PDA

View Full Version : Veneering shaped panels

Howdya do that
22nd October 2008, 12:06 PM
Below is a picture from salty72's website (hope he doesn't mind) I ordered some from him today.
http://www.043turning.com.au/images/uploads/Veneers/V_BE_BLK_wood01A.JPG

Is it possible to make a panel such as the one in the attached picture using veneer? or can you actually buy solid pieces of timbers like this and other rare species.

Wild Dingo
22nd October 2008, 09:32 PM
Is it possible to make a panel such as the one in the attached picture using veneer? or can you actually buy solid pieces of timbers like this and other rare species.

Three options as I see it...
Option 1... Buying the exotic timber might prove bloody expensive!!
Option 2... However making an insert using layers of cheeper veneer and that one as the face veneer wouldnt...
Option 3... make a ply insert to fit and glue the veneer to it (remember to glue another peice of veneer underneath to equal out the moisture content!)

So...

Option 1... EXPENSIVE... although depending on how LARGE a peice your after maybe not?

Option 2... Cheeper

Option 3... Cheepest

All will give you the finished look you want from that peice of veneer

Cheers
Shane

Frank Drew
23rd October 2008, 01:03 AM
In general, the more wildly figured the wood, the more unstable it will be in solid form, plus more expensive. Thus we have veneers, and veneered panels are quite common and fairly easy to do.

You can veneer over a somewhat similar piece of solid wood so that when you cut away to raise the center the resulting edges aren't so different from the center; or, you can veneer over MDF or similar, that has had edging applied that will be revealed when you raise the center.

As Shane mentions, it's important to veneer the backside of the panel for balance, but you can use a less expensive piece of veneer that's the same thickness.

rjfritz
29th October 2008, 04:54 AM
If your in need of some veneer feel free to contact me at [email protected] or check me out on ebay rjfritz123
thanks ron