PDA

View Full Version : Gizmorama: new type of super-glue?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2008, 07:33 PM
From the latest version of Gizmorama (an e-mail periodical)

Super strong adhesive is created

U.S. scientists say they've created an adhesive that's 10 times stronger than the force used by geckos to stick to surfaces and walk up walls. The gecko's ability to stick is produced by myriad pillars located at the micro-nano scale on the underside of its foot, the researchers said. Because there are so many pillars so close together, they're held tightly to the surface the gecko is walking on by a molecular force called the Van der Waals force that causes uncharged molecules to attract each other.

In the new research, University of Dayton Professor Liming Dai and colleagues constructed their adhesive from two slightly different layers of multi-walled carbon nanotubes. The lower layer is composed of vertically aligned nanotubes, while the upper segment that contacts the surface it is sticking to is composed of curly nanotubes.

They said the adhesive works best when pulled down parallel to the surface it is sticking to in an action called shear adhesion. That arranges the tips of the curly nanotubes so they have maximum contact with the substrate, maximizing the Van der Waals force. The complex research appears in the journal Science.

Sounds like velcro on the molecular level?

I wonder if it'll ever be available for woodwork!? :U

weisyboy
22nd October 2008, 08:27 PM
thats was all double dutch to me.

all i know is gekos are so cool. anything that can jump off the cealing and land back on the cealing has got my vote.

Sawdust Maker
22nd October 2008, 09:00 PM
Think I read something similar about 10 or so years ago - ie the force of 10 geckos

May the force of ten geckos be with you :D