PDA

View Full Version : Bevel angle testers

rsser
20th October 2008, 06:11 PM
A couple here you can make yourself:

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/widgets/angletest/angletest.html

I've found over time that my bevels get shorter with repeated sharpenings.

Maybe someone can post a web source for optimum angles for various tools, and then we can have an argument about how wrong they are :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th October 2008, 06:20 PM
That's funny. I find that mine become shorter, too.

But by the same token, I find that my techniques have changed over the years so that I prefer short bevels on most tools. The exceptions being mainly skews & detail gouges.

This is partly why I feel awkward using other people's tools - I have to stop & consciously think about tool presentation rather than just let things happen.

:think: I've no idea whether I'm simply adapting to shorter bevels due to my laziness, or whether I actually get better results that way! Maybe I'm just a hack? :D

rsser
20th October 2008, 06:38 PM
Well Skew, if you're a hack you're a thoughtful one.

FWIW I reckon my bevels have been getting shorter either cos there's increasing flex in the cheap grinder platform I use or cos I'm getting impatient with sharpening over the years and I press down too hard on the platform :-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th October 2008, 07:23 PM
I don't use the platform anymore, except for scrapers with a constant angle bevel.

I find that more & more I flip the platform down and use the top edge as a simple tool-rest like the lathe - I like my grinder set up at the same height as the lathe so that it's almost identical muscle motions to keep the bevel rubbing.

(I may be thoughtful, but that's 'cos I'm always on the look-out for easier ways to avoid work. :U)

Robomanic
20th October 2008, 07:54 PM
I like my grinder set up at the same height as the lathe so that it's almost identical muscle motions to keep the bevel rubbing.

I free-hand as well, but I had not thought of that. It would make for more natural sharpening, nice one Skew.

I imagine you don't get too many curlies though :C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th October 2008, 08:22 PM
I imagine you don't get too many curlies though :C

Not off the grinder, no. And dig-ins take a helluva lot of sanding out... :D

hughie
21st October 2008, 12:15 AM
Often thought they would be handy to have around the place. But knowing me I would never use one.

Its all done by eye and a bit of "whatya reckon"

Ed Reiss
21st October 2008, 01:45 AM
Often thought they would be handy to have around the place. But knowing me I would never use one.

Its all done by eye and a bit of "whatya reckon"

Ditto!