View Full Version : Sharpening With Mike Mahoney

Ed Reiss
22nd October 2008, 12:19 PM
Good vid on sharpening basics.

YouTube - Tool Design and Grinding with Mike Mahoney

Ad de Crom
22nd October 2008, 05:57 PM
Ed, very instructive video.
Are you doing the same? Or like me freehand?
Is it just a matter of your own experiences, or have you take some lesson of this video?

Ad :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2008, 06:22 PM
That's the closest that I come to using a sharpening jig. My scrapers. skews & "straight ended" gouges are all sharpened the same way; it gives consistency across the edge on tools that IMHO need it.

For any grinds that need the handle to be swept around, I tilt the table forward to expose the back edge and use that as a tool rest, the same as on the lathe. With the grinder set to the the same height as the lathe, it means the same swinging motion is used that you use to keep the bevel rubbing during turning.

That way if it "feels" right it is right. :)

Mind you, I do need to dress the back edge of the table occasionally with a file, to keep it straight and flat(tish). I'm sure we've all ground a groove in the back edge by accidentally touching it to the wheel at some time or another. :-

jow104
22nd October 2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for that video, the best I've seen .

Is the platform a commercial item or was it scratch built?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2008, 06:37 PM
They're readily available as commercial items.

eg. Jim Carroll (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144916) carries a range. He's a local Aussie supplier, but I'm sure you can easily find similar over your side of the pond.

They're also simple enough to make at home, esp. if you're not fussed about having a channel for a mitre gauge - which I never use anyway.

My first was simply made of wood. :)

jow104
22nd October 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for info. I'll approach the misses and put in a request for pocket money earlier. :)

Ed Reiss
23rd October 2008, 12:27 AM
Ed, very instructive video.
Are you doing the same? Or like me freehand?
Is it just a matter of your own experiences, or have you take some lesson of this video?

Ad :)

Hi Ad...am doing the same as Mahoney. When I started turning 26 years ago it's the way I was taught to sharpen and have stayed with the method. Back then there were no commercial jigs like the Oneway or Wolverine...just the tool rest and freehanding.

Here's a pic of my "ancient" tool rest I made back then...don't use it any more for turning tools, just to sharpen the axe and lawnmover blade, and the occasional kitchen knife when SWMBO gets on my back to do so!:C lol

wheelinround
23rd October 2008, 08:36 AM
Great Video Ed until I make my sharpening Jig tools are done the same way using te tool rest as he is doing its the way I was taught years ago.

I loved those angles he was sharpening at many have told me these are wrong yet when I use them a cleaner cut is produced.:U

munruben
23rd October 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Ed, I have downloaded the vid so I can watch it over and over. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
23rd October 2008, 12:16 PM
I loved those angles he was sharpening at many have told me these are wrong yet when I use them a cleaner cut is produced.:U

Whatever works for you may not work for the other person...if your getting cleaner cuts then it's right for you.:2tsup: