PDA

View Full Version : Corian Inlay

Greolt
23rd October 2008, 07:57 PM
I made this today using the vee carve inlay method.

The difference being that this one is Corian. Both the white and the black Corian are speckled colours.

Stuck it together with epoxy. It is about 150mm diameter.

The background is just another bit of Corian it is sitting on for the photo.

Greg

rodm
23rd October 2008, 10:34 PM
Top shelf Greg :2tsup:

Can you post it in the projects thread? Would be nice to keep them all together as a reference to show what can be done.
Can't get hold of any Corian over here. :((

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2008, 01:10 AM
Nice!

:think: Y'know... some of those would make nice accent pieces in turned platters & bowls... Hmmm...

crocky
24th October 2008, 09:23 AM
I made this today using the vee carve inlay method.

The difference being that this one is Corian. Both the white and the black Corian are speckled colours.

Stuck it together with epoxy. It is about 150mm diameter.

The background is just another bit of Corian it is sitting on for the photo.

Greg

Very nice job Greg :)

wheelinround
24th October 2008, 09:56 AM
Top shelf Greg :2tsup:

Can you post it in the projects thread? Would be nice to keep them all together as a reference to show what can be done.
Can't get hold of any Corian over here. :((

rodm of cause you can kitchen bench tops :2tsup: false marble

rodm
25th October 2008, 03:41 AM
Hi Wheelinround,
Corian is licensed by Dupont (I think) and all the CNC'ers over here have tried and can't get hold of any. Something to do with loosing their licennse so the cabinet makers and installers get a bit nervous when you ask.
Could be a Perth thing or there might be some truth in it?

joe greiner
25th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Google [corian australia] gets about 126,000 hits. Adding [perth] reduces to 3,740. Distributors may be reluctant to sell raw material to non-countertop establishments, for whatever reasons they may imagine. But countertop fabricators themselves should have lots of offcuts, especially sink cutouts, available for sale or even freebies, if you ask in a nice way. A last resort can be Dumpster diving.

Joe

rodm
26th October 2008, 01:10 AM
Dumpster Diving is good. :2tsup:

I have found a supply for acrylic sheet Dumster Diving and have scored well.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2008, 03:49 PM
We used to be given factory bin access at our local outlet for the price of a few beers :wink: but something happened in the industry a while ago that made them revise their policy. (I suspect there was either a major increase in costs, a new factory mgr with a very dark world view or, most likely, both. :rolleyes:)

The last time we turned up we were told that they'd be recycling their offcuts in future for areas such as building up the bullnoses, etc. on the front of counters and asked, quite politely, to "please go away and don't come back."

rodm
26th October 2008, 04:30 PM
Yes it is sad as we seem to be loosing our culture of helping others.
One would figure by the time it got to the bins it had no value to them so what damage is it going to cause.
Fortunately there are still a few out there willing to help others and I have seen plenty of good gestures happen on this forum. :2tsup:

joe greiner
26th October 2008, 10:17 PM
The usual blather is about liability for injury to the Dumpster divers. One of our local scrap metal dealers previously allowed scavenging in the back lot to select purchases; access is now denied, and the goods get shipped out.

For countertop offcuts, only Corian and Formica Solid Surfacing, and maybe a few others, are suitable for turning. Beware of Silestone, Zodiac, and such, unless your objective is dull cutters in a hurry. DAMHIKT. These are all registered trademarks, BTW; I think.

Joe

joe greiner
26th October 2008, 10:23 PM
But, back on topic:

That's a very nice looking work, Greg. Can you provide a reference or description of the "vee carve inlay" method? (Just to keep it in this thread)

Joe

Greolt
27th October 2008, 09:09 PM
Can you provide a reference or description of the "vee carve inlay" method?

Joe

Here is a link to a thread on the vectric forum that explains how to do it with Vcarve Pro.

I am sure it can be done with Artcam and Type3 etc. but I am not familiar with those programs.

Greg