PDA

View Full Version : First sail of my new BETH on video!

outofthenorm
22nd October 2008, 12:47 PM
I just received an email with a Utube link of a short video showing the first moments underway in my new BETH Canoe. Taken on Oct 18th. by a club member. Some wicked fog, but a nice little breeze :D:D

Canook - the newest BETH

- Norm

CCBB
22nd October 2008, 01:06 PM
She looks slippery!

Congrats. Now it is a time of getting to know her ways.

Cheers,
Clint

arbordg
22nd October 2008, 01:44 PM
She's quite lovely, and looks amazingly fast. Wish the video had gone on for a while longer. More please!

BobWes
22nd October 2008, 01:57 PM
Very Nice! Congratulations. :2tsup:

And I second the call for more video!

Bob

Boatmik
22nd October 2008, 02:40 PM
Oh .. this is great Norm!!! Thankyou.

Everyone ... don't push Norm too hard ... Canada is well into autumn now.

MIK

Papa
22nd October 2008, 02:53 PM
Like a lot of things in life, a day that will live fore ever!

Three cheers.

Hip hip hurray!:2tsup:

m2c1Iw
22nd October 2008, 06:25 PM
Yep nice, the first thing I thought of is that Beth is a little rocketship so it does require a well drilled preflight:D

The second thing was hope he can find his way back zipping off into the fog like that.

Great stuff Norm

outofthenorm
22nd October 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone. As Papa said, the first sail is always unforgettable, and I'm glad to have even this little bit of video.

I had two worries that day. One was the fog - I didn't have a compass on board, so I couldn't go very far from the dock. Just a hundred yards out, until I lost sight of the anchorage, then immediately turn around and come back. I did that about 20 times :D. The second worry was that I would dump her immediately and embarrass myself forever. Didn't happen, and the boat went even better than I expected.

As Mik has said many times, she's not really a boat for a newbie sailor, but for anyone else, she's both a challenge and a thrilling ride. So let's get going and BUILD MORE BETHS!

BTW, Mik is also right about the weather. The temp this morning is 1 degree Celsius! Winter is coming early.

- Norm

robhosailor
17th November 2008, 10:04 PM
Congrats for Norm!!!
Fine boat, nice movie.