too, a perfect backdrop for the carving.

:2tsup:

It's worth a greenie but you'll have to pass it on to her... :;

Ad de Crom
20th October 2008, 06:13 PM
I like it a lot, simple but beautiful.
Great job of your LOML
Ad :2tsup:

wheelinround
20th October 2008, 06:13 PM
She is beaming with pride Skew many Thanks

When I told her of the Greenie she thought I meant you were giving her your dirty hanky :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th October 2008, 06:34 PM
She is beaming with pride Skew many Thanks

She has every right to be. I'd be very happy if it had come out of my shed. :)

When I told her of the Greenie she thought I meant you were giving her your dirty hanky :D

:oo: One forgets how others may read these things. :-

flynnsart
20th October 2008, 07:04 PM
Very nice, love it:2tsup: Had to call hubby and show him too, as he is trying to make bowls too with carving around them, he said it was Lovely:2tsup:

Donna

wheelinround
21st October 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks Ad & Donna :2tsup: from Sue

Skew & Donna its easy to do

Decide your choice of pattern

Piece of grease proof paper cut to width of pattern, wrap it around circumference cut to size/length required use a soft pencil B onwards HB to hard

then mark out pattern on the paper making adjustments to suit length

transfer to bowl edge this can be done a few different ways.

if the pattern is reversible turn the paper over and just retrace the design onto the wood

If not use dressmakers carbon paper or normal carbon paper.

The other way is to place pin holes in points of the paper design then mark those then draw in missing points Dot to Dot.

Good luck :2tsup:

munruben
21st October 2008, 02:28 PM
Nice work Sue, looks great.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woodlee
22nd October 2008, 08:40 PM
Nice work there Mrs Wheelin .Very nice indeed.

Kev.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2008, 08:50 PM
If not use dressmakers carbon paper or normal carbon paper.

The other way is to place pin holes in points of the paper design then mark those then draw in missing points Dot to Dot.

Thanks Sue. This has been where my problems start... I don't know how I didn't think of your way for myself. :-

I've always placed the paper just above where the pattern should be and marked things out by hand, like using a ruler, and errors creep in very easily.

artme
25th November 2008, 05:27 AM
Itīs all been sai that needs to be said.
Canīt help myself though... Lovely work on all counts.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
25th November 2008, 09:06 AM
Ty artme

Hardenfast
30th December 2008, 03:02 PM
Now that's pretty slick, boys & girls. Congrats Sue. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the whole OT thing. Ray, what sort of setup have you got? I didn't take much notice during the show this year.

I was watching some YouTube footage of the Legacy ornamental mill in the US a few days ago. Have you any experience with this thing?

Wayne

wheelinround
30th December 2008, 03:28 PM
Now that's pretty slick, boys & girls. Congrats Sue. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the whole OT thing. Ray, what sort of setup have you got? I didn't take much notice during the show this year.

I was watching some YouTube footage of the Legacy ornamental mill in the US a few days ago. Have you any experience with this thing?

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Bowl was hand carved with some crap chinese tools to start with then she went onto the Dremel.

:B my Rose Engine sits still unfinished it will look similar to this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wheelinround/2348558627/)

One of the members has similar to the Legacy mill on his large lathe I have not seen it in action as yet missed the day at his place during the year :doh: (we were glad tho he's at Wentworth Falls that day was snow by mid afternoon)
Had a look at it just prior christmas.:2tsup:

The candle sticks Sue did were all done using Microplanes and Dremel to finish.