PDA

View Full Version : Aspire

Greolt
23rd October 2008, 01:41 PM
Vectric have released their new software called Aspire.

Most regulars here have probably already heard about it.

And Rod has most likely been beta testing it for a while. He's done the right thing and kept mum about it though. :U

It looks to have a lot of Artcam type 3D modelling tools.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html

Perhaps Rod could give us a his thoughts on it now that it is released.

For those who already own Vcarve Pro there is an introductory upgrade price.

Shame about how the value of our dollar is at present.

Did a quick comparison and best buying is in UK pounds at the moment.

Greg

John H
23rd October 2008, 07:45 PM
Looks like a good product, but having bought the full V-carve/Cut 3D/PhotoVCarve bundle recently, I can't justify the outlay.

rodm
23rd October 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Greg,
I have not been on the Beta team for this one. The price is more for the professional or at least somebody that can recover the cost by selling their product.
I knew Aspire was around but this is the first look I have had at it.
Still getting over the price.

Zoot
24th October 2008, 08:08 AM
I have had a look at the videos on their website and it certainly looks like a great program. But as Rod said, the price is a bit of a shock!

I am wondering if some rich Aussie CNC member could buy the program and provide a service to their poorer CNC friends to develop custom designs and sell the G-code at modest cost? I have looked a couple of times at the 3D models that are being sold overseas, but at US$50 a pop or there abouts, plus exchange rate difference, they are just too expensive for us in the antipodes.

I will be interested to see what others think of the program.

Cheers,

Alan

crocky
24th October 2008, 09:20 AM
Yes, it looks nice... but the price for a hobbiest is not too good and as Rod says it is more for the professional user I think :(

WillyInBris
24th October 2008, 12:11 PM
Yes well I swallowed my tongue when I found the price as well would have been good but just to many $$$ for my liking then you have the exchange rate I wont even bother thinking about that one.

cabnet636
3rd November 2008, 01:26 AM
i would strongly urge any one with vcarve pro to download the demo, watch the videos and decide whether it is worth it to wait until after the initial trade up offer is expired,

with other 3d at thousands more i had no trouble justifiying the cost,

this is one hang of a program

jim

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_features.html

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=0b0c61751ad514ce4ea04889156a85e4

simso
6th November 2008, 05:35 PM
Yeh, its pretty flash stuff, But gee you would have to pump out a lot of goodies to even recoup the purchase price let alone start to make a profit. I think personally theyve overpriced the aspire package. So much so that it wont be that popular, becuase people are not using it.

rodm
14th November 2008, 01:47 AM
Well I got over the price after reviewing a few of the other software packages.

Becasue I already have a VCarvePro license it cost $1,200 AUS at the then exchange rate.

First impression is that it is a big step above VCarve Pro and Cut3D and the feature that impresses me is the ability to make 3D drawings on screen without having to be a CAD guru. Click and drag stuff and for anybody already familiar with Vectric tools it is just an extension of their existing drawing set so the learning curve should be easy.

All the existing VCarve pro files upload in to the Aspire software which was a relief to me as I have hundreds of jobs on file. There is no need for me to open VCarve Pro anymore.

Once I get my new machine finished I wil run a couple of jobs and post them on the projects thread.

cabnet636
14th November 2008, 01:55 AM
i have had my aspire about two weeks and have to strugle to find time to work with it, like others i am no cad guru and work more from trial and error than knowing what key does what on the key board. i will say this i made my first file in less than 30 minutes!,, i must recommend watching the tutorials.

jim

rodm
14th November 2008, 02:06 AM
Hi Jim,
Yes I have spent the time waiting for delivery going over the videos. I have been using Vectric software for a couple of years and just point and click most of the time. I think this is the strength of their software that you do not need to invest a lot of time learning how to use it.

John H
14th November 2008, 01:26 PM
The software looks great, but getting approval from OC Home Command to finance the purchase is a hurdle at the moment. :(

Greolt
14th November 2008, 01:52 PM
Well I got over the price after reviewing a few of the other software packages.

I wondered how long it would take. :D

Good onya Rod. We will be looking forward to some pics of your 3D masterpieces. :)

Greg

crocky
14th November 2008, 08:46 PM
Had to be someone like Rod to buy it, shame the exchange rate is so terrible at present :(

I would like it, but.... keep checking the exchange rate.... not yet.....

Good on you Rod, can you do a.....

rodm
15th November 2008, 01:31 AM
Well somebody had to bite the bullet. :D
Glad none of you were here to observe the grovelling and false promises made. :rolleyes:

Bob I only make thingys, doovalackeys and whatsits. Take your choice. :D

crocky
21st November 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm waiting for a disc to come, I ordered it today (and no, I did not get a discount).

I have some good idea's for use of it, hmmmm :2tsup:

John H
21st November 2008, 05:40 PM
I originally wasn't going to worry about getting Aspire, but the more I looked at what it could do, the more I wanted it.

I managed to convince the wife that I needed to have it (I timed my heavy pleading when my tax refund came through). So I'm waiting for my disc to arrive too.

I got the discount and paid in £ which worked out around $200 cheaper than paying in US$

crocky
21st November 2008, 07:00 PM
The more that I read, the more I wanted it :)

I have got a week of learning before the disc gets here, I think it will be worth it :)

rodm
21st November 2008, 07:11 PM
Onya Bob and John :2tsup:
I have already forgotten the cost. Haven't had much of a chance to use it with the new machine build but in the fullness of time...........

Greolt
21st November 2008, 07:20 PM
C'mon you blokes, give it a rest. I have been trying hard not to think about it. :D:):D

Greg

John H
21st November 2008, 08:00 PM
You know you want it Greg :)

John H
27th November 2008, 05:56 PM
A DVD turned up in the mail today and the wife has already put an order in for this dragon to go on each end of a spice rack. :oo:

crocky
27th November 2008, 08:18 PM
Got mine this morning too and that chinese/japanese dragon looks pretty good too :)

Studying the tutorials before I start cutting :D

rodm
27th November 2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Bob/John,
The interface is very similar to Vcarve Pro so you will pick up on it straight away. There is no need for you to use VCarvePro as all 2D features and drawing tools in Aspire are the same.
The 3D stuff I picked up fairly quick as it is very simliar to Cut3D. The real power of this package is being able to create a 3D drawing from a 2D. Also being able to modify a 3D drawing without learning to be an expert draftsman.
As for cutting the jobs the rules are the same
If there is no sawdust in the air or you see the router bit below the table then go back to your drawing. :D

Greolt
27th November 2008, 09:04 PM
Just out of interest, how much was postage for you blokes?

Greg

John H
27th November 2008, 09:12 PM
Postage was included in the purchase price but the stamp said £1.87 on the package

Geoff Sims
27th November 2008, 11:24 PM
Bearing in mind that VCarvePro, to all intents and purposes, becomes redundant for those who have purchased Aspire, would it be acceptable (from a legal standpoint) for the VCarvePro licenses to be onsold to other CNCers just starting out?

If so, the dollars raised would be very handy going towards the considerable cost of Aspire. If you're not using VCarvePro anymore, why not?

Cheers

rodm
28th November 2008, 12:35 AM
Hi Geoff,
Sorry but the Aspire software I got is an upgrade from VCarvePro so therefore forms part of the Aspire agreement.
If I had brought Aspire as a total new package it might be different but these days software is sold as a license to use rather than owning the software. Transfer of that license to use is probably not possible.
The VcarvePro software was only avaialble by downloading it from their site so they have fairly good control of its distribution.
At least they allow you to use it on more than one PC unlike Microsoft who take it a step further by licensing the software to a single PC - buy a new computer and you have to buy new software. Almost all of us have a home computer as well as a computer to operate out machines. Vectric allow us to install it on both PC's.

crocky
28th November 2008, 07:02 AM
Mine was 5 pounds and 17 pence for freight, must have been on the hit up list if John's was that cheap :)

Geoff, as Rod says - it is an upgrade so it cannot be sold...

Greolt
15th January 2009, 09:53 AM
Took a little drive today and visited the boys at Vectric at there office near Redditch.

Had a nice chat with Tony, Mark and Brian. Saw a few upcoming software features that are being developed.

Anyhow to make a long story short I left with a nice new CD in a box and a smoldering credit card. :oo:

Greg

Zoot
15th January 2009, 10:08 AM
Now that is a novel way to avoid having to pay postage!

Greg, are you sworn to secrecy or can you give us the low down on what is being planned?

I think the deadline for the V-Carve Pro upgrade is the 31st Jan so am working my butt off to save up enough money to buy Aspire by that date.

How is the trip going ... are you in CNC withdrawal?

Cheers,

Alan

rodm
15th January 2009, 10:49 AM
Now that is a novel way to avoid having to pay postage!

Could not have said it better :D

Greg,
Hope you are having a ball over there.

Greolt
15th January 2009, 10:55 AM
You're right Alan, postage would have been considerably cheaper. But life is for living, hey. :p

I think I should leave the Vectric team to decide how and when that sort of info gets out. :D

Could well be public knowledge already. I don't really know. :-

The trip is nearly over. Looking forward to some sunshine. :)

Greg

Greolt
15th January 2009, 11:01 AM
Rod

Yeah the trip has been fun but I am ready for some warm weather and sunshine. :wink:

Greg

crocky
15th January 2009, 01:17 PM
That was a real postage saver :)

Good on you Greg :) and good on the meeting too...