PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Sherrill Hollowing System?

steck
21st October 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi,
has anyone used the Sherrill Hollowing system?
Info is on this website http://sitekreator.com/sherrillwoodworking/deep_hollowing_tool_set.html.
It seems good value. $79 US, plus postage of course.
http://1001.netclime.net/1_5/370/140/2fa/1178493546501140.JPG

hughie
23rd October 2008, 12:46 PM
I guess not.. :U

But the price seems good, check out his shipping down under cost. Sometimes that is the deal breaker.

steck
23rd October 2008, 03:33 PM
Looks like no one has used one - I hadn't seen one before I saw this on the net.

steck
23rd October 2008, 03:36 PM
Postage to Australia is $41.50 US
I knew I should have bought stuff when the $ was worth $1! :doh:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd October 2008, 07:38 PM
Even with that po$tage it looks to be reasonable value.

A few things I'd check/change, though...

are the cutters HSS? are the cutters easily sourced? if you buy easily obtained cutters locally (eg. munro cups/disks or 7mm square HSS stock) will they fit without machining? what diameter is the main shaft? IMHO 12mm(ish) is only good for light work, 20mm - 1" is far better. But that could easily be replaced at leisure. Hmmm... :think: I wonder if Hughie's oland tool shaft will fit the handle!?! Toss the "bent" rod. They're useless, as in case of a dig-in you can't stop the tool from rolling. Replace it with a swan-neck instead.

Still, even with the above nit-picks it has the potential to make for a decent hollowing system. Modular is good in that it allows for individual parts to be modified/beefed up as and when needed/affordable. :D

steck
24th October 2008, 06:47 AM
I went back to the website and these are the Specs:
The system includes the following:
1) 1 3/8" diameter solid aluminum handle that is 12" long and is knurled for better grip. It accepts the main cutter bar.
2) 5/8" diameter by 12" long solid steel main cutter bar that fits inside the aluminum handle. The main cutter bar holds the shear scraper cutters on the flat that is cut on one end, and the other end is drilled and reamed to accept the cutter holders.
3) one straight 3/8" diameter cutter holder
4) one bent 3/8" diameter cutter holder
5) one straight cutter holder that holds a replaceable carbide insert
6) one cutter holder that holds a 1/4" diameter by 1 3/4" round carbide cutter
7) one swivel cutter holder that holds a square 3/16" HSS (high speed steel) cutter
8) one 3/4" diameter shear scraper cutter
9) one radius shear scraper cutter
10) one 3/16" square cutter, two 1/4" round carbide cutters, two carbide replaceable inserts, and one allen wrench to fit all supplied hardware.

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2008, 08:35 AM

Toss the "bent" rod. They're useless, as in case of a dig-in you can't stop the tool from rolling. Replace it with a swan-neck instead.......
Yup & nup.... my very first ever hollowing tools were just bend square section & I managed to win a 2nd & a 3rd at the Townsville show with pieces made with those tools.
Allan from Wallan now owns them & the undercut rim on the big bowl we did at Ern's in July last year was done with one of those tools.

The whole kit looks fairly useful to me, the only thing that I may have doubts about until I had a closer look is that TCT triangle cutter looks like a steel cutter.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2008, 01:06 PM
The whole kit looks fairly useful to me, the only thing that I may have doubts about until I had a closer look is that TCT triangle cutter looks like a steel cutter.

Fairy nuff.... "useless" may be a bit of hyperbole, but I still think a swan-neck is the better choice.

I'd like to try the triangular cutter, I can see it having it's uses, but all in all I think I'd fit an Oland tool to the handle and only swap between that and the cutter on the far right of the pic. Then again, I'm lazy (couldn't be bothered constantly swapping bits) and biased. (towards oland tools.) :D

hughie
25th October 2008, 08:10 AM
but I still think a swan-neck is the better choice

I have both or similar and have had to fit a extra handle to counter act the torsional forces, other than that it works fine

I'd like to try the triangular cutter, I can see it having it's uses,

pm me about this I might be able to help.

GC
25th October 2008, 10:35 AM
Looks pretty interesting.

What does that all work out to be in AUD$?

Why not see if a group buy would lower the postage or at least spread it out?

GC

steck
29th October 2008, 07:34 AM
Looks pretty interesting.

What does that all work out to be in AUD$?GC

$120 US is about $186 Australian dollars, today.

Why not see if a group buy would lower the postage or at least spread it out?

GC
I am not sure if this is what I want to buy, especially as the price has skyrocketed with the Ozzie Dollar falling so much.
If there are some people who want to buy one I am willing to ask Sherrills if they want to do a better deal.
Usual note: I have no connection with them at all.