PDA

View Full Version : Sending wooden objects overseas

Tony S
3rd April 2004, 09:33 PM
Hi All,

I've been asked to make a jewelry box for a friend to send to her daughter in Scotland. Does anybody know if there are any problems sending wood overseas?

thanks,
Tony

soundman
3rd April 2004, 09:51 PM
From what I understand.
Providing that it is properly finished & sealed there shouldn't be a problem.

If they are sus of it they will probably neuk it. Thats what they do here.

DavidG
3rd April 2004, 10:23 PM
With finished wood:

Out bound to UK I have had no problem.

Inbound. No real problems except if they find a little hole in it.
It gets nuked then.

Chesand
4th April 2004, 07:56 AM
A friend of my daughter took a beautiful jewellry box back to UK a few months ago and as far as I know had no problems.

Tony S
5th April 2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks for that fellas. That's pretty much what I thought. Now to get started on the box!
cheers, Tony

jackiew
14th April 2004, 08:00 PM
only circumstances when you might hit problems is if you were to make the box out of an "endangered" timber

UK subscribes to the " Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora - CITES "

That said the chance of anyone at UK Customs and Excise being able to recognise what a box is made of anyway is probably squat ...

Customs here are very much more on the ball .. to the extent that they will unseal the plastic wrap round catalogues with "fair trade" products in them which have been sent from overseas and insert leaflets warning me that if I ordered anything made of animal or plant materialsfrom the catalogue I could expect to see it confiscated!!! At Melbourne airport the Wheat bag my son gave me for mothers day ( which I declared ) was carefully unpicked the contents was emptied out and they gave me back the empty bag :-(

your biggest risk is of having the contents of your parcel nicked in transit

Tony S
15th April 2004, 12:21 AM
Well the box is finished and photos are in the gallery here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&postid=51704#post51704)

I've no idea what the wood is. It's all been recycled from old busted furniture that I've scavenged. Some is obviously pine but the rest? Maybe walnut...