PDA

View Full Version : Reminder for - bandsaw blades

jefferson
20th October 2008, 09:28 PM

A friendly reminder / check on that bandsaw blade / jig that you so ably demonstrated at the turn-on.

Many of us were very impressed with the blade and the circle-cutting jig. Can you please provide (again) with the dimensions, supplier etc?

Thanks

Jeff and the crew

RETIRED
21st October 2008, 07:20 AM

A friendly reminder / check on that bandsaw blade / jig that you so ably demonstrated at the turn-on.

Many of us were very impressed with the blade and the circle-cutting jig. Can you please provide (again) with the dimensions, supplier etc?

Thanks

Jeff and the crewThe blade is a 3/8 3 skip tooth from C&S Butcher Blade Services. STEWART ROAD, MT. WAVERLEY. Phone: 9802 1040

rsser
21st October 2008, 05:16 PM
Ta .

Not bimetal I take it?

RETIRED
21st October 2008, 05:28 PM
Ta .

Not bimetal I take it?Don't think so.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st October 2008, 09:07 PM
Didn't look like it when I checked.

And oddly enough, given the name, it's only every 5th tooth that skips. Well... on the section of blade that we looked at, anyway.

(This caused a bit of confusion at first and had me doubting my eyes. :rolleyes:)

RETIRED
22nd October 2008, 07:06 AM
The skip bit had me confused for a long time too but that is what it is called.
All I know is that it cuts everything I need it to do from 1/16th veneers off 12" boards to 5" circles. Wet or dry doesn't seem to phase it.

Grumpy John
22nd October 2008, 07:23 AM
The blade is a 3/8 3 skip tooth from C&S Butcher Blade Services. STEWART ROAD, MT. WAVERLEY. Phone: 9802 1040

I suspect C & S Butcher Blade Service are going to be / have been inundated with orders for 3/8 3 skip blades. Hope they look after you :D

jefferson
23rd October 2008, 11:18 AM
I just ordered the blade - no idea on price, they are sending an invoice. Now I've got to get to post some pics (please) of the jig!

Jeff

rsser
23rd October 2008, 11:39 AM
Didn't see it on the day but it's presumably like these:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=689

Refer 'circle cutting jigs'

I made one but the blade tended to bind. Prob my poor flatware skills. And I need to round the back of the blade over.

RETIRED
23rd October 2008, 02:15 PM
It really is pretty simple.

The most important thing to remember in setting up any circle cutting jig on a bandsaw is to align the centre of the locating pin (the bit that the wood rotates around) to the front of the blade. If you don't the blade will either cut in or out.

This uses a 1/4" pin because we drill a 1/4" hole in the blank so we can mount it straight on to a screw chuck that uses a 1/4" screw. Saves time. If you have a different size adjust the pin size accordingly.

The other advantage with this set up is that if have a piece of timber bigger than the circle you want from the centre you can put a screw in as stop and cut "spiral" until the pin hits the stop.

rsser
23rd October 2008, 02:26 PM
Do you resharpen the blades or just trash them?

And your bandsaw ... 3 phase? What HP?

TIA

RETIRED
23rd October 2008, 03:08 PM
Do you resharpen the blades or just trash them?

And your bandsaw ... 3 phase? What HP?

TIANot worth the cost of resharpening so bin 'em.:D

Single phase, 1 HP (Clydesdales).

rsser
23rd October 2008, 03:13 PM
Wow.

She sure went through DJ's redgum blank nicely.

RETIRED
23rd October 2008, 04:22 PM
Half the battle with the band saw (or any machine) is to make sure it is tuned properly.

Took about 8 hours to get it right about 20 years ago but it has never really needed any major readjust in that time since.

rsser
23rd October 2008, 04:59 PM
Good machine.

One blade change on mine seems to require about the same time.

OK, a bit exaggerated, but it feels like it.

Grumpy John
23rd October 2008, 05:13 PM
Good machine.

One blade change on mine seems to require about the same time.

OK, a bit exaggerated, but it feels like it.

Is that 8 hours or 20 years Ern :D, the Scheppach is just swap over and keep going, have never needed to adjust it from day 1 :2tsup:.