PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper Help

steiner1000
24th October 2008, 06:03 AM
Hello,

I am in need of some advice. I have a delta mini lathe and want to turn some bottle stoppers. I did the basic - got some wood, kits, a drill chuck and a mandrel. The problem I am having is that when I am turning my stopper the drill chuck comes out of the lathe after just a slight amount of pressure from my gouge. I bought a cheap tapered drill chuck from Harbor Freight for 10 bucks and was wondering if that is my problem or something else. I really do not want to put the end stock on the piece of wood since it makes things to close for comfort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chad

DJ’s Timber
24th October 2008, 07:03 AM
Sounds like you need a drawbar mandrel for your drill chuck, this allows you to put a long bolt through the headstock to secure the chuck to the lathe, normally this is the best way to mount a drill chuck to the h/stock as the action of turning can loosen it

Gil Jones
24th October 2008, 07:18 AM
Hello Chad, your problem is a normal occurrence, as the Morse Taper can come loose from a drive spindle easily (especially if there is any contaminants, like rust or sawdust, on either surface). If the small end of your Morse Taper does not have a threaded hole in it for a draw bar, you can carefully drill and tap it to take a 1/4" x 20 tpi threaded rod that is long enough to extend through your headstock spindle, and secure it with a washer and nut. This arrangement will keep the chuck from coming loose. See the attached picture.
Cheers,

Ed Reiss
24th October 2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Chad...

What DJ said is the best way to resolve the problem.

I did bottle stoppers for years as part of my wholesale/retail items, and used the same method as you i.e. #2mt chuck...not from Harbor Freight (can't comment on their stuff - never bought anything from them), but probably comparable, and had the same problem of it backing out if too much pressure was applied to the piece. Ultimately I resigned myself to leaving an extra 3/8th's of an inch more length on the blank and then using a live center in the tailstock for support, then turning the stopper, then parting of the extra.

Good luck.

wheelinround
24th October 2008, 09:52 AM
easier sollution when putting the chuck in to headstock wind the jaws back on the chuck then a short sharp/hard tap with a block of wood & mallet will secure it :2tsup:
same as if you were putting it in a bench drill

steiner1000
27th October 2008, 01:05 AM
Thank you very much for all of the help. I can't wait to get back to my garage and give this a try. All the best.

Chad

Mobil Man
27th October 2008, 02:01 AM
You can get a mandrel that screws onto the headstock from PSI or CSUSA. That will also let you use your drill chuck for other things.